• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

Ohooooo

Ohooooooooooo

Ohooooooooooooooo

for only the above

the AF is back-on

my Stuff-to-Get 

Menu.

Just for those Items

Ive mentioned.

And a True Thanks

to @Anna N

for pointing the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Fries are the one thing I have wondered about.  My sister who has an air fryer likes the way the frozen fries come out.  She tried making fresh ones once and said "they took too long".  She does not particularly like cooking.

And fries from scratch are on my to-do list. I have two lovely russet potatoes. I am OK with it taking a long time as long as it requires very little attention. Most of the recipes seem to be along the same lines. I have also read all the way through this thread a number of times to get ideas.  In the next day or two I will make the attempt. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This I will declare a complete success on all counts. These drumsticks were barely any larger than the drumettes of some wings I have seen. Simplest preparation ever.  I dried them off, spritzed with some olive oil and sprinkled with some salt. Into the air fryer at 400°F for 18 minutes and turned at the halfway mark.  The skin was crispy and the flesh tender and juicy. I do not think supermarket drumsticks could turn out any better no matter which cooking method. 

4136662D-04E8-46D9-BB79-1E7FE389C51A.thumb.jpeg.e849430a860011f49f3e7beebf63b60b.jpeg

047543CF-43E7-4DEC-B29D-A58FF2B9FD40.thumb.jpeg.1f18cc4515fd908f1a422975d5ca58f5.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I did spritz the basket and fries with a little oil. I suspect a little too much oil.

Frozen fries are typically "pre-oiled" so you don't need to add any extra in the air fryer.  Fresh made fries do require oil. They are pretty easy to do - the key is getting a consistent width so they all cook about the same.  I use one of those chopper/veg-a-matic thingies or my KA spiralizer attachment if I am doing curly fries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This I will declare a complete success on all counts. These drumsticks were barely any larger than the drumettes of some wings I have seen. Simplest preparation ever.  I dried them off, spritzed with some olive oil and sprinkled with some salt. Into the air fryer at 400°F for 18 minutes and turned at the halfway mark.  The skin was crispy and the flesh tender and juicy. I do not think supermarket drumsticks could turn out any better no matter which cooking method. 

4136662D-04E8-46D9-BB79-1E7FE389C51A.thumb.jpeg.e849430a860011f49f3e7beebf63b60b.jpeg

047543CF-43E7-4DEC-B29D-A58FF2B9FD40.thumb.jpeg.1f18cc4515fd908f1a422975d5ca58f5.jpeg

SUCCESS!!!!

p

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Frozen fries are typically "pre-oiled" so you don't need to add any extra in the air fryer. 

You know even as I was spraying it I recalled that someone had made this clear. Even so I ignored it!  :laugh: 

Thanks for further clarification on fries from raw potatoes. They will have to be cut by hand using very sharp knife. I would love to give it a go right now but I’m getting full from my experiments!

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

You know even as I was spraying it I recalled that someone had made this clear. Even so I ignored it!  :laugh: 

Thanks for further clarification on fries from raw potatoes. They will have to be cut by hand using very sharp knife. I would love to give it a go right now but I’m getting full from my experiments!

Originally I used to do a two-step process (some time at 400F then finish at max temp) to simulate the par-fry technique, but these days I don't bother and do them at 450F (highest my BFOA will go).  

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

then you move on to PorkBelly

While pork belly comes out great in the air fryer, I will never cook it that way again.  It creates way too much grease and smoke.  I never could get my Philips XL air fryer to stop smoking and producing excess grease despite repeated cleanings and "burn offs" outdoors.  Finally retired it.  May revisit it some day but for now my BSOA suits me fine.  It's slower than the Phillips (and I suppose similar, smaller models) but I use the BSOA all the time for all kinds of things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

39 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

While pork belly comes out great in the air fryer, I will never cook it that way again.  It creates way too much grease and smoke. 

The smoke would present a major problem. I wonder how much putting some water in the basket would mitigate this. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

The smoke would present a major problem. I wonder how much putting some water in the basket would mitigate this. 

My guess is not much if any at all. The grease was literally everywhere.  

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

7904565B-3ADA-4309-BB44-249FE92BFC3F.thumb.jpeg.40f7e287dd134b7eb473d2ad789b95d3.jpeg

More experimentation. Frozen burger and roasted fresh green beans. Cooked together for 14 minutes at 400°F.  Won’t earn even a single Michelin star but it made a perfectly fine dinner for me without much effort or much clean up. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

7904565B-3ADA-4309-BB44-249FE92BFC3F.thumb.jpeg.40f7e287dd134b7eb473d2ad789b95d3.jpeg

More experimentation. Frozen burger and roasted fresh green beans. Cooked together for 14 minutes at 400°F.  Won’t earn even a single Michelin star but it made a perfectly fine dinner for me without much effort or much clean up. 

did you spritz those beans with oil?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

did you spritz those beans with oil?

I did not spritz them but I did toss them with a  little grapeseed oil. I was battling a head-butting, four-legged creature who was determined to help!  Made it a bit challenging. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

1DF3D2A0-E03C-4709-B1CE-804DDBBACA0A.thumb.jpeg.2b062c06571b8a68a4512b61ef203d36.jpeg

B90B5F65-837D-4F8C-9C67-AB9AC0805B61.thumb.jpeg.167f48aa0858c240ae9879ff3d1ff317.jpeg

One russet potato scrubbed but not peeled and hand cut. (I am always surprised at how many fries one large russet will make!)
This was good. This, however, is not deep fried fries. If that is what you want then you will need to put up with the mess and danger

of a pan of hot oil.  
I expect this could have been accomplished just as well in a convection oven such as the Breville Smart Oven.  
I rinsed the raw fries in a couple of bowls of cold water before soaking them for 30 minutes. I dried them off and then in a bowl tossed them with some grapeseed oil. I estimate about a half a teaspoon. I used my hands to do the tossing trying to make sure each and every piece was coated with oil. They then went into the air fryer and I set the temperature to 400°F and the time to 20 minutes. 

Somebody had suggested that instead of attempting to properly toss them in the air fryer basket one should tip them out into the clean bowl previously used to oil them. It seems to work very well.  I did this at the 10 minute mark. 
After 20 minutes I was still not happy with the colour and I could see some dry areas where I had not managed to get the oil. So I did  a very quick spritz of oil, Tipped them back into the bowl and then back into the air fryer for a further 3 minutes. So total time was 28 minutes. 
if I follow the same procedure next time, using just a little more oil in the beginning, they should take care of themselves needing only a toss at the half way mark. 
I think for this appliance you need to work your way through trial and error to get to your own sweet spot. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

My stepmother has the little TastiCrisp air fryer ($25 @ BB&) We don't usually share food but she offered me 2 wedges of zucchini that were excellent. She did an egg wash, salt, garlic powder, and panko. Crispy and delicious. She knows now not to crown the little basket.  400F approx 15 min but shake a bit & check after 10

I have all methods of cooking at my disposal, including sous vide. Today I had the most moist chicken I have ever had courtesy of my newly purchased air fryer. Delicious. Next time I’m going to brine the chicken. 

• Like 5

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

4 hours ago, nickrey said:

I have all methods of cooking at my disposal, including sous vide. Today I had the most moist chicken I have ever had courtesy of my newly purchased air fryer. Delicious. Next time I’m going to brine the chicken. 

I agree that it does an amazing job on chicken. 

7AD10E72-ED0C-4807-BE44-4E2C99CE174E.thumb.jpeg.a2d9a14379cb8a0208871806d674dc39.jpeg

Roasted green beans and frozen meatballs. 
A total of 12 minutes at 400°F. 

DD928C10-8A6C-4920-A668-E3D40F5BDDE5.thumb.jpeg.45a87add1d11afb928c6c48695c214fb.jpeg

One russet potato hand-cut ~ 1/4”,  hand-tossed in grapeseed oil, salted and air fried for a total of 25 minutes at 400°F. Using a separate pan or bowl in which to transfer them back and forth from the basket seems to be good way of ensuring more even cooking. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

excellent work !

a question about the prep for the

GB & MB's  :    

the GB were fresh ?  the Fz MB were cooked or fz raw ?

did you spray oil or not on the mixture before you started ?

they really7 look good.

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

excellent work !

a question about the prep for the

GB & MB's  :    

the GB were fresh ?  the Fz MB were cooked or fz raw ?

did you spray oil or not on the mixture before you started ?

they really7 look good.

Thank you. 
The green beans were from the farmers market. The meatballs were frozen and store-bought and were already fully cooked. Yes I spritzed everything with oil. 
They were quite acceptable. I might cook them for a little shorter time next time— maybe 10 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

BA88A9DB-0C73-4F90-9D02-5DA967D3F61E.thumb.jpeg.5c4c4c8012150b49d54e93335362f7c2.jpeg

Not entirely successful but still edible. And the onions are pretty much cremated. I cooked the mushrooms which had been tossed in oil for 10 minutes before adding the frozen burger on top. The cherry tomatoes were tossed in towards the end just to blister them. I see some potential here. 

On the other hand I saw no potential here but thought I would try it anyway. I was stunned at how successful it was!

1165E91C-B7B4-44B6-9F3D-FE8DF88F6EA9.thumb.jpeg.0de56cda4dd2b0d508b9086ba2a91014.jpeg

Jarred roasted artichoke and red pepper frittata. Four eggs, a little heavy cream, a handful of cheddar cheese and some chopped up artichokes and red peppers.

I lined the “pizza” pan with parchment and spritzed the whole pan including the sides with some oil. I mixed up the ingredients and poured them into the pan. 
I realized that I was not going to be able to put that pan into the basket without help. So I fashioned a foil sling.  This would’ve worked beautifully, however, I did not take into account the way the basket sits on a flat surface!  It is at quite an angle. But I managed not to spill any of the contents of the pan. 
No amount of research really gives you any kind of an idea of cooking time and temperature so I winged it. I set the temperature to 300°F and the time to 15 minutes intending to check on it at the 10 minute mark. But I got distracted and did not pay it any attention until it beeped that it was finished at 15 minutes. 

F4E09381-AE2B-4AE3-BCA8-BBCF34B3DF50.thumb.jpeg.d467af9522bd9f47a63d8e2335733d35.jpeg

It turned out pretty darn good. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice efforts. I wonder if the mushrooms would have been more enjoyable with no oil as we have discussed "dry-frying" them on the forum in the past  

3E46E571-C9E1-4DFA-9CDE-EE383249725E.thumb.jpeg.fef5ae0977447a6e1fe1219bee5b4ad7.jpeg

Frozen fries without any additional oil. 400°F for 16 mins. Very satisfactory. Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Still not the same taste or texture as deep-fried freshly made fries but a whole lot less trouble. 
Once again I googled to get different perspectives and most suggested spritzing  both the  basket and fries with oil. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

should you get ether chance

would you Photo  the basket 

say on the counter w a measurement ref ?

metric is OK .    

trying to get a visual idea of the basket size.

not buying just yet 

but the Fall is coming.