• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

• 2 months later...

Inspired by @gfwebover on the Snacking While Egulleting, I wanted to use up some pork taco fillings I had made from leftover pork from our annual pig roast.  The filling was chopped up pork with onions, Mexican spices (don't remember what I put in there) and grated cheese.

I used a package of egg roll wrappers to make little bit size appetizers and then with some spring roll wrappers I made spring roll type shapes.  I found this video helpful in getting the ends of rolls neat.  The wrapping instructions start at about 4:45. 

DSC02854.thumb.jpg.495f63963fbf06879a3c4ca6661be47d.jpgDSC02855.thumb.jpg.ec6fc99d6e9a2ec71cb8e0d515a70853.jpgDSC02856.thumb.jpg.316534d55e4b2f6ce459792fbe77fe22.jpgDSC02857.thumb.jpg.486f7dd1767f013c97ded7cdd23a89ed.jpg

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The wrapping instructions start at about 4:45.

Nice demo. Thanks. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Inspired by @gfwebover on the Snacking While Egulleting, I wanted to use up some pork taco fillings I had made from leftover pork from our annual pig roast.  The filling was chopped up pork with onions, Mexican spices (don't remember what I put in there) and grated cheese.

I used a package of egg roll wrappers to make little bit size appetizers and then with some spring roll wrappers I made spring roll type shapes.  I found this video helpful in getting the ends of rolls neat.  The wrapping instructions start at about 4:45. 

DSC02854.thumb.jpg.495f63963fbf06879a3c4ca6661be47d.jpgDSC02855.thumb.jpg.ec6fc99d6e9a2ec71cb8e0d515a70853.jpgDSC02856.thumb.jpg.316534d55e4b2f6ce459792fbe77fe22.jpgDSC02857.thumb.jpg.486f7dd1767f013c97ded7cdd23a89ed.jpg

That's a great video.  Whose web site did it come from? 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For a SimpleLiving brand hot air fryer, my mom is having problems with frozen chicken tenders and fish sticks coming out very dry, like jerky. She tried cutting cooking time in half, but then they were raw. Any thoughts on what might be going wrong? I don't have one so I can't advise her. TIA

On 8/14/2016 at 3:37 PM, mgaretz said:

The other night I made a combo batch of potato and sweet potato fries.  They came out good, but I used too little oil (1/4 tsp for one medium russet and one medium sweet potato) so they weren't quite as crisp as I would have liked.  

Today, for fun, I made potato chips.  1 medium sized russet, sliced thin (2mm) with a mandoline and 1 tsp oil.  Cooked for 20 minutes at 330F, shaking several times.  Then lightly salted with sea salt.  Yummy.

potato-chips.jpg

On my way to the store to buy chips 😋

• Haha 2

http://igodl.com/blog

Make it a great day, put a smile on your face

Made some corn tortillas then put each one in the air fryer after a quick oil spray for 2 minutes...nice crisp tostados for the refried beans I made today...breakfast tomorrow...can’t wait.

Edited by Okanagancook
Spelling...again (log)
  • Like 7

After watching U-Tube Chef John make crispy onion rings I tried them in the air fryer.  I did try some fried in fat.  Those are the two at the top of the tray.  Of course they were the best but the air fryer onion rings are pretty good for about 10% of the fat.

My batter did not get as thick as Chef John's so I added a little more cornstarch and instant mashed potatoes.  My panko crumbs weren't fine enough to really stick to the rings...I had to crush them in my mortar and pestle.  I sprayed them with Pam on both sides before putting them in the fryer for a total of 6 minutes, turned at half time.  We're going to have a few on top of our Bistecka tonight.

DSC02939.thumb.jpg.2aa743f27aebdd53b8e06dd87333749e.jpg

DSC02940.thumb.jpg.bafd82d2d3a1eb44cd073c88416b5906.jpg

'

• Like 3

@Okanagancook  Well, dang!  Now you've got me craving onion rings.  Our favourite burger place has the best onion rings, also panko'd (not in MW dictionary) really nice and crispy.  They do nice and crunchy sweet potato fries too so we always get a half and half order.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Curious.  Does anyone use a wrapper that is gluten free?

I wonder how rice paper wrappers react to frying....or baking even, for that matter...

They bake so worth a go. I have an old Vietnamese cookbook curated by Claiborne and  Pepin that includes baking.  Can't find it now. 

15 hours ago, TicTac said:

Curious.  Does anyone use a wrapper that is gluten free?

I wonder how rice paper wrappers react to frying....or baking even, for that matter...

You can definitely fry rice paper wrappers.  During our trip to central Vietnam, all fried spring rolls were made from rice paper - but it was the super thin rice paper that is flexible when dry, not the thicker, stiff ones.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Flexible when dry?  Haven't seen such a beast around here (I am well familiar with the 'pliable when wet variety')...though I will be at an Asian grocery store today so will keep my eyes peeled. 

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Thanks.

Flexible when dry?  Haven't seen such a beast around here (I am well familiar with the 'pliable when wet variety')...though I will be at an Asian grocery store today so will keep my eyes peeled. 

I had never seen it outside central Vietnam...