• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

I am interested in an A.F.

possibly this fall when its cooler.

I do like kitchen stuff , and am not sure

an AF  will help me that much .

I ask this question :

( it would be helpful to have both a CSO and an AF and have put them both through their paces )

I can make fine fries and esp Tot's  in my CSO

are AF FF & T's  that ,much better ?   is the AF  easier to use ?

the CSO is as easy to use  as anything I have.

thanks.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

should you get ether chance

would you Photo  the basket 

say on the counter w a measurement ref ?

metric is OK .    

trying to get a visual idea of the basket size.

not buying just yet 

but the Fall is coming.

The basket is 9“ x 9“. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I am interested in an A.F.

possibly this fall when its cooler.

I do like kitchen stuff , and am not sure

an AF  will help me that much .

I ask this question :

( it would be helpful to have both a CSO and an AF and have put them both through their paces )

I can make fine fries and esp Tot's  in my CSO

are AF FF & T's  that ,much better ?   is the AF  easier to use ?

the CSO is as easy to use  as anything I have.

thanks.

I don’t think the air fryer can do any better than the CSO. For me it simply seems to be less trouble. Or maybe it is still just the novelty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This could just as well have been posted in the “Unexpected Food Gifts” topic. I was given two lovely pork chops. One is quite a bit thicker than the other. I decided to cook the smaller one today. 

19AC4319-5387-449E-9583-6C7D64BF5161.thumb.jpeg.e3fef1b855fb9afa029c28c5d5fdd0bc.jpeg

It is missing that lovely golden crust that one expects on a pork chop but it was still tender and juicy and so very little trouble. 350°F x 16 minutes. I did brush a little marmalade on it towards the end. 
The last time that I did a pork chop in an air fryer was back in 2016 and at that time I had dredged it in Shake ‘n’ Bake. I have added that to my shopping list. 
@Kerry Bealjust informed me that there is such a product as frozen hashbrowns which I will also add to my shopping list. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

27B76F2B-213C-4E55-B522-087029B8CA84.thumb.jpeg.39c35adf76952029add4c624864c3911.jpeg

So good. So easy. Excuse the anticipatory feet. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

nice.

pep / time // temps ?

cheers

Seasoned with salt and smoked paprika, given a very light coating of oil, cooked skin side down at 400°F x 20 minutes. Flipped and given 2 more minutes. Temp was well above 168°F. I would probably adjust timing next time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Has anyone here bought the Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill?  I succumbed to $40 off at Coscto for the model with the probe.  But now that I've opened it and examined it and read the booklet, I'm not so sure it'll do anything better or different than my Pillips Indoor Grill and Breville Smart Oven Air.  I am seriously considering boxing it back up to go back.  So what's your experience with it?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

32 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Has anyone here bought the Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill?  I succumbed to $40 off at Coscto for the model with the probe.  But now that I've opened it and examined it and read the booklet, I'm not so sure it'll do anything better or different than my Pillips Indoor Grill and Breville Smart Oven Air.  I am seriously considering boxing it back up to go back.  So what's your experience with it?

Looks like @lindagmight have one. 
Click.  

My 2004 eG Blog

I have the 5 in 1 without the probe and love it.  I've had four different air fryers and this one gives me the most consistent results.  It has also been the easiest to clean with the ceramic surface.  The square large surface area is also useful and allows me to use some of my own baking dishes.  I do use the air fryer functions more than the grilling and use my own probe with it.  

Edited by saluki
Clarification (log)
  • Like 3

On 7/31/2021 at 12:08 PM, Anna N said:

3E46E571-C9E1-4DFA-9CDE-EE383249725E.thumb.jpeg.fef5ae0977447a6e1fe1219bee5b4ad7.jpeg

Frozen fries without any additional oil. 400°F for 16 mins. Very satisfactory. Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Still not the same taste or texture as deep-fried freshly made fries but a whole lot less trouble. 
Once again I googled to get different perspectives and most suggested spritzing  both the  basket and fries with oil. 

I took one for the team.  My store-bought frozen fries tonight were "air fried" in the APO, 20 percent steam, 204C for 16 minutes.  Quite tasty, no leftovers.  The question remains:  why do this?  Deep fried frozen potatoes are better and quicker, and just as easy.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The question remains:  why do this?  Deep fried frozen potatoes are better and quicker, and just as easy.

And terribly dangerous for those of us with certain physical challenges!  And all that oil to deal with. I will be the last to argue that they are as good as deep-fried but they are certainly easier and less messy and most of all much safer. It’s a compromise that some of us have to make. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Yes, I bought one based on my neighbor's recommendation (and Amazon reviews).

It is really worth the money and it does everything it claims to do.  I use mine all the time for burgers (with bacon jam, of course), chicken, bacon, french fries.

I have not used my PAG since I purchased the Ninja.  It works so much better, it's faster, easier to clean up and truly versatile.  Keep it andYou will positively love it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

And terribly dangerous for those of us with certain physical challenges!  And all that oil to deal with. I will be the last to argue that they are as good as deep-fried but they are certainly easier and less messy and most of all much safer. It’s a compromise that some of us have to make. 

Safer, I certainly agree.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

59 minutes ago, lindag said:

It is really worth the money and it does everything it claims to do.  I use mine all the time for burgers (with bacon jam, of course), chicken, bacon, french fries.

Do you coat most things in oil (like burgers, chops etc.) like they recommend?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

2 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Do you coat most things in oil (like burgers, chops etc.) like they recommend?

I use it mostly for grilling.  To air-fry I spray on a little olive oil, not Pam which they don't recommend saying it will get sticky..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lindag said:

I use it mostly for grilling.  To air-fry I spray on a little olive oil, not Pam which they don't recommend saying it will get sticky..

Even for grilling it recommends the oil coat.  I assume you don't use it.  I don't want to either (for grilling, but I do use it for air frying in the BSOA).

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

0CD8CA35-0A06-4494-88BE-C7D857E03ACB.thumb.jpeg.86c11925a591d1e5a94832f986cd9559.jpeg

Another attempt at a duck breast. The meat was excellent. Skin was another epic failure. It’s time I tried the low and slow route. I cooked it for 20 minutes at 300°F  turning it once at the halfway mark. Then I  flipped it skin side down and gave it five minutes at 400°F. 
I do not particularly wish to put it too close to the element. I have some health issues that smoke would exacerbate. No worries. I still have quite a number of duck breasts to experiment with. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

0CD8CA35-0A06-4494-88BE-C7D857E03ACB.thumb.jpeg.86c11925a591d1e5a94832f986cd9559.jpeg

Another attempt at a duck breast. The meat was excellent. Skin was another epic failure. It’s time I tried the low and slow route. I cooked it for 20 minutes at 300°F  turning it once at the halfway mark. Then I  flipped it skin side down and gave it five minutes at 400°F. 
I do not particularly wish to put it too close to the element. I have some health issues that smoke would exacerbate. No worries. I still have quite a number of duck breasts to experiment with. 

I'm finding your experiments very interesting.  The last thing I need is another piece of kitchen equipment but.....

55 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'm finding your experiments very interesting.  The last thing I need is another piece of kitchen equipment but.....

I am making the best of a situation where I am quite limited. Would it appeal to me as much if I could still lift a Dutch oven, still fry some spices without inducing a coughing fit, deep fry without having to worry about my balance, stand at the stove for more than a few minutes?  
I definitely would not recommend it for everyone. If you have loads of space for another appliance it might complement what you already have. It does nothing that cannot be done just as well another way.  
I would not class it as an appliance likely to appeal to one who loves to cook. It works for those who need to find a way to feed themselves that doesn’t always involve reservations or takeout — the young and the very old!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog