• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Largest Sous Vide?

dcarch

You may have seen the video of Heston's sous vide whole pig in a hot tub.

What is the largest piece of meat you have ever cooked sous vide?

How did you do it?

I have sous vided an 18 lb turkey.

I have done whole racks of spare ribs a few times.

I use oven baking bags for large size items and a beer cooler.

dcarch.

I believe my equipment has the ability to do this. Certainly think 3 packer briskets would fit in my 70 quart Coleman Extreme. Wonder how many days that would take?

That being said- nothing bigger than the size of my palm... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

How did you do the Turkey!? I'd considered this for Thanksgiving, but most of what I've read recommends splitting it up and cooking white/dark meats separately - which put me off.

I've done ribs many times, in brine and bagged. Generally the brine has produced better results, finish those up in a smoker. We often do large cuts of beef, my favorite so far is shoulder clod but I've done brisket, tri-tip, and others as well from about 10-30lbs. I'll cook it in the bag for 12-24 hours depending on the cut & thickness and then finish it with a rub & sear on the grill. I've done a small, whole pig in brine as well! Browned it on a spit before eating and it was delicious.

For this kind of big stuff, I use a Marshalltown bucket heater with my company's temp controller- either in a 5 gallon bucket with a towel over the top or an ice chest for the really big stuff. I find that the bucket can benefit from circulation (I use a bubbler) but the ice chest is fine without it. The only downside to this approach is that for brine items- like the pig- the bucket heater can get grimey and is tough to clean without a pressure washer! To solve that problem, I'd like to pick up something that's smooth on the outside instead, with no cavities, such as a heating tube for aquariums like this one.