• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

BB%B :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/philips-viva-collection-airfryer-trade-in-black/3283078?Keyword=air+fryer

1.8 lb capacity  $ 199  =  $ 160 + Tx

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/philips-viva-avance-digital-airfryer-trade/3268889?Keyword=air+fryer

2.6 lb capacity  $ 350 = $  $ 280 + Tx

there are of course grilling racks that fit each one.

sadly  no Tax Holiday this year in MA.  which usually comes around just about now

Edited by rotuts (log)

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

nope.  could not even find it at the ca.com

odd.

has anyone found the AirFryer at Costco USA ?

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@rotuts

Believe that is my model.  Cannot help you with the size differential. You might want to try Costco.ca website.

It was there but I see it no longer is although the accessories are still showing up at the very bottom of the page where it was when I checked a day or so ago!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

So breakfast ... Sweet potato fries with chili mayo. 

Fast, easy, tasty. Crispy ....no.  Greasy...somewhat.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

First off, congratulations on your new acquisition/toy!

I hope it lives up to your expectations. I too am looking into such an addition to my kitchen, but have started a new topic:

that provides a reasonable alternative. 

p

@Anna N

""  Greasy...somewhat ""

operator error ?   did you spray or add oil and mix ?

went down to BB$B inspire of the weather.

they had both the digital and the smaller analog side by side.

neither app is small, and the larger digital seems humongous   think : the latest Cuisinart 

the mechanism for removing the cooking unit is different for the digital , you will have to note it in a video.

the system on the digital on display did not go in and out easily and did not lock in easily either .

maybe Customer Abuse ?    the digital is on sale for I think 260.  that's not reflected on the web price.

can't say if they will give you another 20 % off  

the grilling rack is not stocked  at least in my store.

they will take a coupon and order it in the store, but there might be shipping charges.

1 hour ago, palo said:

First off, congratulations on your new acquisition/toy!

I hope it lives up to your expectations. I too am looking into such an addition to my kitchen, but have started a new topic:

that provides a reasonable alternative. 

p

Thank you. Been there, done that. Heavy, awkward, unwiedly. YMMV

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

""  Greasy...somewhat ""

operator error ?   did you spray or add oil and mix ?

went down to BB$B inspire of the weather.

they had both the digital and the smaller analog side by side.

neither app is small, and the larger digital seems humongous   think : the latest Cuisinart 

the mechanism for removing the cooking unit is different for the digital , you will have to note it in a video.

the system on the digital on display did not go in and out easily and did not lock in easily either .

maybe Customer Abuse ?    the digital is on sale for I think 260.  that's not reflected on the web price.

can't say if they will give you another 20 % off  

the grilling rack is not stocked  at least in my store.

they will take a coupon and order it in the store, but there might be shipping charges.

Operator error?  You impugn me, young man!  I used about a half teaspoon of oil and tossed them in it with my hands.  I might try to spray next time. My suspicion is that sweet potatoes do not lend themselves to crispness no matter the appliance you apply to them.  But I will address the greasiness either by reducing the amount of oils or by using a spray oil. Stay tuned.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna NFWIW, I have never met a cripsy, non-greasy sweet potato fry - even conventionally fried, or in restaurants...  I've had some start out ok, but after 5 minutes at the table, all crispiness has left the building....  maybe just my luck, but I tend to avoid them now.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Anna NFWIW, I have never met a cripsy, non-greasy sweet potato fry - even conventionally fried, or in restaurants...  I've had some start out ok, but after 5 minutes at the table, all crispiness has left the building....  maybe just my luck, but I tend to avoid them now.

I agree with you. Very recently we had a discussion on this very topic on eG with some claiming that the Japanese sweet potato did better than our standard North American versions.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I certainly agree that SPF's are are extremely difficult to create , if not impossible.

there are said to be  magic coatings that help   .....

Yes, I believe you can make a crispy coating but it defeats the health aspect of sweet potatoes. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.

Lightly sprayed with Pam olive oil. Certainly fixed the grease but left them dry and lacking any hint of having been fried. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Did not take me long to go off script.:D   Reheated something for my lunch as I couldn't stand another serving of sweet potatoes.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I hate sweet potato fries. I don't hate eating them but I hate that they exist as a restaurant menu item if I happen to work at said restaurant. People want them crispy, they barely get crispy and don't stay that way for the time it takes to get a plate from the kitchen to the table. So a certain percentage come back requested to be more crispy. You go round and round that circle until you do indeed manage to get them to stay crispy... and then they send them back as overcooked and "too dark". Which they are... but only because the person kept insisting they be cooked more. So getting them crispy in the air fryer may indeed be a futile effort.

• Like 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

28 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I hate sweet potato fries. I don't hate eating them but I hate that they exist as a restaurant menu item if I happen to work at said restaurant. People want them crispy, they barely get crispy and don't stay that way for the time it takes to get a plate from the kitchen to the table. So a certain percentage come back requested to be more crispy. You go round and round that circle until you do indeed manage to get them to stay crispy... and then they send them back as overcooked and "too dark". Which they are... but only because the person kept insisting they be cooked more. So getting them crispy in the air fryer may indeed be a futile effort.

And one I have definitely abandoned!   They simply do not lend themselves to becoming crispy but time and time again you come across the expression "crispy sweet potato fries" in restaurants, and recipes, and blogs.  It's as if everyone else believes in them except me.:/

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

160C x 40 mins with top and bottom layer switched around the mid point.  The skin was crispy though not as crispy as in the CSO.  I think they were neither better nor worse than thighs I have done any other way. I enjoyed the novelty of it all and putting the 2 basket parts and the rack into the dishwaher. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night I tried curly fries.  Cut with the KA Spiralizer attachment (didn't get the potato centered as well as I thought, so a lot of them are crescents).  Soaked in water with three changes for 45 minutes, patted dry and tossed with 1 tsp olive oil, then cooked at 360F for 5 minutes and then 390F for 7 minutes.  Came out great.

curlyfries.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@mgaretz

wonderful

Ive thought of moving on from the PAF  

as I have a CSB.  the various things I might make in the PAF  Im guessing can be done as well or better in the CSB.

they would take more time in the CSB.

but Im back in the Mix looking at those Spiral Fries.

I do hesitate to ask,  not for long , Id love to see calamari w tentacles  

with perhaps a cornflour dusting w spices   then maybe an oil spray  ( for crispness ??  )

if I could make Chinatown like crispy calamari   that would be smoothing Id like

in the BOS 'Burbs   I can't get what I get in Chinatown.  re slat and pepper calamari

who knows why.  can't be that difficult to make in the 'Burbs  but they do it so differently that it not

not even close.

• Like 1

@mgaretz

Those look really good!

Let's face it most people who buy an air fryer want to make French fries. Anything else is just icing on the cake.  But if you can't make decent fries then you'll consider your investment wasted. So today I returned to the French fry puzzlement and tried something very similar to mgaretz

I cut the fries somewhat smaller, soaked them in icewater for 30 minutes, drained and dried them thoroughly then tossed them with a measured 1/2 tablespoon of duck fat. I used only one russet potato. 

I preheated the fryer for five minutes at 160°C then cooked the fries for exactly 5 minutes at that temperature. I let the fries cool, then returned them to the fryer and increased the temperature to 200°C and cooked them for a further 12 minutes, shaking them every once in a while.  These turned out much more satisfactory. I should have let them go a few more minutes and they might have crisped up appropriately.  Still they were perfectly satisfactory.   Dipped into garlic aioli made with Hellmann's, they made for a delicious lunch alongside garden tomatoes and leftover chicken thigh. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

But icing is good, too.  Fruit crumble. Peaches and some of the delicious mixed fruit jam that Kerry made up in Manitoulin. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N   

I was about to move the air-fryer into a secondary position

but your Fry segment gave me a bit of pause.

granted if you only have the PAF and not the CSB   then that's  different for the PAF folks.

so  I do like the crisp that you've made in the PAF .

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz

wonderful

Ive thought of moving on from the PAF  

as I have a CSB.  the various things I might make in the PAF  Im guessing can be done as well or better in the CSB.

they would take more time in the CSB.

but Im back in the Mix looking at those Spiral Fries.

I do hesitate to ask,  not for long , Id love to see calamari w tentacles  

with perhaps a cornflour dusting w spices   then maybe an oil spray  ( for crispness ??  )

if I could make Chinatown like crispy calamari   that would be smoothing Id like

in the BOS 'Burbs   I can't get what I get in Chinatown.  re slat and pepper calamari

who knows why.  can't be that difficult to make in the 'Burbs  but they do it so differently that it not

not even close.

I started off the continuation of this thread by saying that I had tried getting an air fry equivalent in the BSO, and for this application it should work the same as a CSB.  While the BSO is OK at it, the PAF is much better and less hassle to redistribute (ie shake) the food as the basket makes it easy.

Calamari is something I will eat if someone else orders it, but don't look to me to make it!

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I preheated the fryer for five minutes at 160°C then cooked the fries for exactly 5 minutes at that temperature. I let the fries cool, then returned them to the fryer and increased the temperature to 200°C and cooked them for a further 12 minutes, shaking them every once in a while.  These turned out much more satisfactory.

@Anna N, FYI I did not let them cool between steps.  Just a shake, back in, reset the controls and press start.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz 

"  for this application it should work the same as a CSB "

no.  the CSB is very different than a dry oven.   that's not to imply a steam oven will give you fries.

I know what CSB is, but would you use steam to make fries?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com