• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Seattle

David Ross

I don't know what else to do with a pickle other than eat it with a sandwich on on a sandwich or a burger. Or a garnish for some pate or something like that.

What would a true "Top Chef" do with a pickle?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I don't know what else to do with a pickle other than eat it with a sandwich on on a sandwich or a burger. Or a garnish for some pate or something like that.

What would a true "Top Chef" do with a pickle?

I would have coated the pickles with cornmeal and fried them. Then I would have made a sauce of parsley and pickle. Then I would have served the whole lot with crispy fried frogs legs. Then I would have.....

I did have to laugh when they brought out truffled popcorn and made it sound like it was founded by a merchant at Pike Place Market. Yeah right. It was a rip-off of a rip-off of somebody elses idea and the guy got the money to sell it at a booth at the market. What a culinary revelation.

I'd have used pickle juice t o flavor a cole slaw to serve with pulled pork that had pickle bits in it.

RE Truffled anything: way over done to my taste. Truffle oil is an abuse waiting to happen.

Edited by gfweb (log)

Now I'm starting to yawn a bit. I was so glad that the Producers seemingly got rid of a lot of those stupid challenges from the past and were serving us more food-focused challenges. So the Cheftestants are given great products and they put out boring food and the show is boring. I wanted to hope the new direction would be more interesting than this......

Now I'm starting to yawn a bit. I was so glad that the Producers seemingly got rid of a lot of those stupid challenges from the past and were serving us more food-focused challenges. So the Cheftestants are given great products and they put out boring food and the show is boring. I wanted to hope the new direction would be more interesting than this......

Really? I thought the homecoming party was pretty good. THat seafood chowder looked amazing and I plan on making that sometime in the near future.

Really? I thought the homecoming party was pretty good. THat seafood chowder looked amazing and I plan on making that sometime in the near future.

The seafood chowder did look good, but I just wish I was seeing more creativity. The creativity on "The Next Iron Chef" is better than what I've seen on Top Chef recently.

I'm really starting to dislike this John whatshisname who wears his eyeglasses on his forehead. He's rather too self-important to suit me.

*sigh* I miss watching the British cooking shows. Everyone is calmer.

I have to admit I am enjoying it, maybe just because I am a Seattle native and it is exciting to see places I know. I can't say who stands out for me out of the remaining chefs. I liked CJ, hope he does well in last chance kitchen.

I think living in Seattle has helped boost my interest as well.

I like: the Seattle location

I dislike: John Tesar...what a pompous ass he appears to be!

Also, the team challenges, I don't get it. They take away from each other.

I wish "Last Chance Kitchen" was available on my cable and I don't know why it's not.

I like John Tesar. Talented, speaks his mind, gracious (yes, he has been) and accepting in his own way. :-)

Joshua Valentine - now THERE'S a prick of the first order. ;-)

Regarding "Last Chance Kitchen" - it is designed as a web-only feature viewable on the Bravo website, so - no, it is not available on one's cable service, whether in the US or elsewhere.

Edited by huiray (log)

Regarding "Last Chance Kitchen" - it is designed as a web-only feature viewable on the Bravo website, so - no, it is not available on one's cable service, whether in the US or elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that's how it works.

I have to admit I am enjoying it, maybe just because I am a Seattle native and it is exciting to see places I know. I can't say who stands out for me out of the remaining chefs. I liked CJ, hope he does well in last chance kitchen.

I think living in Seattle has helped boost my interest as well.

I've lived in the Northwest for 55 years and that's also boosted my interest in the show this season. But at the same time, because I have a higher interest in the show I have greater expectations from the Chefs. I've lived with the bounty of the Pacific Northwest my entire life so I know what a gift it is to a Chef to be exposed to all these wonderful products. I hope they'll step up their game in the remaining weeks and show us more creativity.

In the past I've clearly spotted a front-runner at this point in the competition, but I don't have a front-runner yet this season. I guess if I was forced to name one at this point, I'd say John Tesar, although I'd like to smack him for his rude personality. On the other hand, I can name any number of Chefs lagging behind. If you can name more weak Chefs than strong ones, that's probably not a good sign.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that's how it works.

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-10/last-chance-kitchen

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

On the other hand, I can name any number of Chefs lagging behind. If you can name more weak Chefs than strong ones, that's probably not a good sign.

Which is why Season 6 was such a good one (the Voltaggio brothers, Kevin Gillespie, Jennifer Carroll) in my opinion. OTOH, some have said that it was sort-of a cop-out *because* the front-runners were so obvious right from the beginning and everyone else was just filler to stretch out the season for the requisite number of episodes.

For having a lot of potential -- head to head matchups, good ingredients to work with -- last night's episode was a bit of a snooze. Stefan's banter is the best thing going this year. Maybe it's just that we're at that dreaded part of every Top Chef season where you pretty much know who's going to be in the top -- right now Kristen, John, Stefan, Sheldon, look like the front runners -- but are just waiting to weed out the lesser likes of Micah, Josie, & Josh.

As soon as Padma looked at the contestants and told them they had to make a breakfast on a stick, I looked at my husband and told him that I felt the shark circling. We've been watching on DVR, so I don't remember what episode that was, but I feel like this season we've been zipping through a lot of content that wasn't worth our time to watch.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm getting caught up on episodes--at number 7 right now, the "Foiled Again" show. I wanted to throw something at the television when I saw Josie pair Dungeness Crab and Sockeye Salmon with Raspberries. You don't have to be from the Pacific Northwest to realize that raspberries don't go with fresh, beautiful seafood. At least most of the time. (Years ago a famous Northwest Chef did a stunning dish of seared salmon with a raspberry sauce). Josie really mucked up stuffing the seafood into a spring roll and pairing it with a cloying mayonnaise sauce. Then raspberries.

She should have gone home, but alas, survived. Why did they ever bring her back? But she's just a symptom of a disease that's raising its ugly head as the season progresses--these Chefs haven't fully learned that sometimes less, (as in a fresh gooseberry), is better, as opposed to more, (as in gooseberries with chorizo), Chef John.

My confidence is somewhat restored as I watch episode 8 and the quickfire challenge with fresh oysters. Micah did something very simple yet somewhat difficult--perfectly frying an oyster. It must be crispy, but it still should be basically raw in the center, just warmed through by the hot oil bath. And as fate would have it, I myself had fried fresh Pacific oysters for dinner last night. I have a bit more experience than Micah, having fried oysters for oh, about 40 years or so.

I'm getting caught up on episodes--at number 7 right now, the "Foiled Again" show. I wanted to throw something at the television when I saw Josie pair Dungeness Crab and Sockeye Salmon with Raspberries. You don't have to be from the Pacific Northwest to realize that raspberries don't go with fresh, beautiful seafood. At least most of the time. (Years ago a famous Northwest Chef did a stunning dish of seared salmon with a raspberry sauce). Josie really mucked up stuffing the seafood into a spring roll and pairing it with a cloying mayonnaise sauce. Then raspberries.

She should have gone home, but alas, survived. Why did they ever bring her back? But she's just a symptom of a disease that's raising its ugly head as the season progresses--these Chefs haven't fully learned that sometimes less, (as in a fresh gooseberry), is better, as opposed to more, (as in gooseberries with chorizo), Chef John.

Why did they bring her back? I can only assume for the drama factor which she is playing full force