• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jacques Pépin Steamed and Roasted Turkey in New York Times

mache

Yesterday's New York Times article in the Dining & Wine section has a Jacques Pépin recipe for Steamed and Roasted Turkey that I am considering for Thanksgiving. The article states that steaming the turkey first makes for a very moist final product and allows one to skip brining.

Instead of roasting it in the oven, I plan on using my smoker with cherry and apple woods. My smoker has very accurate temperature control. Has anyone tried this approach? Any general comments as to its potential for success or failure?

-- Mache

Yesterday's New York Times article in the Dining & Wine section has a Jacques Pépin recipe for Steamed and Roasted Turkey that I am considering for Thanksgiving. The article states that steaming the turkey first makes for a very moist final product and allows one to skip brining.

Instead of roasting it in the oven, I plan on using my smoker with cherry and apple woods. My smoker has very accurate temperature control. Has anyone tried this approach? Any general comments as to its potential for success or failure?

-- Mache

I have smoke lots of turkeys. It will be great

-- Mache

I am totally anti-brining, but this sounds interesting