• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

Using @gfweb's idea of bread crumbing a battered item, I made a couple of test chicken drum sticks.  Used the soda water-flour batter then coated them with fine bread crumbs.  I forgot to spray oil the basket so of course they stuck.  They certainly turned out very juicy and the coating was 'quite' good but not as good as the real thing.  I will use this method again.  Served with cauliflower in cheese sauce; baked okra, onion and mushrooms accompanied by @Shelby's Cowboy Candy.

DSC02372.thumb.jpg.d1f64252b4812db968b8bc0ecd6a89dd.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

@gfweb

*&%#&^%@#&^$&#

you are suggesting 

i take my BVXL

put it back in its BB&B box

take it down to BB&B

[ed.:  its not that far , no matter what he says }

and do a bit of Huff and Puff

and trade it in for a 

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/breville-reg-smart-oven-reg-air-convection-toaster-oven/1060538871?Keyword=breville smart oven air

wow

Sooooo much work to do.

like the 

gabagool

Ill have to review 

The Sopranos

Complete

on one of my may HD.

weasel

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

*&%#&^%@#&^$&#

you are suggesting 

i take my BVXL

put it back in its BB&B box

take it down to BB&B

[ed.:  its not that far , no matter what he says }

and do a bit of Huff and Puff

and trade it in for a 

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/breville-reg-smart-oven-reg-air-convection-toaster-oven/1060538871?Keyword=breville smart oven air

wow

Sooooo much work to do.

like the 

gabagool

Ill have to review 

The Sopranos

Complete

on one of my may HD.

weasel

I'm having a lot of fun with it.  Not sure its the best air fryer but it is bigger than most if not all of them. Great for schnitzel sort of meats....just OK for french fries but so much easier than deep frying even if you do the Roubuchon-cold-oil method.

I find battered stuff doesn't do well unless you coat it with bread crumbs to prevent sticking. Flour-egg wash-breadcrumb coatings do much better.

Still playing with techniques/tricks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is yours.  Grate potatoes, squeeze,microwave 90 seconds, salt and pepper, form into patties, spray with Pam, air fry 6 min a side.  I tried to tuck the frilly edges in so the did not burn but it’s impossible.

the middles were just done and similar texture to pan fried.  I will make these again.  Only drawback is I can only fit three in the fryer with each one weighing about 70 grams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I think it is yours.  Grate potatoes, squeeze,microwave 90 seconds, salt and pepper, form into patties, spray with Pam, air fry 6 min a side.  I tried to tuck the frilly edges in so the did not burn but it’s impossible.

the middles were just done and similar texture to pan fried.  I will make these again.  Only drawback is I can only fit three in the fryer with each one weighing about 70 grams.

Clearly you need a second unit!

• Haha 4

Nice try.:x

i would if only there was a kitchen gadget storage ‘Cloud’

the one I have is small, 8 by 7 inches.

NO!  I am not getting another, unless of course this cheap model kicks the bucket, then I could get a bigger one9_9

how big is yours?

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Nice try.:x

i would if only there was a kitchen gadget storage ‘Cloud’

the one I have is small, 8 by 7 inches.

NO!  I am not getting another, unless of course this cheap model kicks the bucket, then I could get a bigger one9_9

how big is yours?

Roughly 12x12x21. Takes a 1/4 sheet pan easily. Bet I could get 8 latkes in it. Breville Smart Oven Air. It does lots of things but it isn't cheap. 

Well, I have a CSO and a brilliant Cadco convection oven and a really excellent Miele oven.  So I would only get a larger dedicated air fryer that has a removable paddle so I can cook stuff like burgers, pork chops with a larger capacity than what I have.  I the one I have bought it on a whim and now I am liking the convenience of no splatter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, I have a CSO and a brilliant Cadco convection oven and a really excellent Miele oven.  So I would only get a larger dedicated air fryer that has a removable paddle so I can cook stuff like burgers, pork chops with a larger capacity than what I have.  I the one I have bought it on a whim and now I am liking the convenience of no splatter.

Is the Miele their steam oven?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 10:06 AM, gfweb said:

@Shelby@Okanagancook I'm thinking that maybe batter and air fryers don't play well together.  The batter needs the hot oil to crust-up and the hot air isn't enough of a conductor to do it.

Perhaps a modified schnitzel technique would work ...flour/egg wash/seasoned flour ...for onion rings

I haven't tried them in an air fryer (just got one), but my usual method for onion rings is soak in milk and egg, then toss in a combination of half rice flour and half AP flour, with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder per cup of flour. Works great in oil; maybe I'll try a few in the air fryer. If they work it would certainly avoid a big mess. 

• Like 4

Actually Americas Test Kitchen is working on an Air Fryer book and were looking for testers.  This month they were testing out an air fryer recipe for Air Fryer Coffee-Chipotle Rubbed Steaks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@gfweb  How crispy were they? I haven't tried chicken wings in my Breville yet, mainly for fear of having to clean up the mess.

Quite crispy, all the fat drained into the pan. The glaze, of course, decrisped them.

The only mess was in the 1/4  sheet pan.

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Quite crispy, all the fat drained into the pan. The glaze, of course, decrisped them.

The only mess was in the 1/4  sheet pan.

Thank you for responding.  I thought maybe you had cooked them on the wire rack shown in the picture, which is what I was thinking of doing, hence the reluctance to clean up the resulting mess, I.e. the rack.  If they were just done on the sheet pan, then cleaning up isn't a problem.

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you for responding.  I thought maybe you had cooked them on the wire rack shown in the picture, which is what I was thinking of doing, hence the reluctance to clean up the resulting mess, I.e. the rack.  If they were just done on the sheet pan, then cleaning up isn't a problem.

That's what I did. Wings on rack in the pan. Wasn't messy. 

I also turned the wings once 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My birthday is Friday and I think I want to get an air fryer.  I would love to make fries/potatoes, chicken wings, chicken cutlets and/or parts, and be adventurous as  I get more familiar with this.  Which one would you recommend - the Phillips XXL or the Breville?  I am an experienced cook if that matters and I have a young adult at home who can snarf down several pounds of chicken if we leave it unattended ;)  LOL (in real life I am a pastry chef but that has no bearing on the fact that I can't make a decent pot roast unless it's in the Instant Pot and I am hopeless at pork chops).

What say  you all?

• Like 1

Breville Air is bigger and has a dehydrator , warmer, oven, and a zillion features. We use it daily. It isn't cheap, but we use the heck out of it. Well worth the extra $, i think 

• Like 1