• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making head cheese or a terrine with a pigs head

piracer

So i manged to get half a pigs head that weighs roughly 3-4 pounds and i think making headcheese would be the best option. I sort of did it before but i was just kinda doing it blindly and my seasoning was off, and it was way too cartilidg-ey.

I was thinking of just keeping it real simple this time - cook it in a simple mirexpox with some wine, some simple aromatics like parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary etc. Strip the meat (no ears, i like cooking the ears for something else) and then season it with... well, this is where im not sure what i should do. Salt, pepper, capers perhaps? I was thinking of lining the middle of the terrine with perhaps some pistachos to add a little color and texture. Would adding strips of other colored vegetables be too much? Asparagus, roasted bell peppers comes to mind.

Also how much fat and skin should i put in, if any at all? Also, how reduced should the stock be? I mean, obviously a light jellied stock won't hold up the final product, but can you have a stock that is TOO reduced?

Or if you don't make a terrine product, what would you do with a pigs head?

I make Cajun style hogsheads cheese, so my seasonings are salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, onion, parsley, and plenty of green onion tops. But this regional head cheese style calls for a bit of pork liver, so that's almost a seasoning in itself. Recipe: http://bouillie.us/2009/06/17/headcheese-without-a-head/

Pigs head torchon would be my go to... sounds more or less similar to what you plan on doing. They really should've chosen a different name other than head cheese...

On another note, Pork cheeks/jowel are awesome sous vide if you have that capability.

I'd call it brawn. Head-cheese sounds the least appetizing translation for fromage a la tete, evoking smegma, hog's hair and foamy cheese from a can. I am both drawn and repulsed. I'm sure I'll give in eventually.

In keeping with your original goal: Classic garnish (internal or external) would be diced onion and gherkin. Serve drizzled with a white vinaigrette, bread & mustard to offset the richness I think your capers idea is a winner as well. A single star anise in the braising liquid? As you'll know being from S'pore its a great match for pork.

You should have enough natural gelatin from the head (included fat and skin) but test it by pooling a bit on a plate and refrigerating ontil cold to check for set.