• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

@mgaretz

that's a fundamental question that w/o experience makes no sense  :  how can steam make something crispy ?

why not just soggy ?  that would make more every day sense,

but stream at higher temps, lets say above  boiling indeed far above this indeed will make thinks crispy

this only dawned on me when I made chicken thighs in the CSB :  the crunchiest chicken skin Ive ever made and tasted.

the skin 'bubbled'

I do know   the 'tots I make in the CSB are as crispy as Id like them, and better than the BVXL which is a dry oven.

they turn out in the steam oven both crispy and moist.

I do not have a PAF  and Im guessing I might get fine 'tots in that sooner than a CSB  I can't say if they would be on the dry side

as a dry oven might make them.  perhaps not as its quicker in the PAF

and I have not done traditionally sized white FF in the CSB    I can tell you  sweet potato fries and not impressive in both the

BVXL and the CSB

if you do not have a steam oven, then maybve the PAF will be a good addition for your kitchen.

if you have a steam oven, maybe the PAF will not be as uniquely helpful

that's how I see it for me at the moment,

if you had neither , and the PAF was 200 , I think you might do better in the long run to consider a

steam oven for < 200 ,

how ever , if you have a PAF  Im sure you will enjoy it.

rotuts

rotuts

@mgaretz

that's a fundamental question that w/o experience makes no sense  :  how can steam make something crispy ?

why not just soggy ?  that would make more every day sense,

but stream at higher temps, lets say above  boiling indeed far above this indeed will make thinks crispy

this only dawned on me when I made chicken thighs in the CSB :  the crunchiest chicken skin Ive ever made and tasted.

the skin 'bubbled'

I do know   the 'tots I make in the CSB are as crispy as Id like them, and better than the BVXL which is a dry oven.

they turn out in the steam oven both crispy and moist.

I do not have a PAF  and Im guessing I might get fine 'tots in that sooner than a CSB  I can't say if they would be on the dry side

as a dry oven might make them.  perhaps not as its quicker in the PAF

and I have not done traditionally sized white FF in the CSB    I can tell you  sweet potato fries and not impressive in both the

BVXL and the CSB