• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta thickness

pacman1978

So I am sat here watching Masterchef professionals and they complained about how someones pasta is too thick. How can you make pasta too thick? Given you just keep turning the dial to make it thinner and thinner till the lowest setting how is this possible and especially for a professional? I'm more interested because I might be missing a trick to make my pasta thinner!

Thanks,

Paul

Filled pasta can definitely be too thick. I like making ravioli etc but I learned quickly that I need to have the dough thinner than I think, because it swells up when cooked. The filling can easily be lost if the outer pasta wrapper is too thick or chewy. I'm a big fan of filled pasta but I'm disappointed if I can't taste the filling.

But I have no problem with thick, plain pasta. I especially like lasagne where the noodles have a texture and flavour that's a significant part of the dish, and not just the white bit between oceans of sauce.