• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious Ramen Cookbook

jmolinari

While not a Ramen-exclusive cookbook, there is a section about Ramen making in Takashi's Noodles.

There is pretty damn good recipe for tonkotsu ramen broth on Serious Eats.

I have Takashi's noodles, i'll have to re-read it, i don't remember being enamored by it at first pass. The serious eats column is awesome, i agree.

The Momofuku cookbook has a section on Ramen, including several broths, meats, noodles, and other condiments. I've never cooked any of them, but it looks pretty good.

i might have to re-explore it, but i'm pretty sure it's very similar to the one in LP.

So are you looking for the sort of cookbook that would offer various recipes for ramen noodles, so you can try out different ones until you find one you're happy with? I would think you could tweak the LP one until you get it where you want it, then draw on those recipes for the broths, kaeshi and garnishes. Unless you're looking for something with exhaustive detail on regional variations in all the components, which I agree would be a fascinating read.

I mean, what would a "real" cookbook on ramen look like to you? That sounds to me like asking for a "real" cookbook on risotto.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

i'm looking for something that has regional variation, chapters on tsukemen, chapters on "new" varieties like curry ramen, chapters on different base broths. I guess i'm not REALLY sure what i want...all i know is that i'd like to recreate the ramen i had in Japan, tonkotsu, shoyu, tsukemen, shio etc.

The 2 days i spent making the momofuku broth left me wondering what i am missing or what that recipe is missing. I don't know enough to know what "secret" things, or steps, i'm missing.

I know we tried making the ramen out of Momofuku and failed in the most spectacular fashion. :blush:

I just received momofuku in the mail and read the ramen noodle recipe. My experience with making tight pasta dough with coarse semolina leads me to believe an overnight rest is needed. Then the dough will be smooth and elastic despite being crumbly the day before.