• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice grinder recommendation.

antdad

I want to take my Indian cuisine a little more seriously after lazily resorting to powders and preprepared spice pastes and getting bored with their general lack of distinction, freshness and flavour. I have previous, destroyed a couple cheap bladed grinders in the past that can't seem to handle spices and a little lquid without rusting and seizing. Any recommendations?

if you are thinking blade coffee grinder, those cant take water.

a nice one is the older smallest chisinart :

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-1SS-Mini-Prep-Processor-Stainless/dp/B00007IT2M

this one is much lighter and runs around on your counter:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2ABC-Mini-Prep-Processor-Brushed/dp/B0000645YM

the coffee grinder ( for spices now not coffee !) works fine dry.

Sumeet works wonderfully. It's made for Indian spices. However the company is not particularly reliable, mine broke and despite many protestations of difficulties in their Indian plant, and promises of shipping once the difficulties stopped, the five year warranty was never honored.

I have a Cuisinart SG-10 (or previous incarnation) spice and nut grinder. It is not a mini-processor as the two items pictured above, so I don't put liquids in it. It is similar to using a coffee grinder, but for hard whole spices I find it works far better. It also makes small quantities of grain or nut flour very quickly. And it is totally easy to clean. I got it as a gift several years ago and it seems fool proof.

Would it be appropriate to use something like a 'Hario Skelton, ceramic burr coffee grinder' for spices? Does anyone else use something like this? Thoughts please... I'm in the market for one too although I have a good morter and pestle already (heavy and awkward to clean).

I don't see why not, the Hario is supposed to be an excellent coffee grinder so it should be for spices, don't quote me on that. I'm looking at a cuisineart burr grinder, folks seem quickly realise they are not suitable for espresso and they're up on flea bay in no time.

using this one for grinding spices and dry seeds:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SPEU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00004SPEU&linkCode=as2&tag=awa0221-20

I've been using this brand for years but only for dry items. But I have to say I keep two around just in case one burns out, not that it burns out easily, but I tend to use it even when making bulk items. Sometimes I'm making desserts that need dry finely ground seeds nuts etc it does it a much better and even job than the mini cuisinart/ food processor.

for small batches of spices I use the mortar and pestle...

www.eatthesun.com

using this one for grinding spices and dry seeds:

http://www.amazon.co...tag=awa0221-20

I have the same Krups grinder that I use for grinding spices. I've been happy with it.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Yeah I forgot to say even though I have a substantial m&p I don't get any pleasure from grinding spices a mano.

How about using a spinning blade grinder for the spices, then a mortar-and-pestle for the paste?

The Indian way would be with a mortar and pestle.

I totally agree, fresh spices ground down for one dish, no hot whizzing blades or steel cut rollers ., no worry about 'Can I grind my Coffee now?' There are so many Pestle and Mortars on the market now, cheap they are.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I bought the Waring Spice Grinder Twyst mentions above several years ago. I've been happy ever since. It can grind anything, even cloves, nutmeg, peppercorns, you name it. I've found it to be worth the money.