• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Hater's Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog"

Kim Shook

"Peppermintbarkville" :D

"Peppermint Bark Poop Nugget" :D:D

"Even with Williams-Sonoma openly trying to peppermint barkify the entire globe..." :D:D:D

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks, Shelby. I always look forward to this.

I have a brick-and-mortar WS about 4 miles from me. I can't remember the last time I looked around there. In the past I have purchased some appliances that were truly good deals but my buying power isn't what it used to be. The last time I did wander through with my DW I was reminded of just how poor the right store can make me feel.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Thanks, Shelby. I always look forward to this.

I have a brick-and-mortar WS about 4 miles from me. I can't remember the last time I looked around there. In the past I have purchased some appliances that were truly good deals but my buying power isn't what it used to be. The last time I did wander through with my DW I was reminded of just how poor the right store can make me feel.

I wander through occasionally to check out the sale/clearance corner. I've gotten some good deals on odds and ends there - I think last find was a silicone spatula in a 'holiday' color so they were clearing it out even though they still had the normal ones at full price. (And by holiday color, I mean it was green. No seasonal designs or anything, just green.)

I hadn't seen this before, but the style seemed strangely familiar. Then I realized it was the same guy who does the "This is why your team sucks" blog for each NFL season. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We were in a W-S a few years ago looking at their stuff, like a $700 counter space hogging panini press.  We happened to hear a chap with a British accent say to a store clerk "I have just moved into a new flat and am looking for some pots and pans." It caught my attention, because what I heard was " I have just left my house and moved out on my own, and need a few things." I immediately felt for the guy and waited to hear how it went. The clerk's condescending and unhelpful response: "If you want pots and pans, go to Walmart, we sell cookware." left a lasting impression on us both!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

When I'm in a mall with a W-S store, I usually wander through. But I can't remember the last time I found something I (a) wanted or needed AND (b) didn't already own. Maybe ten years ago, when my husband was testing out chef's knives? They had a small cart with a cutting board and a supply of potatoes so you could actually see how the knife felt in your hand while you used it.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

We were in a W-S a few years ago looking at their stuff.  We happened to hear a chap with a British accent say to a store clerk "I have just moved into a new flat and am looking for some pots and pans." It caught my attention, because what I heard was " I have just left my house and moved out on my own, and need a few things." I immediately felt for the guy and waited to hear how it went. The clerk's condescending and unhelpful response: "If you want pots and pans, go to Walmart, we sell cookware." left a lasting impression on us both!

HC

Oh my. Fire that fool.

• Like 1

@MelissaH  

at my Maul  WS is almost directly across from Sur le Table

SlaT  has a fairly large area infront of their knives  and when you ask to see one of them , the clerk pulls out a carrot or potato and lets you take the knife for a

test chop.  very effective   Ive almost succumbed many a time.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Funny stuff - thanks Anna.

I will say, there are sometimes deals to be had at WS - I recently bought my good friend one of the upper end Shun knives.  Regular price was $450 on sale for $210.

Hmmm. Not me.  Perhaps you meant to thank @Shelby?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog