• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

2 hours ago, palo said:

My first air fryer was that type - after having it fall apart on to the floor I migrated to the type where the basket does not separate from the tray The tray is the basket - it has a removable grill in the bottom to catch grease and allow air circulation

p

I think we're talking about the same type of design--a drawer with a removable tray(grill) that sits in the bottom of the drawer.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I don't think sweet potato fries are ever crispy. (nor ever any good, but that's just a personal thing).

I've had Alexia and McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer. They get crispy, but the problem with those is that the edges of the crinkles have a tendency to get too browned, and over-browned sweet potato doesn't taste as good as over-browned white potato.  I haven't gotten around to trying straight cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer yet.  I'm hoping those will be easier to get right.  FWIW, I like McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries better than Alexia.  Alexia crinkle cut have garlic & onion powder, too much for my taste.  I don't think Alexia straight cut sweet potato fries have that.

Chimayo Joe

Chimayo Joe

1 hour ago, palo said:

My first air fryer was that type - after having it fall apart on to the floor I migrated to the type where the basket does not separate from the tray The tray is the basket - it has a removable grill in the bottom to catch grease and allow air circulation

p

I think we're talking about the same type of design--a drawer with a removable tray(grill) that sits in the bottom of the drawer.

51 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't think sweet potato fries are ever crispy. (nor ever any good, but that's just a personal thing).

I've had Alexia and McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer. They get crispy, but the problem with those is that the edges of the crinkles have a tendency to get too browned, and over-browned sweet potato doesn't taste as good as over-browned white potato.  I haven't gotten around to trying straight cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer yet.  I'm hoping those will be easier to get right.  FWIW, I like McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries better than Alexia.  Alexia crinkle cut garlic & onion powder, too much for my taste.  I don't think Alexia straight cut sweet potato fries have that.