• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Scones

ElsieD

There is a cafe near me which sells the most amazing apple scones and naturally, they won't give me the recipe. I have been scouring the Internet for a recipe without success. Would anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share?

Thanks!

They are a buttery scone, very rich tasting. The apple seems to be cooked a bit, sautéed maybe? There are also some spices in there, cinnamon for sure and I think some cloves and nutmeg. I could make a scone dough, sauté some diced apples in butter and spices and incorporate that into the dough before adding any liquid. But, I don't know if that makes sense or what proportions to use. I don't do a lot of baking other than bread, I am more interested in the savoury side of things. But, I am desperate to make these scones. Oh, they are also sprinkled with some sort of coarse sugar.

I'd go for buying one (or more) and taking a photo of the scone whole and then cut in half or whatever. It does sound delicious. And if you PM'd me the store's name and location, I'd have our next visitors from Ottawa bring us a half dozen. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

How about a trial of Tikidocs Cream Scones incorporating some sauted apple bits that you've spiced?

• 2 c AP flour
  • 1 T baking powder
  • ½ t salt
  • ¼ c sugar
  • 1 ¼ c cream
  • ¾ c apple bits sauted in butter with pie spices.

Preheat to 475F. Mix dry ingredients (including add-ins). Add cream and mix until combined. Pat into two 6" circles and cut each circle into 8 wedges. Put on ungreased baking sheet, glaze with butter, sprinkle with sugar and bake about 11 minutes until golden.

I would think apple pie filling would have too much liquid to keep the scone flaky/not doughy.You could try roasting the apple in the oven with a little butter and sugar to roast the liquid out.

I bought Granny Smith apples yesterday and will make up a batch tomorrow. I do know that they use fresh apples, not canned, and I think they are likely Granny Smith as some of the (green) peel was left on them. Plus, the apple pieces were not uniformly cut. Hopefully, they will be a good facsimile. I can't post a picture of the ones the cafe makes as I have eaten the ones I purchased last time I was there. If I'm happy with these, I'll post a picture.

• 1 month later...

OK eG gang. Back to the Apple Scone challenge. A gift from my S-i-L and B-i-L who went to Richmond, ON, and picked up a dozen. Brought them yesterday. In fact, they are called "Caramel Apple Scones".

Here are photos of the scones: several in the box, one whole on a plate, and one cut in half. (You can see the sugar crystals on the scones and the caramel swirled through them. Sorry the last photo is not that clear. My camera skills are lacking.)

Eaten warm (not too enticing cold) Very nice. My DH says well, OK, no big deal. I liked them but not as excited as Elsie is, but still well worth trying to duplicate.

First of all, no pie filling. They are made from unpeeled Granny Smiths, cut into teensy weensy pieces. I don't think they are sauteed. There is a caramel sauce swirled through the batter. They are indeed buttery and moist. Soft texture. Cinnamon for sure. Can't say about nutmeg or cloves, but I don't think so...or miniscule amounts. Sugary crunchy tiny particles on top, clear, square-cut crystals.

That's it so far. Will try replicating them in a couple of days.

P1010001_04.JPG

P1010002_05.JPG

P1010004_04.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.