• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

So I feel forced to ask the question – – – does this appliance when used as a grill belong in the air fryer topic? I guess I will need to track down a video of it in use!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

So I feel forced to ask the question – – – does this appliance when used as a grill belong in the air fryer topic? I guess I will need to track down a video of it in use!

You are probably right.  I have one more grill test to do tonight (steak) and then on to some air fryer mode tests.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

4 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

You are probably right.  I have one more grill test to do tonight (steak) and then on to some air fryer mode tests.

I'm keen to read about how it compares to the air fryer function in the BSOA.

• Like 1

8A24D30A-2EF8-4C67-AC77-F14D68FFD4A0.thumb.jpeg.5ef3d44dae930bc52f0d5bc7ca6f5ff3.jpeg

I am not usually a fan of ketchup (except on toast) but I am a huge fan of McDonald’s hashbrowns. These supermarket hashbrowns were reasonable but did not measure up to McD‘s. 10 minutes at 400°F (no additional oil) and I had something to eat. 
As an aside not all Mc D’s hashbrowns measure up either. When they are good they are ethereal. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Anna N, have you tried cooking sausages in the air fryer yet? That was the thing that put my friend over the top. Or do you like sausages? 

I do like sausages and I don’t think I have cooked them in the air fryer yet. Thanks I will add them to my next shopping list. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Currently @ Amazon 

the 

https://www.amazon.com/COSORI-Electric-Reminder-Touchscreen-Certified/dp/B07GJBBGHG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=air+fryer&qid=1628876213&sr=8-5

is $ 120.  ist 5.8 qts

there is a newer ( ? ) model :

https://www.amazon.com/COSORI-1700-Watt-Cookbook-One-Touchscreen-Customizable-dp-B085W3GN5J/dp/B085W3GN5J/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

and its 20 USD cheaper

the instaPot :

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Vortex-Plus-Air-Fryer/dp/B07VHFMZHJ/ref=sxin_14?asc_contentid=amzn1.osa.4bdba462-0e0f-4a9e-af62-42925fb0a817.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&asc_contenttype=article&ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.4bdba462-0e0f-4a9e-af62-42925fb0a817.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B07VHFMZHJ&cv_ct_cx=air+fryer&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.4bdba462-0e0f-4a9e-af62-42925fb0a817.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_we=asin&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-earns-comm&dchild=1&keywords=air+fryer&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07VHFMZHJ&pd_rd_r=e8615f5d-53f2-46cb-b841-203dd67ed90c&pd_rd_w=6xkGD&pd_rd_wg=PqZ7U&pf_rd_p=8065c57d-81c6-4bce-844a-e686936787b8&pf_rd_r=GQR1F54EHA1ZZHMQ1RAD&qid=1628876213&sr=1-1-64f3a41a-73ca-403a-923c-8152c45485fe&tag=atkamznsearch-20

wow  , thank god for Copy & Paste

they look almost identical.

Ideas pro and con ?  there seems to be a 3.7 qt Cosri , but its hard to find.

and I hace a question :

Ive seen videos for both via Amazon.

when you air fry , are the items to be fried

above the bottom  of the pan 

ie that's what the did is for ?

On 8/12/2021 at 9:12 AM, gfweb said:

I confess I'm put off by the non-linear grill marks.  Looks like it was clawed 😉 .

I, too, wondered about the grill marks but after watching a couple of videos I now understand why they appear the way they do. The grill “ribs” form a circular pattern on the grill. There is no possibility of getting the usual diamond pattern that I can see. 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ideas pro and con ?  there seems to be a 3.7 qt Cosri , but its hard to find.

and I hace a question :

Ive seen videos for both via Amazon.

when you air fry , are the items to be fried

above the bottom  of the pan 

ie that's what the did is for ?

I am not sure that anyone would be lucky enough to have all of these and hence do a comparison. I have the Cosoori (the first one that you linked to). 
I am not 100% sure that I understand your question. There is a removable basket and a drawer. Between the removable (perforated) basket and the drawer is the space where oil collects so your food is not sitting in a pool of oil. You cannot use the basket without the drawer or vice versa. At least that is the situation with the unit that I have and with the previous unit that I had.

The fan and the heating element are housed above the drawer in what one might consider the lid I suppose. 

Edited by Anna N
To add perforated for clarity. (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

thanks.  

that's what I wanted to know.

I assume you have the larger   6 qt   ( 5.7 )

Im wondering if the space savings and wt 

might make the 3.7 qt more attreraqctive for

occasional use ;  Tots , Fryes ( Fz and from scratch )

chicken wings.  

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

thanks.  

that's what I wanted to know.

I assume you have the larger   6 qt   ( 5.7 )

Im wondering if the space savings and wt 

might make the 3.7 qt more attreraqctive for

occasional use ;  Tots , Fryes ( Fz and from scratch )

chicken wings.  

Here’s the thing. In order for things to cook all the way through and brown properly they need to be spread out. If you only want 4 french fries at a time like @Shelby, the smaller unit would work fine but if you wanted a decent serving the larger unit will do the job.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

49C0627D-73C9-4905-9AB5-92075378F3A9.thumb.jpeg.dda6791bc19cf3e9e29937211dafb5c8.jpeg

I must say that this was rather good. A frozen burger and some sliced mushrooms all cooked together at 380°F for about 15 minutes. I sprayed the mushrooms with some oil but did nothing to the burger. But before I removed everything for service I dropped some butter in there and did a quick toss. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I am not sure that anyone would be lucky enough to have all of these and hence do a comparison. I have the Cosoori (the first one that you linked to). 
I am not 100% sure that I understand your question. There is a removable basket and a drawer. Between the removable (perforated) basket and the drawer is the space where oil collects so your food is not sitting in a pool of oil. You cannot use the basket without the drawer or vice versa. At least that is the situation with the unit that I have and with the previous unit that I had.

The fan and the heating element are housed above the drawer in what one might consider the lid I suppose. 

Actually there is a video I watched yesterday that compares the Cosori, Instant Pot and Ninja Grills.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My last grill test for this thread.  Steak, cooked with the probe to Rare 2 (110F) with a 5 minute rest, in which it rose to 132F. It came out OK, certainly edible and not overcooked, but I prefer SV and then a sear, so that's the way I will likely continue to make my steaks.

steak-nfg.jpg.7b88cf50e676c4afe6b188a5b2961813.jpg

steak-close-nfg.jpg.4e9b00b20a498b3dfcac50e19f393251.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My Air Fryer: Chefman 6.5 litre

https://www.amazon.com/Chefman-Digital-Liter-Quart-Fryer/dp/B07BJ21VS9/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1SYLOT14CH91T&dchild=1&keywords=chefman+air+fryer&qid=1628882685&sprefix=chefman%2Caps%2C509&sr=8-10

Large size and most importantly the basket does not detach from the handle - hard to explain but the basket that you pull out and the basket you put the food in are all one piece my first air fryer had a separate food basket that you released by way of a button, second use the basket holder released expectantly and the food basket ended up on the floor with the food - that was a tout suite Amazon return - one of the attributes of this device is the "flat basket" which gives you more capacity "so they say"

p

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Actually there is a video I watched yesterday that compares the Cosori, Instant Pot and Ninja Grills. 

Thanks very much for sharing this   It seemed to be one of the more honest reviews that I have watched. I was definitely not impressed with the Insta air fryer. A lifetime ago I might have wished for the Ninja but in the end I’m glad I have the Cosori. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Having both an Air Fryer and a BSOA - the BSOA runs a distant second - the Air Fryer's design concentrates the heat and convection at the food whereas the BSOA spreads it around the much larger oven cavity - if you can only have one the BSOA is the winner due to its much wider and varied applications, but don't expect air frying to be one of its strengths - the same goes for its dehydrating capabilities as compared to a dedicated dehydrator

p

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We have a local grocery store that puts out fried chicken from the previous day in the cold case, marked down, sometimes to $3.00 for eight pieces of fried chicken.  I pop it in the air fryer for about 5-6 minutes and it's crisp and juicy.  Of course not like made from scratch at the time, but still very delicious. I use it in salads, sandwiches and of course just to get my fried chicken craving in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

B5D803AE-F630-433D-BD06-D0158A10C3E2.thumb.jpeg.44b3e24f335922f3136d43ae0feff2d5.jpeg

My goal was to produce a protein, a carb and a vegetable as easily as possible. This was not a complete success but gave me a roadmap forward. I placed the beans which had been tossed in some oil, and the hash brown patty in the bottom of the basket. I put a rack over them and added the frozen burger. 
The hashbrowns were perfectly cooked and I was satisfied with the green beans but the burger was overcooked and as tough as shoe leather. Cooking temperature was 380°F and cooking time was 15 minutes. 
My next iteration will involve adding the burger to the rack later in the cooking cycle. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

44 minutes ago, Anna N said:

B5D803AE-F630-433D-BD06-D0158A10C3E2.thumb.jpeg.44b3e24f335922f3136d43ae0feff2d5.jpeg

My goal was to produce a protein, a carb and a vegetable as easily as possible. This was not a complete success but gave me a roadmap forward. I placed the beans which had been tossed in some oil, and the hash brown patty in the bottom of the basket. I put a rack over them and added the frozen burger. 
The hashbrowns were perfectly cooked and I was satisfied with the green beans but the burger was overcooked and as tough as shoe leather. Cooking temperature was 380°F and cooking time was 15 minutes. 
My next iteration will involve adding the burger to the rack later in the cooking cycle. 

Anna, do you still have your A4 Box?  I seldom use my A4 Box, however it might be a better choice for burgers than an air-fryer.  Though I confess the only appliance I use for burgers these days is my Paragon Induction Cooker.  The Paragon works wonderfully for me.  No regrets or excuses.

If only my kitchen wiring allowed me to use the Paragon and my APO at the same time.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I do still have my A4 box but it does not get a lot of use. It’s a matter of endurance. It’s enduring but I’m not doing quite that well!😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

My 2004 eG Blog

@ Anna N & other Air Fryers - have you ever found "Air Fryer instructions" on any foods you've purchased?

Most preparation instructions are for oven or microwave.

Would they not be helpful as not everyone has access to someone like Anna N "to take one for the team" and benefit us with her experiences?

p