• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I've been having fun with the air fryer.  I cooked a pork tenderloin the other day and have also made grilled cheese sandwiches a few times for lunch.  I do those on broil, and they are fantastic.  I'm keeping track of the temperature, times and settings I've used as well as other people's who have posted theirs.

Is this the new air fryer? Or the one you had borrowed? I think you had borrowed one. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Is this the new air fryer? Or the one you had borrowed? I think you had borrowed one. 

Yes, this is the new one.  I received it last Sunday.  I had borrowed my sister's, she has a Corsair.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Yes, this is the new one.  I received it last Sunday.  I had borrowed my sister's, she has a Corsair.

I must have missed the conversation. What kind of air fryer did you get?
@Anna NI too prefer nekkid wings 😉

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I bought the Instant Vortex Plus 6 in 1. The Plus (I think) refers to the window in the drawer and the odor filters.

I like naked wings too except for the LA Cage  wings at Costco.  If you are near a Costco Business Centre they sell fresh 6/10 wings which are larger than the grocery store wings.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

Well the only accessory I use all the time are those silicon mats which you knew about even before I mentioned them, other than that rack)s0 are the only other thing I use. It will also depend on your cooking style - Amazon sell various Accessory packs which include various baking dishes for cakes, mini muffins, egg bites etc - worth picking up if you might see those procedures in your future.

That said, the most important accessory you should save up for is a second Instant Vortex!!!!!! 😛

p

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Are there any air fryer accessories that would be handy to have?

You probably already have the things I consider essential --  instant read thermometer, tongs for nonstick, spatula for nonstick.

I use parchment paper that I fold and punch holes in to make liners, but you already have the silicone liners.  I wouldn't want to be without some kind of liner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I use parchment paper that I fold and punch holes in to make liners, but you already have the silicone liners.  I wouldn't want to be without some kind of liner.

Help me out here. I cannot get my head around the need for a liner. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Yeah, just for easier clean up.  I only use them for certain things.

OK I guess I just use a different route.

I bought the whole accessory kit but except for the small cake pan, it gathers dust.

I use the small cake pan and a couple of small stainless steel trays to avoid messes. So if I am going to cook a frozen chicken Kiev I will line a small tray with foil and confine the mess. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I ordered these, more for my built in oven than for the air fryer. But, I will use it if needed. I just line the sheet pan with the thinner foil.
51da8DIRBqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 3 weeks later...

@Chimayo Joe the only time I recall eating those “Smiles” potato product was when I was in college and and deemed them a fun late night snack. I wasn’t sober when I ate them. 

I have the basket style air fryer. I have a toaster oven. I haven’t used my toaster oven (a Breville but not a combi or APO or anything fancy) in months. I throw bread into my air fryer and it makes toasts quickly. It’s not amazing toast but it’s earned a spot on my soon to be limited counter space. 

The air fryer does a good job at reheating left overs. Not all of course; but most things it does a lot better than a microwave and the clean up is minimal. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

My Ninja Foodi Grill died last night...not that I'm complaining.  It lasted almost 3 years.  In that time I've not used my oven at all.  I did find that I barely used the grill option and daily used the air fryer option so an air fryer is indispensable for me.

I'm considering The Cosori Duo Blaze which has a heating element on top and bottom and is 6.8 quarts.  Does anyone have any experience with this model?

16 minutes ago, saluki said:

My Ninja Foodi Grill died last night...not that I'm complaining.  It lasted almost 3 years.  In that time I've not used my oven at all.  I did find that I barely used the grill option and daily used the air fryer option so an air fryer is indispensable for me.

I'm considering The Cosori Duo Blaze which has a heating element on top and bottom and is 6.8 quarts.  Does anyone have any experience with this model?

No, but Costco has the XL version of the Foodi Grill with probe on sale for $149.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

37 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

No, but Costco has the XL version of the Foodi Grill with probe on sale for $149.

Price is right but looking at the Cosori  thinking I don't really use the grilling feature much on the Ninja  and it takes up alot of storage space especially that grill grate.

1 hour ago, saluki said:

No personal experience with it, but I checked out the customer reviews on Amazon.  People seemed to love it except for a few who had complaints about it smoking if grease drips into the basket, the controls being difficult to read sometimes, and the design of the tray.  Reviews were overwhelmingly positive other than a very small number.  The food falling through the holes in the tray would bug me.

image.thumb.png.93eeb6b2a1b96f9d63171ba22f52f691.png

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)

4 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

The food falling through the holes in the tray would bug me.

image.thumb.png.93eeb6b2a1b96f9d63171ba22f52f691.png

Sure does look like a spider to me.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't know how big of a problem those central holes in the tray would be since the top and bottom elements design is supposed to eliminate the need to shake the food, but it still seems like something that Cosori could have easily avoided.

10 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I don't know how big of a problem those central holes in the tray would be since the top and bottom elements design is supposed to eliminate the need to shake the food, but it still seems like something that Cosori could have easily avoided.

My Ninja has that tray also and nothing has fallen through yet.  But then, I haven't had it very long.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)

I just entered the Air Fryer generation on a tangent.  I have relations who are averse to overly fussy controls on kitchen equipment.  They are still using a Toast-R-Matic toaster oven and dial control crock pot.   Also, they love frozen egg rolls/spring rolls but the toaster oven doesn't seem to do great and also doesn't have a safety shutoff timer.    And using the range oven (big) is just too much for small amounts of that type of cooking.

I purchased a 2 qt. Chefman (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) to test drive myself so I can pass it along with real world use on those items.   It just has dials on it.  Looking for tips/tricks on frozen egg roll type things to help make them successful.  Anyone done egg rolls/spring rolls/dumplings?    They would be using the versions from HMart, Costco, TJ's, local Asian supermarket.

I'm kinda looking forward to trying the frozen items myself.   

They also like a handful of fries now and then, so I gleaned that frozen fries are the way to go with a shake in the middle.