• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

1 hour ago, palo said:

@ Anna N & other Air Fryers - have you ever found "Air Fryer instructions" on any foods you've purchased?

Most preparation instructions are for oven or microwave.

Would they not be helpful as not everyone has access to someone like Anna N "to take one for the team" and benefit us with her experiences?

p

I think the differences among air fryers might make this tough. 

2 hours ago, palo said:

@ Anna N & other Air Fryers - have you ever found "Air Fryer instructions" on any foods you've purchased?

Most preparation instructions are for oven or microwave.

Would they not be helpful as not everyone has access to someone like Anna N "to take one for the team" and benefit us with her experiences?

p

Some of the frozen foods are now starting to have air fryer instructions.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I read somewhere that some products were including  Air fryer  instructions but I have yet to come across any. 

“Illustrating the popularity of the air fryer, some frozen foods now have instructions for using this appliance right on the package, and I think we will see more of this in the months to come. Meanwhile, for a general rule of thumb, set the air fryer at 400°F and start checking smaller items at around eight minutes, larger items around 10 minutes, and give the basket a nice shimmy and shake halfway through the cooking to redistribute the food, and give it a chance to brown and crisp up evenly.”

From here.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

50 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I was thinking of your bog standard round pot, heater above as opposed to air fryer "ovens", which I'm guessing what most people have, present company excluded - us egulleteers just can't leave a good thing alone 😇

p

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Tougher than say, for instance, microwave instructions? Many leave you to work it out yourself stating that their instructions are good for a X000W model. In the end I think the best they can offer you is a starting point. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Finally got a chance to play with the air fryer mode (which they call Air Crisp).  Did a few sweet potato tots.  The tots' directions for the oven called for 425F for 20-24 minutes, while the manual called for 360F for 20-22 minutes (actually just tots, not sweet potato).  So I went for 425 for 18 minutes and at 9 minutes when I shook them I knew it would be too much.  So I lowered the temp to 360 and cut the total time to 11 minutes.  Next time I will try what's in the manual.

The tots came out very nice, much crispier than I recall in the BSOA.  The Ninja heated up very quickly.  Impressed so far.  Tomorrow I plan to try some regular frozen shoestrings.

sp-tots.jpg.e17841f90e76fec172e4718fbad24db9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

On 8/14/2021 at 11:36 AM, David Ross said:

We have a local grocery store that puts out fried chicken from the previous day in the cold case, marked down, sometimes to $3.00 for eight pieces of fried chicken.  I pop it in the air fryer for about 5-6 minutes and it's crisp and juicy.  Of course not like made from scratch at the time, but still very delicious. I use it in salads, sandwiches and of course just to get my fried chicken craving in.

Jessica would like to know time and temp for that.  Publix has great fried chicken and she'd love to extend it's time.

I'd like to know if anyone has done arancini and how that worked.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Jessica would like to know time and temp for that.  Publix has great fried chicken and she'd love to extend it's time.

I'd like to know if anyone has done arancini and how that worked.  

I do the fried chicken at 375 setting and about 8 or 9 minutes, gets nice and hot, crispy and juicy and I use an old, as in one of the first, air fryers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mgaretz Have you tried grilling pork yet?  I went to the nearby meat packing shop yesterday and got some beautiful loin chops.  I plan to cook  them on the grill.  I'm just not sure which temperature setting to use.

We have a Hutterite farmers market here in town  on Saturdays where I got some super fresh corn and beefsteak tomatoes.

• Like 1

Last night I did Safeway brand shoestring frozen fries.  The package said for an oven to use 425F for 20 minutes, the Ninja instructions called for 350F for 20-24 minutes, but that was for a full pound.  I only did 4 ozs, so I cut it back to 16 minutes and that was a little too long.  The fries were very crispy, actually a bit overdone, but very edible.

fries.jpg.ce45a53e549cbec3a11d2edcd56b30d4.jpg

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Last night I did Safeway brand shoestring frozen fries.  The package said for an oven to use 425F for 20 minutes, the Ninja instructions called for 350F for 20-24 minutes, but that was for a full pound.  I only did 4 ozs, so I cut it back to 16 minutes and that was a little too long.  The fries were very crispy, actually a bit overdone, but very edible.

fries.jpg.ce45a53e549cbec3a11d2edcd56b30d4.jpg

Take the Ninja suggested temp times with a grain of salt.  They are way off...

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Last night I did Safeway brand shoestring frozen fries. 

OK this is not a reflection on you at all but these are not what I think of as shoestring fries. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

No photograph but in the interest of learning just how versatile the air fryer could be I attempted to reheat some frozen cabbage rolls. 
I placed them in a disposable  aluminum dish which I covered with tinfoil and put them in the air fryer at 350° for 20 minutes. After this time they were barely even thawed. I gave them another 20 minutes and they were still far from heated through. At this point I removed the foil and put them in the CSO on steam bake 325°F for 15 minutes they were great. (I would normally do these in the CSO for 20 minutes and they would be perfect.)

Edited by Anna N
To remove the unintended bolding. (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Cooked a 3/4" pork chop in the Ninja for about ten minutes on the second highest setting.  Excellent!  Tender and juicy.  Baked potato and fresh corn sauteed in butter.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

What is you idea of them?  Even smaller/thinner?

Yes. Almost like Hickory sticks. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Think of the French "allumette," or "matchstick" cut. About 1/8" square.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Panko chicken tenders and more fries.  Both were cooked together for 14 minutes at 350F using Air Crisp and came out great.  Juicy chicken and the fries were crispy but not over-cooked.

panko-chicken9.jpg.1d09817cd7dc8be3b1a2efe86f992a80.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

10 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Panko chicken tenders and more fries.  Both were cooked together for 14 minutes at 350F using Air Crisp and came out great.  Juicy chicken and the fries were crispy but not over-cooked.

Thank you. This is extremely helpful. Were the chicken tenders frozen?

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, lindag said:

Cooked a 3/4" pork chop in the Ninja for about ten minutes on the second highest setting.  Excellent!  Tender and juicy.  Baked potato and fresh corn sauteed in butter.

this is what I am going to attempt tonight. Happy to hear that they turned out tender and juicy. I was looking for thicker chops, but the only ones I could find were about 3/4".

Having just bought a small (cooking for two) air fryer, I am beginning to experiment. Before the following fish, I had only cooked some store-bought jalapeno poppers and eggrolls when we had an impromptu gathering for which I had little time to prepare. Despite the fact that my daughter's boyfriend blistered his lip badly from digging in too soon, both appies turned out very well. (Not blaming the burned lip on the air fryer!)

Since we have a plethora of cod, I decided to try fish sticks just for fun. they turned out really well. Just the normal flour, egg, seasoned panko treatment. 8 minutes on each side at 400 degrees.

B81156E1-6A37-4B16-81D0-59DFD9149131.jpeg

7726223B-5B31-4266-95A6-814945F68BB6.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thank you. This is extremely helpful. Were the chicken tenders frozen?

No.  They were bare tenders and then I coated them, shake n bake style. Panko, paprika, granulated garlic and onion, salt, pepper and some sugar. Sprayed with olive oil just before going in.  I didn’t flip them. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com