• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I am making the best of a situation where I am quite limited. Would it appeal to me as much if I could still lift a Dutch oven, still fry some spices without inducing a coughing fit, deep fry without having to worry about my balance, stand at the stove for more than a few minutes?  
I definitely would not recommend it for everyone. If you have loads of space for another appliance it might complement what you already have. It does nothing that cannot be done just as well another way.  
I would not class it as an appliance likely to appeal to one who loves to cook. It works for those who need to find a way to feed themselves that doesn’t always involve reservations or takeout — the young and the very old!

Today's Wall Street Journal has a timely article about a French fry robot.  It bolts to the ceiling so does not take up precious counter space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would not class it as an appliance likely to appeal to one who loves to cook. It works for those who need to find a way to feed themselves that doesn’t always involve reservations or takeout — the young and the very old!

Does your granddaughter use it much? I think you said she was quite keen on one. If so, what types of things does she make? 

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Today's Wall Street Journal has a timely article about a French fry robot.  It bolts to the ceiling so does not take up precious counter space.

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Does your granddaughter use it much? I think you said she was quite keen on one. If so, what types of things does she make? 

No. She has shown no willingness to take it downstairs where she mostly lives. I was hoping we could share it but it doesn’t seem to be working out that way. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It boggles the mind. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am making the best of a situation where I am quite limited. Would it appeal to me as much if I could still lift a Dutch oven, still fry some spices without inducing a coughing fit, deep fry without having to worry about my balance, stand at the stove for more than a few minutes?  
I definitely would not recommend it for everyone. If you have loads of space for another appliance it might complement what you already have. It does nothing that cannot be done just as well another way.  

Well considered and said.   What is important is that we each find the necessary work-arounds in our lives.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, lindag said:

I use it mostly for grilling.  To air-fry I spray on a little olive oil, not Pam which they don't recommend saying it will get sticky..

I have decided to give it a try.  Planning on trying chicken thighs tonight.  Bone in, skin on.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I have decided to give it a try.  Planning on trying chicken thighs tonight.  Bone in, skin on.

I'll be really interested in reading about your results and opinion of it.

29 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

This is one of my favorites for the Ninja.  I grill mine on the lowest setting and brush with Bull's Eye toward the end of cooking.  Super good.  Has to be thighs for me too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

This is one of my favorites for the Ninja.  I grill mine on the lowest setting and brush with Bull's Eye toward the end of cooking.  Super good.  Has to be thighs for me too.

I actually prefer white meat, but my wife prefers dark, and these days dark meat isn't that dark anymore.  Plus, we buy Costco's thighs and they come 4-6 in a pack (and there are 6 packs) which we freeze in the packs.  Upon thawing there's too many thighs for her, so I just eat the thighs too.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I looked at this appliance more than once but it seems to take up one awful lot of kitchen real estate. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I looked at this appliance more than once but it seems to take up one awful lot of kitchen real estate. 

I agree and it's pretty heavy too.  The biggest disappointment for me re: real estate is the air fryer basket and grill can't be stored in the unit together.  Seems like with a little more engineering effort that could have happened.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

52 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I agree and it's pretty heavy too.  The biggest disappointment for me re: real estate is the air fryer basket and grill can't be stored in the unit together.  Seems like with a little more engineering effort that could have happened.

Oh. Then I am doubly glad that I resisted the temptation. Still I will be following with interest your adventures. 

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Your right about that grill grate... Also after a while its hard to clean.. I even bought a grout brush to clean it.  I don't use it a all anymore.. instead, I bought a Lodge handless round grill plate 9 1/4 inches.  I really don't need grill marks. The thing I use the most is the wired roasting rack accessory that had to be purchased separately.  

So mixed success.  I decided to use a simple spice dusting with some peanut oil on some fresh, bone-in chicken thighs, and use the thermometer probe.  But when the probe said they were done, they were still uncooked in the middle.  That could be my probe placement or the fact they they were pretty thin or both.  But after another 5 minutes on Hi (no probe, but checked with the latest ThermoWorks ThermaPen instant read thermometer), they were perfectly cooked with crispy skin and maybe just  a little too charred.

No discernable smoke and clean-up was relatively easy.

Tonight I will try some salmon and will report back.

chicken-thigh-nfg.jpg.9e10d5e750ab04d786c50a6bfe183fc6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Salmon - just plain, no seasoning or oil before putting on the grill.  Grill set to Max, no probe.  Set it for 8 minutes but after flipping at 4 minutes it appeared that if I let it go another 4 it would be overcooked.  So I let it go another two and took a temperature measurement - love the new Thermapen with the 1 second read! It was 132F so I pulled it.  We both liked it a lot!  Flaky but not dried out.

Burgers tonight!

salmon-nfg.jpg.548e9b3d757c71db5b56312741c7579e.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

E3DF9449-14BE-4405-B01C-11734C997AB1.thumb.jpeg.e8254385b0a6a10341900750ec065881.jpeg Not particularly revelatory but still very good. Shake n bake chicken thigh. 380°F x 20 minutes. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Burgers on the Ninja Foodi Grill.  These were the 1/3 lb Angus chuck frozen patties from Costco.  Cooked from frozen on Medium for 8 minutes, flipped half-way through.  (Cooked to medium rare.) Came out very good.

burger-nfg.jpg.8dcc320f6f91168de83be3f1708696ee.jpg

• Like 10

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

9 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Burgers on the Ninja Foodi Grill.  These were the 1/3 lb Angus chuck frozen patties from Costco.  Cooked from frozen on Medium for 8 minutes, flipped half-way through.  (Cooked to medium rare.) Came out very good.

burger-nfg.jpg.8dcc320f6f91168de83be3f1708696ee.jpg

Maybe it's just me but a frozen burger cooked to medium rare seems unhealthy - it's just a thing about frozen, premade burgers (with all their "ingredients") as opposed to homemade burgers (even frozen)

p

1 hour ago, palo said:

with all their "ingredients")

There are many reasons why some of us choose to purchase frozen burgers.

The ingredients in my frozen burgers are listed as beef, water, salt, herbs and spices. That sounds just about what would appear in ones I might make myself. 
Here.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

There are many reasons why some of us choose to purchase frozen burgers.

The ingredients in my frozen burgers are listed as beef, water, salt, herbs and spices. That sounds just about what would appear in ones I might make myself. 
Here.

No qualms about frozen burgers - it's my "go to" - just the doneness it was cooked at

p

• Like 1

Thick boneless pork chop, cooked with the pork preset and probe to Med. Rare (130F), flipped when it told me, and rested as it also told me (for 5 minutes).  Also marinated some squash in peanut oil, balsamic and soy sauce while the grill was pre-heating, so not that long.  Put them on along with the chop and rotated when I rotated the chop.  Both came out very well - the chop was nice and juicy and not over-cooked. Ditto the squash.

pork-chop-nfg.jpg.6111daa931323d0992263d0d193a112c.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Thick boneless pork chop, cooked with the pork preset and probe to Med. Rare (130F), flipped when it told me, and rested as it also told me (for 5 minutes).  Also marinated some squash in peanut oil, balsamic and soy sauce while the grill was pre-heating, so not that long.  Put them on along with the chop and rotated when I rotated the chop.  Both came out very well - the chop was nice and juicy and not over-cooked. Ditto the squash.

pork-chop-nfg.jpg.6111daa931323d0992263d0d193a112c.jpg

I confess I'm put off by the non-linear grill marks.  Looks like it was clawed 😉 .

So you have the BSOA and the ninja.  Any comparisons?