• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnnieWilliams

Ganache with 85%

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone make ganache (for icing cakes) with 85% chocolate? I picked up two bars yesterday, one 85% and the other 70%, and there was a huge difference in taste between the two. The 85% definitely had a deeper, more complex flavor, but it was obviously quite bitter.

I'm on the fence about whether to use it straight and add a small amount of sugar, or to use a combo of the 70 and 85.

Thanks for your help!

I use a blend of 75% and 95% which evens out to 85% overall in my icing ganaches... I add no sugar whatsoever, apart from a teensy bit of corn syrup (15 mL) to help with the emulsion. I'd play around a bit - maybe try making ganaches (small batches) with just the 85% and just the 75%, comparing the flavours, and then try blending after that.

The bigger key is to use a small amount of butter to improve the final texture - there isn't a whole lot of fat in the high-solids chocolates, and adding just a hint of butter goes a very long way. If you like, my formula is in the recent Ganache thread.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0