• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

Ive found a few YTube vids :

↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i

↵ Use original player
YouTube
← Replay
X
i

on the R of the last vid there are a few more vids on the BV-air

your thoughts ?

• Like 1

It seems the presence of oil is the difference between an air fryer and a convection oven.  

Seems it's not a complete replacement for deep frying - as not 100% the same - but it's close?

Do those of you who have an air fryer never bother to deep fry anymore?  Google seems to inform me you can make donuts in an air fryer... 

now if BV were not allergic to Steam  ....

I did go look at the BV  at W-S

its noticeably bigger , but not outrageously so.

and they intimated 20 % off for ' friends and family ' what ever that means

BB&B has given me 20 % off on the BV's Ive gotten there at the check-out

although I guess they are not supposed to.

the Cuisinart was not on display at W-S  but they offered to see if they had one in the back and open it for me.

I thought of taking a peek at BB&B which is not that far away

but ran out of Steam

400 USD  possibly 320 USD is a lot in my case for the Air-Fry-ing bits 

200 is better   ( ? 160 USD )

but Im not convinced they would get that chicken really really crispy.

hope others can offer their comments on the Units they may have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Raamo said:

It seems the presence of oil is the difference between an air fryer and a convection oven.  

Seems it's not a complete replacement for deep frying - as not 100% the same - but it's close?

Do those of you who have an air fryer never bother to deep fry anymore?  Google seems to inform me you can make donuts in an air fryer... 

Where do you put the oil? Is it spraying around inside?

Like a steam oven but with oil?

no

you spray the oil on the item in question

Im guessing the idea is that the oil heats up past 212 F and give you a ' fry effect '

in terms of heat content at the surface of the item.

in the Cuisinart demo they didn't use oil on the fries .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

in thinking a bit more on the BV-A and the Cuisi-A

Im wondering what the clean up is like ?

That's a main question I have.

After having the CSO I now believe that all ovens should come with a steam cleaner.

I found this question and answer on Amazon:

Answer:
The oven rack, backing pan, air fryer basket and crumb tray should be hand washed in hot, sudsy water or use a nylon scouring pad or nylon brush. The are NOT dishwasher safe. 
By DeAnn J MANUFACTURER  on May 10, 2017

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

thats a good question and its hard to say.

certainly the BV-A has accessories trays that allow more air circulation

i.e. baskets 

looking forward to @ElsieD 's review

@rotuts  a posted a little review on the Breville Smart Oven Air topic, link above.

• Like 1

French fries made in the air fryer.  MDe with about 1 Tbsp. of melted coconut oil.  Cooked for 20 mins. At 400F.

1 largish russet in a medium slices.  The smell of coconut while frying was a bit off-putting but there was no taste of it.

Next time I'll use about a third less oil.

0052264C-90A8-4A1F-968C-4A5544252E4A.jpeg

F9BE6AA6-4F2F-4D3E-AAA2-CD789A78C4E4.jpeg

CB4F400E-8E76-4E0B-B208-B8FF35F1EC46.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lindag said:

French fries made in the air fryer.  MDe with about 1 Tbsp. of melted coconut oil.  Cooked for 20 mins. At 400F.

1 largish russet in a medium slices.  The smell of coconut while frying was a bit off-putting but there was no taste of it.

Next time I'll use about a third less oil.

0052264C-90A8-4A1F-968C-4A5544252E4A.jpeg

F9BE6AA6-4F2F-4D3E-AAA2-CD789A78C4E4.jpeg

CB4F400E-8E76-4E0B-B208-B8FF35F1EC46.jpeg

How were they?

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

How were they?

They were quite good...maybe I'll give them a couple more minutes next time.

Every bit as good as most restaurant fries.  I did use seasoned salt, some before cooking, then some added after.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread got me hooked, not that I need more tools, but...

I decided to test the waters with this:  FrenchMay Air Fryer

It was on sale for around $55, so it was a safe choice that wouldn't break the bank.  Unfortunately the Phillips Air Fryer went on sale at just over $100 just after I received the FrenchMay and I would have bought that instead.  I've done a few items (sorry no pics) that have convinced me that this will be a great addition to the kitchen even tho it has be stored in the area known as "kitchen overflow".  It's large but not heavy. 

We started out with tater tots and they were incredible!  Almost worth the cost just for that.  Did brussels sprouts, homemade french fries, roasted winter veggies and tortilla chips.  Everything showed promise but there is a learning-curve of course.

Build quality is "middle of the road" but it appears that it will suffice.  If one were on the fence as to the purchase of an Air Fryer this might be the way to go.  If I really fall in love with the process I'll consider upgrading to the Phillips.

Steven

• Like 2

"Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else"

Sir James M. Barrie

Do any air fryers go above 400 degrees?  I saw a video in which a woman set her very large (brand unknown) to 480 degrees.  Could she have meant 380?

Steven

"Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else"

Sir James M. Barrie

21 hours ago, StevenHarris said:

Do any air fryers go above 400 degrees?  I saw a video in which a woman set her very large (brand unknown) to 480 degrees.  Could she have meant 380?

Steven

The Big Boss oil-less fryer can supposedly go up to 480° according to some reviews I read.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Yukon Gold medium sized potatoes.  Peeled then quartered and put on a rack in the IP which had 1cup of water added to the main pot.  Steamed on high pressure for 6minutes with 10minutes natural release.  Next the quite soft potatoes were tossed in about 1.5 teaspoons of rosemary infused oil with a couple of grinding of salt and cooked in the air fryer for 15-20 min at 392f tossing every five minutes.  Russets work well too.

I think parsnips would be great done in this fashion.  Ditto for carrots and fennel..really any ‘roast vegetables’.

Edited by Okanagancook
Add info (log)
  • Like 2