• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

Finally getting some success with bone-in fried chicken.  This was definitely "eat-the-crust-off-the-bottom" quality.  It was a single breast (just me for dinner tonight) that I dredged in seasoned flour, then into an egg wash, then back in the flour.  Before putting it in the fryer, I gave it a light brush of some olive oil.  The brush worked better than the sprayer, allowing me to get a perfectly even coating.  Cooked at 360F for 20 minutes, turning at 10 minutes, brushing any dry areas with some oil (there were just a few) and then flipped again at the end, then 5 more minutes at 390F.  I also used the grill pan accessory rather than the basket.  It works well and cleans up in snap, but doesn't hold nearly as much as the basket, though it seems like it should.

Served with corn that appeared past its prime when I bought it, should have trusted my instincts.  

air-fry-chicken.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.jpeg

Planned over remains of a Chinese delivery. I always order extra eggrolls and extra chicken wings so that I can freeze them for fast meals.  These came straight out of the freezer and into the air dryer where they were reheated at 160°C for 20 minutes.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Especially for @rotuts.  Pre-breaded, frozen calamari. Well I quite obviously over cooked these.  But that aside not much would have redeemed them.  The ratio of breading to product is so high  that almost anything could've been hiding under it.   This was about half the package I bought. Not sure whether I will even bother cooking the other half.  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg

I scrubbed and sliced a russet potato, soaked it in cold water for about an hour, drained and dried it well and brushed it with some garlic-flavoured olive oil. Into the Airfryer at 200°C  for about 15 perhaps 20 minutes.  Tossed a few times. Put into an ovenproof dish, salted lightly, sprinkled with some aged cheddar and stuck under the broiler. A satisfactory lunch with little effort. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Char siu made from pork tenderloin in the air fryer.  The tenderloin was cut into four pieces then marinated overnight with NOH char siu mix as a dry rub.  Cooked for 10 minutes at 360F, flipped, basted with honey then 5 minutes at 390F, flipped and basted again then another 5 minutes at 390F.  Sliced and stir fried with mushrooms and bok choy.

af-char-siu-tloin.jpg

af-char-siu-tloin-p.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 3 weeks later...

Orange chicken, from a box from Costco.  Made the chicken in the air fryer - it came out great - nice and crispy and not greasy.  15 minutes at 390F.  Served with fried rice (from the previous night's leftover basamati) and stir fried bok choy.

orange-chicken.jpg

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 3 months later...

image.jpeg

I have not been using my Air Fryer recently because,in all honesty, it doesn't really fit into my lifestyle. I was never one for frozen fries or tater tots except once in a very blue moon.  But a book showed up at my house very recently  attributed to the well-known chef, Todd English. All the recipes are designed for an Air Fryer and since the book too was a gift, I did feel that I should at least give it a chance.  So breakfast this morning was this frittata.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Paul Fink said:

Those things work?!!

Man I want one but alas no space in my kitchen.

It would be nice have fries with BBQ this summer with out all the work.

When we have warm-weather family BBQ's, my sister-in-law got the brilliant idea to fry french fries using a plug-in table-top deep fryer out on a table on the patio while my brothers did their BBQ thing. 

The nice thing about frying outdoors is that the smell of  old grease doesn't linger in the kitchen/house, cleanup is easy and it doesn't heat up the house.

Winner winner, chicken dinner! xD

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...
On 2016-09-16 at 6:49 PM, Okanagancook said:

Mmmmmpops

great work.

you are fearless.

i don not have said appliance and will not be buying one.  Oh, my I have heard this before.

i should stop looking at this thread.:$

Dang it>:(

couldn't resist the sale on the Bestek air fryers on Amazon.ca.

25 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Dang it>:(

couldn't resist the sale on the Bestek air fryers on Amazon.ca.

Mine has moved on to a better home where it is much appreciated.  My bachelor son is loving it. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night I did a hamburger, some little chicken fillets and fries in the new fryer.  NO MESS.  I over did the chicken a little but the hamburger was nice and brown and the fries were better seeing I cut them a little thicker.  I'm trying roasted cauliflower and some lamb chops in there tonight.  I am digging this machine when time is short and you don't feel like making a mess.  The little basket cleaned up quickly. 

DSC02156.thumb.jpg.d0379a646d26ae2b90ba3a6c3c800fba.jpgDSC02158.thumb.jpg.4974bf5444e86eb45720d8f4297f5535.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I am digging this machine when time is short and you don't feel like making a mess.  The little basket cleaned up quickly. 

Don't make me regret re-homing mine. xD  It did some things very well but they're not the things that are normally appearing often at my house. Number two son will probably get far more use out of it than I did.  I am very glad I tried it.  

My one regret is that I never did try the pork belly in it and there is a recipe somewhere online which makes it look like a fabulous way to treat this cut. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN, look away.........Some roasted spiced garbanzo beans. WOW.  Nice and crunchy with 1 tsp of oil only.  Then some roasted cauliflower and sliced onion.  This was done at too high a temperature.  I'm making notes.  But nonetheless, it is like 'well roasted' cauliflower and not over done. Bonus, the onions were nice and crispy.  Next up were some whole button mushrooms sprayed with some Olive oil and destined for more treatment later but I wanted to have a lower fat treatment so I roasted them in the air fryer to cook them. In the end it really concentrated their flavour.  Yum.  It is experimental so I am not leaving the kitchen and opening the drawer frequently to see what is going on.

DSC02159.thumb.jpg.765053e6e97e55ca97151d2c8092f99a.jpgDSC02160.thumb.jpg.83b3b877587f4bca804d894342788f90.jpgDSC02162.thumb.jpg.4dd942ec946a259e944552e5107a18c2.jpg

• Like 7

We did lamb chops the other night.  Four minutes and they were perfectly cooked, but, did require a very quick sear in a red hot pan for some colour.  No picture.

Last night I put some chunks of cooked potato in the fryer.  Nice and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside....better than fries I'd say.

DSC02166.thumb.jpg.3738ff06818f14cec4096727291b6ab8.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Did an experiment with chicken drumsticks.

First two pictures are the drumsticks done in the air fryer and the third picture show the CSO baked (steam bake at 424F for 25 minutes)drumsticks.

The air fryer won.  Crisper skin and much juicier.  To be fair I think I over cooked the CSO drumsticks in an effort to get the skin crisp.

The air fryer won on the clean up also.

DSC02172.thumb.jpg.20724cb6fd23a49ab2c683d72958f733.jpgDSC02171.thumb.jpg.da352e48a34a7bc6d198773c31cb11bd.jpg

DSC02174.thumb.jpg.db8151a3627e39a5f244250348a57c61.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

We tried making shrimp chips in the fryer.  Brilliant.  We brushed the chips with a little oil and put them in the fryer at 390F for just a couple of minutes and they were cooked.  The only problem is they curl up rather than being flatter like when you make them in a wok with tongs.  Virtually no fat on them.  Will be making these again.

sorry no picture.

Edited by Okanagancook
grammar (log)
  • Like 4

We saw the Philips air fryer back when it was brand new at WS - didn't really need more gadgets at home.

Now I've read through 9 pages of this thread - the idea of improved tots is pretty cool, but we don't do that that often...

Does this actually replace pan frying fish with a coating?  And my wife wants to know - can you make donuts in one of these? 

• Like 1

Just saw a commercial for this Cuisinart Convection Toaster Oven Air Fryer .  Anyone have one of these?  Is it being discussed some where around here?

I could never ever give up my beloved CSO........   I could give my Breville to Ronnie to use in the garage........  

Someone, quick, tell me I don't need this.

7 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  I started a thread on this but it did not get much traction.  However, my BSO died and I bought the Breville Air.  So far, I'm very happy with it.

Ok, I'll look for your thread.  Thanks :) 

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Shelby  I started a thread on this but it did not get much traction.  However, my BSO died and I bought the Breville Air.  So far, I'm very happy with it.

I just got one too, but I have been away so I literally haven’t used it yet. If it works as well, I’ll be looking to sell my BSO and Philips Air Fryer.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com