• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

Just now, Okanagancook said:

We had some of these the other night with friends for our cocktail snack.  Had not had them in years.  Delicious.

So, made them in my air fryer.  

Thinly slice a potato.  Rinse in three changes of water and dry.  Cut into match sticks.  Toss in a little oil or duck fat and drop them in the air fryer until crispy.

999999-060410039625.jpg.fc6fee7b2b815d428906095fef8846d9.jpgDSC02679.thumb.jpg.6e6f8458ef7d4ccb9e0384e2eaaca7aa.jpg

Hickory Sticks are addictive!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

They are indeed and so are my knock-offs.....a potato's worth of them just disappeared.

I have julianne blades for my Cuisinart Food Processor that make quick work of cutting these. Dangerous I tell you - dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

Uh oh.....I feel a new snack coming on.

They don't take very long to make either.  Luckily I would have to go all the way down stairs for a potato should I feel a need to test my recipe again.😎

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

They don't take very long to make either.  Luckily I would have to go all the way down stairs for a potato should I feel a need to test my recipe again.😎

Do you add a hickory (or other) flavoring?

I usually cook my zucchini sticks in the CSO but tried a few in the air fryer with much better results....crispier on the outside and much faster to cook. 

These are just finger sized batons of summer squash/zucchini.  Dust with flour; dip in seasoned beaten egg (this time I used chipotle but you can use whatever you like..Harissa paste; curry powder; Thai Red Curry paste. etc.) then a final toss in some bread crumbs.  They were cooked in the air fryer after about 5 to 8 minutes...wasn't looking at the time and I only had three in there as a test so a loaded machine may take longer.

• Like 3

I've done the "hickory sticks" with the julienne blade on my spiralizer, which makes them long and curly and therefore a bit cooler. :)

I just added a pinch or two of smoked paprika to the brown paper bag along with fine salt, and shook them vigorously. Not exactly the same flavor profile, of course, but very tasty nonetheless.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Homemade samoas made in the air fryer.  Sprayed lightly with PAM; 392F for 4 minutes; flipped and cooked another 4 minutes.  Nice and crispy.  Admittedly, not as good as deep fried but pretty darn good.  I made some for the freezer because these are a quick snack/appetizer.

DSC02703.thumb.jpg.78128adb348408d84eeb56f29db4c58d.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Those look delicious @Okanagancook! Have you written before the time and temperature you use for this? Are these starchy or waxy potatoes, or does it matter?

I cooked up a batch of premade crab cakes yesterday and am convinced that my air fryer cooks items much more quickly than my oven for the same temperature. (This may be true of all air fryers, but I only have the one to go by.) The instructions for these crab cakes are to preheat the oven to 400F, put the crab cakes on a baking sheet in the oven, and cook for 24 minutes or until 160F in the center. I checked at 15 minutes or a little before. They were already quite brown and the interior was at least 160F. The rest of dinner wasn't done, so I reduced the temperature to something fairly low - 175, maybe - and turned the machine off at 20 minutes to prevent overcooking. 

I've never appreciated or used the 25F automatic offset in my full-sized oven using convection mode, but based on the quick cooking in this little air fryer I'm going to try that 25F reduction whenever I'm following standard (nonconvective) baking recipes. It appears this little unit has much more aggressive air flow than my oven.

20180919_190622.jpg

The crab cakes were done perfectly. We won't get this brand again, but we'll cook crab cakes in the air fryer again. I'll try potatoes again, too.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yes, I find  the air fryer does cook foods quicker.   One needs to check frequently the first time you try something.

I have only used Yukon golds from the garden to make the hickory sticks but I think Russets would also work fine.

the potatoes are thinly sliced and soaked in water for at least 30 minutes.  They are dried and thinly sliced into sticks, tossed in 1teaspoon or so of duck fat or whatever fat you want, then put in a 390f air fryer for two or three five minute time periods with shaking in between until they are brown and crisp.  I toss them in my salt seasoning and spread on a sheet pan to cool.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

ARGH, my air fryer died.  It was a $100 special that I have had for about two years.  The heating element broke.  My brother had the same kind and his broke a couple of months ago.

Looking for a new improved one.

New air fryer will mean new times and temps. Something to be said for another like unit.

Havingsaid that , Breville Smart Oven Air is one great unit.

One of the complaints about the Breville is the "hard to clean" lower catch tray.  How do you handle that...some reviewers have used one of those copper air crisp tray and put it in the oven one rack lower than the Breville basket?  Also, some say the outside gets really hot.  Do you need to flip food over during cooking?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

One of the complaints about the Breville is the "hard to clean" lower catch tray.  How do you handle that...some reviewers have used one of those copper air crisp tray and put it in the oven one rack lower than the Breville basket?  Also, some say the outside gets really hot.  Do you need to flip food over during cooking?

Thanks

I put a 1/4 sheet pan under the frying basket. Doesn't get real dirty, but easy to clean.

Haven't felt  the outside. Probably gets toasty.

I flip most foods...except breaded ones.  Do I need to flip?  Dunno.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Pulled the plug on a Philips Turbo Air Fryer which was 25% off at good old Canadian Tire.

I looked hard at the Breville but I think it is too big for what we have room for. 

Thanks for your comments.

The Control Freak is smaller🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1