• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

18 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I haven't seen video of dehydrating food in that particular fryer, but I've seen it done in fryers that don't go that low in temperature with limited success.  Haven't ever tried it with mine.

i'm not seriously into dehydrating food and doubt that I ever would be, but someting like this would probably give me enough capacity.

Yes, indeed. That would be quite a reasonable capacity for a small batch of something. I just wonder how things tolerate the strong downflow. Unless of course the air fryer  has a dehydrator setting which reduces the airflow. Anyway it is an interesting concept. Thank you for chiming in. My mind is a little more open to the idea now. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Yes, indeed. That would be quite a reasonable capacity for a small batch of something. I just wonder how things tolerate the strong downflow. Unless of course the air fryer  has a dehydrator setting which reduces the airflow. Anyway it is an interesting concept. Thank you for chiming in. My mind is a little more open to the idea now. 

I wrote to Instant and asked them about the dehydration setting.  Will report back.

• Like 3

On 6/7/2022 at 10:18 PM, mgaretz said:

That was a long time ago. Since then there’s been a BSOA and now the Ninja Foodi Grill which is an excellent air fryer in addition to being a grill and a dehydrator. I really like it plus it has a probe to measure the meat temperature when grilling. 

The comparison I was talking about was between the Ninja and the BSOA making fries from scratch. 

The Philips was retired long ago as I could never get it to stop smoking once I made the mistake of air frying some pork belly. 

Damn, I was really considering the Phillips. 

what do you use to grill in lieu of the PAG? 

ETA-reading comprehension is important! 😂. I have an airfyer that I love and use a lot and has a large capacity. Maybe I should start considering an electric grill. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)

This was their reply which didn't tell me much.  I specifically asked if the fan speed had been lowered for this setting which they did not answer.

Thank you for contacting us at Instant Brands, we're happy to help you!

Please be informed that the air is just hot enough to dehydrate the food inside and that it is enclosed inside a basket.

We hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any more questions or if we can offer you further support.

• Haha 1

High fan speed would probably conducive to dehydrating, all you have to be concerned about is a low temp (95 - 160F) those baskets Chimayo Joe referenced up thread will fit the Instant Vortex and give you about 192 square inches of drying space

p

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, palo said:

High fan speed would probably conducive to dehydrating, all you have to be concerned about is a low temp (95 - 160F) those baskets Chimayo Joe referenced up thread will fit the Instant Vortex and give you about 192 square inches of drying space

p

It seems to me that high fan speed would not be conducive to dehydrating anything that is light as whatever one is trying to hydrate would blow all over the inside of the machine, although that would probably not matter for say, beef jerky.

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Damn, I was really considering the Phillips. 

what do you use to grill in lieu of the PAG? 

ETA-reading comprehension is important! 😂. I have an airfyer that I love and use a lot and has a large capacity. Maybe I should start considering an electric grill. 

I still use the PAG, but not as often as I used to. I did just use it the other night. Now, for indoor cooking I mostly use the Ninja Foodi Grill (the one with the temp probe).  It also air fries, dehydrates and roasts/bakes, but I haven’t tried the latter. At the moment my Costco has the the XL version with probe for $179. I got the smaller version there for $139 on sale. 

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It seems to me that high fan speed would not be conducive to dehydrating anything that is light as whatever one is trying to hydrate would blow all over the inside of the machine, although that would probably not matter for say, beef jerky.

Granted

p

1 hour ago, palo said:

p

It’s all those little pieces of dried fruit being blown about that gives me the heebie-jeebies. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Sorry, Elsie I didn’t read this before I posted a similar comment. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Over here @Dejahshows us yet another take on an air fryer oven. Quite interesting. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

It’s all those little pieces of dried fruit being blown about that gives me the heebie-jeebies. 

I called the Instant people earlier today.  When I asked if the fan speed was reduced on dehydrate mode he said no.  So, if I put a flower petal in there, the fan would not move it, I asked.  That's right, he said.  To make a long story short, I still don't know what happens to the air speed on that setting.  He kept assuring me that whatever was in the fryer "would not blow up".  Huh?

I ended up ordering the Instant Vortex with the window and odor filter.  My decision came down to the Instant or the Cosori and the Instant won by a hair.

I did do frozen fries last night at 400F for the recommended 15 minutes but they weren't all crispy so I gave them another 5.  Still some not so crispy ones but better.  I think my basket was too full.  Doing plain chicken wings ronight.  

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did do frozen fries last night at 400F for the recommended 15 minutes but they weren't all crispy so I gave them another 5.  Still some not so crispy ones but better.  I think my basket was too full.  Doing plain chicken wings ronight.  

I spent my afternoon watching videos about the ninja air fryer oven that @Dejahjust bought. I was astounded to note that the one thing it did not do well was frozen french fries! This is a very different appliance. I was quite fascinated.

Will be interested to see how your chicken wings turn out.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

One of the biggest mistakes people make when using an air fryer is overfilling - forget all the pictures showing the basket chock filled with fries or whatever - want to allow for air circulation - even shaking halfway through won't properly cook a full basket.

@ElsieD - I would take the Instant guy's assurances with a grain of salt - I tried grilled cheese last night in the AF and checked online for time and temp - three different sites all suggested using toothpicks to anchor the bread if it was thin so it wouldn't blow off - I did a little experiment I have the Vortex - I placed 2 pill bottle caps (2 inch) on a rack to simulate almost dry apple slices - chose dehydrate @135F - the fan came on at a very low speed and I thought I would have to come back and rewrite this post - after about 1 minute the fan speed increased to "normal" and I could hear the caps bouncing around  one had completely left the rack and ended up sideways between the rack and basket - for dehydrating the Vortex is a fail - might do jerky or fruit leathers but your petal will be in the wind - mind you I wouldn't consider using it for dehydrating because of its limited size ( i doubt you could fit a single apple sliced in it even using the stacked racks mentioned above) A purpose-built dehydrator does the job much more efficiently with a much larger capacity. btw the default setting for dehydrate was 8 minutes @135F - I doubt if anything would dry in that length of time, usually you're talking hours  - I might be wrong as I assumed it came up as 8 minutes and not 8 hours - I didn't wait to see it change just the increase in fan speed - my bad☹️

A good accessory to ease clean-up, fits the Vortex:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B095P4525X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

p

• Thanks 1

Last night I was sleep deprived, over tired, and braindead from work.  I did not trust myself around hot oil.  I did my Alexia fries in the APO instead.  Very disappointed.  Like eating salty cardboard.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 minutes ago, palo said:

I might be wrong as I assumed it came up as 8 minutes and not 8 hours

I did watch a video today of an air fryer used as a dehydrator and for an apple the time was eight hours!  I am pretty sure it was the Ninja 9 in 1 air fryer oven. With a 13 x 13 surface area it supposedly could handle one apple. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night I was sleep deprived, over tired, and braindead from work.  I did not trust myself around hot oil.  I did my Alexia fries in the APO instead.  Very disappointed.  Like eating salty cardboard.

Frozen french fries seem to challenge just about every model of air fryer. And most other ovens. 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I did watch a video today of an air fryer used as a dehydrator and for an apple the time was eight hours!  I am pretty sure it was the Ninja 9 in 1 air fryer oven. With a 13 x 13 surface area it supposedly could handle one apple. 

Yeah, if you want to dehydrate get a dehydrator - time may not change but capacity is its strength

p

21 minutes ago, palo said:

Yeah, if you want to dehydrate get a dehydrator - time may not change but capacity is its strength

p

Nothing wrong with the APO as a dehydrator.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I just wonder if you have looked at the type of air fryer that Dejah got?  It is very different! 

https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-9-in-1-digital-air-fry-toaster-oven.product.100735741.html

I think this one or similar. 

Yes it is! And it's cheaper than Amazon, which is 234.98. I got mine 2 weeks earlier when it was 17% off = 199.98.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

I just wonder if you have looked at the type of air fryer that Dejah got?  It is very different! 

https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-9-in-1-digital-air-fry-toaster-oven.product.100735741.html

I think this one or similar. 

Yes, I did have a look.  I actually looked at it when I first started thinking about buying one as my toaster isn't doing a very good job these days.  In the end, I decided I wanted the basket type.  I too, am looking forward to seeing @Dejah's experiments.

• Like 1