• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

18 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I think we're talking about the same type of design--a drawer with a removable tray(grill) that sits in the bottom of the drawer.

I've had Alexia and McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer. They get crispy, but the problem with those is that the edges of the crinkles have a tendency to get too browned, and over-browned sweet potato doesn't taste as good as over-browned white potato.  I haven't gotten around to trying straight cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer yet.  I'm hoping those will be easier to get right.  FWIW, I like McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries better than Alexia.  Alexia crinkle cut have garlic & onion powder, too much for my taste.  I don't think Alexia straight cut sweet potato fries have that.

The sweet potatoes I tried were Alexia straight cut.  I have a few left, barely enough to cover the bottom of the tray.  I'll do those up to see if part of my problem was quantity.

We did up some chicken wings from Costco, brand name Le Cage that we were happy with.  I want to get some fresh ones and see how those turn out.  Do any of you use the pre-sets?  I asked my sister about that and she says she never uses them.

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The sweet potatoes I tried were Alexia straight cut.  I have a few left, barely enough to cover the bottom of the tray.  I'll do those up to see if part of my problem was quantity.

Make sure to give them a good shake halfway through the cooking.  The sweet potato fries I've cooked have been stickier than other fries and take a little more shaking to get them to move.

Nah, I don't use the presets either.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Make sure to give them a good shake halfway through the cooking.  The sweet potato fries I've cooked have been stickier than other fries and take a little more shaking to get them to move.

Nah, I don't use the presets either.

Thanks.  I did shake them several times and as they warmed they were sticking togethe.  I tried to separate them a bit but they did not want to cooperate.

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Do any of you use the pre-sets? 

I was about to answer and say that there were no presets on mine! That gives you an idea of how often I use them. I have had lovely roasted potatoes from my air fryer. It is theb larger one so perhaps that is the difference. I have also done them in a small non-stick pan which fits into the air fryer and that seems to work really well. I consider crispy sweet potato fries a figment of somebody’s imagination. 
I buy PC brand Chicken Kiev and find that 380°F for 18 minutes to work perfectly every time. One of those and a side salad makes a fine meal for me. 
I also happen to think that the air fryer is the easiest way ever to guarantee perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs. 

Edited by Anna N
Multiple typos or whatever the name is for badly transcribed dictation. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I also have a Cosori. I don’t use it a great deal, and I do begrudge the counter space it takes up.

They do not fit into everyone’s lifestyle. I know that for certain because when I was much more capable of taking advantage of many meal preparation options I gave mine away. Now that I am much more challenged physically I think it’s the bee’s knees and the cat’s meow. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, ElsieD said:

A couple of questions:  which air fryer do you have and would you get the same one again?  Do you use it as much as you thought you would?

I have a Holsem air fryer that I bought several years ago during an Amazon Prime sale. (It's this one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), for those curious.) I don't use it much, partly because I have to haul it out of storage (it hasn't earned a permanent spot on the counter) and partly because of its design. It has the round basket that nests inside, and supposedly latches to, the bottom tray. As a couple of people have discussed above, the basket sometimes drops the tray when I'm pulling stuff out to shake it. I also find the round configuration to be inconvenient for most of my uses: too small a diameter, too tall; stuff needs frequent turning.

If I were to buy another air fryer I'd go with one more oven-shaped, but I'm not sure this does anything that the CSO or BSOA couldn't do at least as well for my uses. I know a convection oven isn't the same as an air fryer, but I haven't become convinced that an air fryer is useful for my cookery. YMMV.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

39 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I know a convection oven isn't the same as an air fryer, but I haven't become convinced that an air fryer is useful for my cookery. YMMV.

I agree with this sentiment. My Cadco 1/4 sheet oven provides an "approximate experience" to an air fryer, based on my limited experience with one (borrowed my sister's). And, of course, there is no comparison in capacity. Or in counter space consumed 😄

• Like 2

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I don't think sweet potato fries are ever crispy. (nor ever any good, but that's just a personal thing).

Agree. Just expect a good flavor but soggy. But using the Kenji potato method, a couple fellas seem to have found a method I'm trying tonight with sweet potatoes and trying the Kenji method with russets. Not sure their last names but Dan and Ethan I think. They use the simmer in water/baking soda or vinegar method with a slurry before roasting in the oven. 

I went down that rabbit hole 10 years ago when every blogger said they make the 'best' and crispiest sweet potato fries. BS.

I did have good luck with rice flour after soaking in an ice water bath. 

Seems the trick is to simmer briefly first. 

SW fries...Ethan

SW fries...Dan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I were to buy another air fryer I'd go with one more oven-shaped, but I'm not sure this does anything that the CSO or BSOA couldn't do at least as well for my uses. I know a convection oven isn't the same as an air fryer, but I haven't become convinced that an air fryer is useful for my cookery. YMMV.

One of the reasons I am asking my questions is because I have both the BSOA and the CSO and I am wondering what the air fryer will do for me that my current set up won't.  I use both of them to such an extent that I rarely use my regular oven.  But, and this may be due to the operator (me) or my current machine, but I don't like the air fryer function on the BSOA.  I have room for an air fryer so that isn't an issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Agree. Just expect a good flavor but soggy. But using the Kenji potato method, a couple fellas seem to have found a method I'm trying tonight with sweet potatoes and trying the Kenji method with russets. Not sure their last names but Dan and Ethan I think. They use the simmer in water/baking soda or vinegar method with a slurry before roasting in the oven. 

I went down that rabbit hole 10 years ago when every blogger said they make the 'best' and crispiest sweet potato fries. BS.

I did have good luck with rice flour after soaking in an ice water bath. 

Seems the trick is to simmer briefly first. 

SW fries...Ethan

SW fries...Dan

Looking forward to reading about the result.

I should add I don't have an air fryer but a 24" wall oven stacked over a built-in steam oven. Wall oven has convection so similar. Small footprint so it cooks evenly. Efficient but small kitchen. Eye level side door wall oven is a dream. 

I'm cooking the russets first via Kenji. That should starch up the water for the sweet potatoes. Russets go in the oven, Sweets I'll simmer for a few, then join the roasting russets later. 

• Like 1

The problem with the CSO/BSOA and a "24 inch wall oven" is that their interior capacity lessens the "air fryer" effect - granted their interior capacity allows much more flexibility, but at the expense of speed and heat concentration - if I'm cooking for one (as I am) or looking to prepare a side dish the air fryer is the "go to" - I have a CSO, a BSOA and an APO and the Air Fryer gets the most use, followed by the APO - the CSO is in the basement and the BSOA is mainly used for plate warming

p

• Like 3

1 hour ago, palo said:

The problem with the CSO/BSOA and a "24 inch wall oven" is that their interior capacity lessens the "air fryer" effect -

Yes, this is an important point. Although the air fryer has been described as a tiny convection oven its airflow is from above rather than from the sides or the back. I don’t think it can do anything better than any other appliance but as pointed out it can do things faster.  
Testing recipes in other appliances does not mean that they will work equally well in an air fryer. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was about to answer and say that there were no presets on mine! That gives you an idea of how often I use them. I have had lovely roasted potatoes from my air fryer. It is theb larger one so perhaps that is the difference. I have also done them in a small non-stick pan which fits into the air fryer and that seems to work really well. I consider crispy sweet potato fries a figment of somebody’s imagination. 
I buy PC brand Chicken Kiev and find that 380°F for 18 minutes to work perfectly every time. One of those and a side salad makes a fine meal for me. 
I also happen to think that the air fryer is the easiest way ever to guarantee perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs. 

Hard boiled eggs?   How did you make the roasted potatoes?  Were they crispy?

27 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Hard boiled eggs?   How did you make the roasted potatoes?  Were they crispy?

Eggs: Straight from fridge into basket of air fryer 275°F for 15 minutes and then into an ice bath. 

Potatoes were tossed in a little oil seasoned and roasted in air fryer 380°F for 20 minutes or until crisped to your satisfaction. These were at the small whole potatoes cut in half. I posted a little earlier in this thread about them. 

Edited by Anna N
To correct temperature for potatoes from 400° down to 380° (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

One of the reasons I am asking my questions is because I have both the BSOA and the CSO and I am wondering what the air fryer will do for me that my current set up won't.

Look up thread for my comparison of BSOA fries and air fryer fries.  While I love my BSOA, I also love the air fryer for certain things (also because it's a grill).  

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 6/6/2022 at 1:32 PM, ElsieD said:

Looking forward to reading about the result

I cooked the russets first via Kenji method. Fresh rosemary garlic oil. Sweet potatoes I over cooked in the same russet water.--after cooking the russets. So that was a fail. I did find it a bit fussy for a potato side dish. Always game for a good outcome and the russets potatoes were good or better than most. Not sure worth the fuss. 

Just a personal preference to roast a full sheet pan with a mixed veg and many varieties at once. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Look up thread for my comparison of BSOA fries and air fryer fries.  While I love my BSOA, I also love the air fryer for certain things (also because it's a grill).  

I started reading the thread and taking notes and one of my notes says you have a Phillips XL.  Phillips is one brand I am looking at.  I'll check out your comparison posts, I remember reading them but I'll go back and look at them again.

@Kim Shook had me lusting after pound cake.  In flipping through the Cosori recipe book I saw a recipe for lemon pound cake so I decided to make one for dessert.  The recipe said "small" loaf pan, I tried my appx. 3" x 5" pan and had to transfer the batter to another one because it was too small.  Strike one for not being more specific.  I followed the instructions and pre-heated the air fryer, and when complete, in went the cake.  At 30 minutes, the thing dinged and I tested the cake.  My toothpick was wet while the top was in danger of burning.  My thermopan read 185F.  Strike no. 2.  Back in it went for 10 minutes with a piece of foil over the top.  At the end of 10 it appeared to be done.  I flipped it over to a rack and only 2/3 of it released from the pan.  Once cool I discovered that just under the top crust there were still some unbaked spots.  Small ones, but still....  the cake tasted fine but we both thought it was overly sweet.  The blueberry compote and whipped cream were delicious.  Now, I doubt very much that I would ever bake anything in an air fryer and so it really didn't matter, but I thought someone might be interested in how well the baking function worked.  It might be nice if some company manufactured one with a window.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It might be nice if some company manufactured one with a window.

Instant Vortex Plus with ClearCook:

https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-ClearCookTM-OdorEraseTM-Dehydrate-Stainless/dp/B096N28SZP/ref=sr_1_14?crid=1FOPYVE5UKVXJ&keywords=instant+vortex+air+fryer&qid=1654648197&s=kitchen&sprefix=Instant+Vortex%2Ckitchen%2C108&sr=1-14

Not sure how functional it is, but I have the one without the window and is great as an Air Fryer

ATK rated the Instant Vortex Plus 6 Quart as its best with the ClearCook model as its upgrade pick

Here's their take on Air Fryer Ovens:

Quote:

What To Avoid

• Air-Fryer Ovens: All the oven-style models we tested were difficult to use and produced lackluster results. They had bigger footprints but couldn't actually fit much more food inside. Having multiple levels of racks didn't work well in any of the air fryers we tested. The upper rack blocked heat from reaching the lower rack, resulting in unevenly cooked food. Despite our efforts to manage this uneven heating by switching and rotating the racks, the food never finished cooking at the same time. And because the cooking racks and baskets didn't have handles, we had to use oven mitts. Crumbs and drips fell through the perforations in the racks and onto the floor of the ovens or, more frustratingly, onto our kitchen floor. They were also a pain to clean; crumbs stuck to their bases and hinges and were impossible to remove.

p

48 minutes ago, palo said:

Instant Vortex Plus with ClearCook:

https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-ClearCookTM-OdorEraseTM-Dehydrate-Stainless/dp/B096N28SZP/ref=sr_1_14?crid=1FOPYVE5UKVXJ&keywords=instant+vortex+air+fryer&qid=1654648197&s=kitchen&sprefix=Instant+Vortex%2Ckitchen%2C108&sr=1-14

Not sure how functional it is, but I have the one without the window and is great as an Air Fryer

ATK rated the Instant Vortex Plus 6 Quart as its best with the ClearCook model as its upgrade pick

Here's their take on Air Fryer Ovens:

Quote:

What To Avoid

• Air-Fryer Ovens: All the oven-style models we tested were difficult to use and produced lackluster results. They had bigger footprints but couldn't actually fit much more food inside. Having multiple levels of racks didn't work well in any of the air fryers we tested. The upper rack blocked heat from reaching the lower rack, resulting in unevenly cooked food. Despite our efforts to manage this uneven heating by switching and rotating the racks, the food never finished cooking at the same time. And because the cooking racks and baskets didn't have handles, we had to use oven mitts. Crumbs and drips fell through the perforations in the racks and onto the floor of the ovens or, more frustratingly, onto our kitchen floor. They were also a pain to clean; crumbs stuck to their bases and hinges and were impossible to remove.

p

Would this include the APO?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Now, I doubt very much that I would ever bake anything in an air fryer and so it really didn't matter, but I thought someone might be interested in how well the baking function worked.  It might be nice if some company manufactured one with a window.

Well you have my admiration for even trying it. When I googled “baking in the air fryer” I was shocked to see how many recipes there are. The problem is that it is very hard to judge the real results. There does appear to be a Bundt pan for some air fryers which might improve the success rate. Nevertheless I have to wonder if it’s a case of once you have a hammer everything is a nail. I can certainly see if the air fryer were the only appliance available then it might be worth the effort to perfect baking in it. 

Edited by Anna N
Transcription failures. (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I started reading the thread and taking notes and one of my notes says you have a Phillips XL.  Phillips is one brand I am looking at.  I'll check out your comparison posts, I remember reading them but I'll go back and look at them again.

That was a long time ago. Since then there’s been a BSOA and now the Ninja Foodi Grill which is an excellent air fryer in addition to being a grill and a dehydrator. I really like it plus it has a probe to measure the meat temperature when grilling. 

The comparison I was talking about was between the Ninja and the BSOA making fries from scratch. 

The Philips was retired long ago as I could never get it to stop smoking once I made the mistake of air frying some pork belly. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs