• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What can you really freeze ?

sabg

i am trying to get a jump on thanksgiving. i haven't been feeling great and am trying to make ahead as much as poss...

cauliflower gratin

green bean casserole (my first time)

oyster stuffing

traditional sausage stuffing

do think i can make any of these tomorrow and freeze without lose of texture...i have always just made the day before and reheated but may not have that luxury this year

Honestly - if you have a big block of frozen casserole or the like you are going to have defrosting time and issues with evenly reheating if not fully thawed. Thye will take at least a day to freeze and maybe more than a day to thaw so you are only buying a day or two. If your fridge is very cold you you could even make them tomorrow and hold to Thursday. I use a sort of 5 day rule but my fridge is just above freezing so things seem to last longer with no taste loss.

if i make gratin stuff today (sunday) and it keeps till thursday..will i still be able to use for leftovers during the thanksgiving weekend....these are probably basic questions but i have always had the fridge freezer space n time to do the day of