• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way to transfer bulk hot liquid

Fat Guy

What's the safest way to get 12 quarts of hot cocoa from a stock pot into a dispenser contraption? The require maneuver involves filling the dispenser from the top through about a 4" mouth.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I use a small long handled saucepan for such jobs. It holds about a quart and a half, is easily dipped into the large stockpot, and if you find one with a decent rim, it will pour nicely. You can buy mega ladles, but the longer handles get on the way. I use a little enameled 1.5 qt saucepan to transfer hot liquids from 80 qt pots....works great for me.

I don't do that kind of volume, but use a funnel and ladle for putting soup from a pot into a thermos. I got so tired of cleanup I now put the thermos in the sink with the wide mouth funnel in place and move the pot next to it. Same kind of thing.

HC

Love the saucepan idea. Totally did not think of that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

One of these would do the trick

http://www.acehardwa...2631240.1260936

Clever but is it food-grade rated for hot liquids? Probably not.

Considering the long-handled sauce-pan approach- holding a weighty sloshing hot liquid at the end of a sauce-pan and then extending it's length further sounds extremely awkward and hazardous. It'll have to be held uncomfortably with two hands most likely pouring will be difficult in the best scenario. Maybe a trip to the ER in the worst.

My $0.02

One of these would do the trick

http://www.acehardwa...2631240.1260936

Considering the long-handled sauce-pan approach- holding a weighty sloshing hot liquid at the end of a sauce-pan and then extending it's length further sounds extremely awkward and hazardous. It'll have to be held uncomfortably with two hands most likely pouring will be difficult in the best scenario. Maybe a trip to the ER in the worst.

My $0.02

I'm not suggesting the use of a heavy high quality pot....a dime store enameled steel saucepan is lightweight, only takes one hand even when full, and is easier to hold than a stainless steel ladle. Here's my little pot in action, transferring pounds of raw shrimp into a large gumbo pot. It is equally useful in skimming fat off the top of a boiling 80 qt or quickly dipping out lots of boiling liquid. No burns or ER trips, at least 20 years + of use.

image.jpg

Those who use siphons, is it just a piece of flexible tubing and you get it started with your mouth?

Love the saucepan idea. Totally did not think of that.

If you go this way, be aware that Emeril has a line of saucepans with pouring spouts. They're not great pans (though okay), but relatively inexpensive and handy for this sort of thing. (I use them mainly for reductions and hot-packing sauces for pressure canning).

I would use my large pyrex measuring jug (holds a little over 2 quarts) and a canning funnel. basically how I dispense large volumes of liquids for various purposes. this set up works well with a large freezer zip bag placed in an empty tall container with the zip folder over the sides for things like sauce and stock for freezing.. It keeps the zipper nice and clean.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Those who use siphons, is it just a piece of flexible tubing and you get it started with your mouth?

Not necessarily, but you can certainly do so. All you need to maintain the flow is to have the discharge of the tube lower than the level of the supply. You just need to make sure you prime the tube first (evacuate the air). This can be done in many ways.

You can do it that way if you're not too worried about sanitation (in your situation you would have no reason to be worried). Or, you can fill the tubing with water, pinch both ends closed, put one end into the pot of liquid, letting go of the pinch on that end once it is below water level, and then lower the other end of the tube into the target vessel and let go of the pinch. You get some small amount of water in the target vessel, but no mouth germs. You can also let the water discharge into a glass or something and switch to the target vessel once it starts pulling liquid from the pot (this can be a little messy).

--

What kind of tubing does one need to use in order to accommodate hot liquid?