• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

On 2018-03-12 at 3:43 PM, Shelby said:

I just bought a Phillips.  Can't wait to experiment :)  Thanks all for your help.  It should be here Thursday.

Guilt free potato chips.  sliced thin, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, dried well, 1 russet needs about one tsp oil, same setting as french fries.  Keep shaking and moving the chips so they don't stick together.....make while you are in the kitchen doing something else.

DSC02341.thumb.jpg.d31c7614262b6085ca36af4837935d4c.jpg

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Guilt free potato chips.  sliced thin, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, dried well, 1 russet needs about one tsp oil, same setting as french fries.  Keep shaking and moving the chips so they don't stick together.....make while you are in the kitchen doing something else.

Thank you!

I am so going to make some of these in my Airfryer!  

46 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Definitely doing this!!!!  I'm making corned beef sandwiches soon and this will be the side dish.

When I have a minute--hopefully tomorrow, I'm going to describe my french fry process and get some help from you guys.  

• Like 1

Suddenly, Amazon is stalking us across all platforms with a lightning deal for an air fryer.  We've let the lightning deal pass, but I'm still watching this topic with Great Interest.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

16 hours ago, Shelby said:

When I have a minute--hopefully tomorrow, I'm going to describe my french fry process and get some help from you guys.

Soak fries for 30 minutes. Dry with paper towels and toss in oil.  About a tsp per spud. Cook for 5 minutes at 360, toss.  Raise temp to 390 and cook for another 10, tossing half way through. 

This is for fries about 1/4” wide. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

On 3/19/2018 at 5:18 PM, Okanagancook said:

Well, my chips turned out waaaaaaay better than my fries did.  OMG these are good---I have a new addiction.  Thanks a lot LOL.

IMG_4278.jpg.735ce7008098578391ba7276d52bd5be.jpg

IMG_4279.JPG.27bf437b9eff749324576d3fb385a008.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

On 3/20/2018 at 10:18 AM, mgaretz said:

Soak fries for 30 minutes. Dry with paper towels and toss in oil.  About a tsp per spud. Cook for 5 minutes at 360, toss.  Raise temp to 390 and cook for another 10, tossing half way through. 

This is for fries about 1/4” wide. 

Thank you for this.  I used your method ....I think my fries are thicker than 1/4" ..they took a lot longer to get done.  I'm going to try again soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Thank you for this.  I used your method ....I think my fries are thicker than 1/4" ..they took a lot longer to get done.  I'm going to try again soon.

Did you do the 3 minute preheat?  I forgot to mention that. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Just now, mgaretz said:

Did you do the 3 minute preheat?  I forgot to mention that. 

No!  I missed that part--I had looked up your first post about your fries.  Ok.  Good to know.  I'll do that next time.

It takes a few tries to get the fries down pat.  If you have a mandolin that can cut the fries consistently that goes a long way to helping.  I have the classic French SS mandolin that will slice and cut the potato in one pass....done very carefully with a towel protecting my hand.  And shaking the draw frequently if you don’t have a stirring paddle.

glad you liked the chips.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

It takes a few tries to get the fries down pat.  If you have a mandolin that can cut the fries consistently that goes a long way to helping.  I have the classic French SS mandolin that will slice and cut the potato in one pass....done very carefully with a towel protecting my hand.  And shaking the draw frequently if you don’t have a stirring paddle.

glad you liked the chips.

I have one of these french fry cutters.

I think I need to practice at a time that isn't dinner time--I'm always rushing to get everything done etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I have one of these french fry cutters.

I think I need to practice at a time that isn't dinner time--I'm always rushing to get everything done etc. etc.

I don’t know. I’m confused. Are we talking about french fries or are we talking about potato chips. Did I miss a beat?   Or are we just separated by a. common language? See the Brits know what they’re doing when they call the paper thin discs crisps and the other kind chips.  Although it was always very hard to say Smiths Crisps more than once!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think in the US "chips" are the paper thin fried disks and French Fries are the potato batons - deep-fried. Crisps is not used. But elsewhere crisps are our "chips" and chips are our French Fries!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

For me:

Chips= Potato chips.....like Pringles or Lay's.  Crunchy, paper thin discs.

Fries=Long batons

Crisps=Some sort of fruit that is baked with a crumbly topping

:D

Carry on. O.o

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I tried making onion rings today.  I thought they would fail so I made them the proper way first and put the last three in the air fryer after preheating to 392F and spraying the basket with PAM.

Fail.  Stuck to the basket like s_ _ t to a blanket.

The proper ones are fantastic.  Recipe from a contestant on Masterchef Australia:

slice onion 5 cm thick

dust in seasoned flour

mix 1/2 cup flour with 3/4 cup soda water and some seasonings of your choiceDSC02362.thumb.jpg.994383c9f3fc757dc997efe221707962.jpgDSC02364.thumb.jpg.c1169fe3e36eae451c12c47eae7bc660.jpgDSC02363.thumb.jpg.42f5d4d1214c7ced6210f917cec35810.jpg

dip the dusted rings into the batter and deep fry.

so crunchy.

they are a bit oily so they need a really good drain over the oil and then generous dabbing with paper towels.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I tried making onion rings today.  I thought they would fail so I made them the proper way first and put the last three in the air fryer after preheating to 392F and spraying the basket with PAM.

Fail.  Stuck to the basket like s_ _ t to a blanket.

The proper ones are fantastic.  Recipe from a contestant on Masterchef Australia:

slice onion 5 cm thick

dust in seasoned flour

mix 1/2 cup flour with 3/4 cup soda water and some seasonings of your choiceDSC02362.thumb.jpg.994383c9f3fc757dc997efe221707962.jpgDSC02364.thumb.jpg.c1169fe3e36eae451c12c47eae7bc660.jpgDSC02363.thumb.jpg.42f5d4d1214c7ced6210f917cec35810.jpg

dip the dusted rings into the batter and deep fry.

so crunchy.

they are a bit oily so they need a really good drain over the oil and then generous dabbing with paper towels.

I tried onion rings in the air fryer, too.  Total disaster.  I was too devastated to even post about it here lol.  I haven't used the fryer since.  Need to get back on the horse.

@Shelby@Okanagancook I'm thinking that maybe batter and air fryers don't play well together.  The batter needs the hot oil to crust-up and the hot air isn't enough of a conductor to do it.

Perhaps a modified schnitzel technique would work ...flour/egg wash/seasoned flour ...for onion rings

Edited by gfweb (log)

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Shelby@Okanagancook I'm thinking that maybe batter and air fryers don't play well together.  The batter needs the hot oil to crust-up and the hot air isn't enough of a conductor to do it.

Perhaps a modified schnitzel technique would work ...flour/egg wash/seasoned flour ...for onion rings

Agreed.

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I also think that might be the way to go.  I just wanted those earth shatteringly crisp onion rings to work in the air fryer.  Best onion rings ever.  When I deep fried them I needed to drain them for a long time because the oil got trapped inside the ring.  I cooked them all in the fat then reheated them in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes and they were perfect.

• Like 1