• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books by David Zinczenko: "Grill this, Not That", "Eat this, not that", etc.

rotuts

there are a number of books from the series above:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/192-7565309-4601358?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=grill+this+not+that

My library has them and they are both interesting and entertaining, and mind boggling.

I your library does not have them, suggest them. it you see them in a bookstore (are there still bookstores?) take a look.

Learned a great deal from them re commercial cooking/ commercial (grocery) food.

• 1 year later...

these books still seem to be coming out.  My library system seems to get them all.

they are attractive to browse through, and you might lean some interesting things about what's in your market and served at various 'Chain' eateries.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-author=David%20Zinczenko&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ADavid%20Zinczenko

Abs and bikini's are optional.

maybe your library system has a few.

I've browsed a few of these in the bookstores, but not really given them the time of day.  They looked a bit too, gimmicky, I think, for me to take them seriously.  Maybe I should take another look?  Can you give some examples of useful information you've picked up out of these?  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ketchup

Go organic : 'many times the term organic does not mean the product is healthier.  J. of agriculture :  organic tomatoes, O. tomatoes O. T.juice

have higher levels of antiozidants

Tj's Organic K.  :  15 cals  150 sodium 2 gm sugar > ... > ... > Hunt's 100% natural:  20 cals  190 Na  4 gm sugar  " stripped out the corn syrup but added sugar"

pp 130  eat it to beat it.

this current book is about commercial eating and commercial food stuffs.

Id not buy these, as they are once over books.  but my lib. system has them all.

never would have give Tj's any thought.  now Ill try it and return it if I don't like it.

however, F.D.:  not a big ketcup eater.

Edited by rotuts (log)