• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit pastry cream

AnnieWilliams

I have only made vanilla and chocolate pastry cream, but I would like to expand into fruit flavors. What's the best way to do it? Replace all or part of the cream or milk with fruit puree, or just add the puree at the end of cooking? I really want a good, strong flavor.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annie,

Having recently tried a passionfruit pastry cream-filled choux from dhardy123, I can honestly say it was exquisite. He used a Boiron recipe (he links to it above), and those choux were really delicious!

I want to try making it, too, since now I know how amazing it can taste. Let us know of your results, please, if you decide to make it.

Thanks again so much! If I don't have any Boiron purees, do you think I could substitute homemade? Also, in the Flavor Enhancer column, how much of that particular ingredient do you add?

Thanks again!

Yes you could definitely use your own home made purees. Most of the Boiron purees are around 10% added sugar.

I just used a dribble with the passionfruit, but I am sure you can omit it all together.

That's a good point about the fruit powder. I thought about using them before with macarons, but they are expensive.

So my math skills suck. What would be 10% sugar in a puree?

90 grams of puree, 10 grams of sugar.