• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking a potato

acidfrog

Sorry for vague title but not sure what to put

Whilst taking inspiration

I wanted to have a potato that was simmered in a sauce until it took on its flavor and colour

and whilst having this idea found a blog about using pectin and calcium to form a structured skin

with out taking that into account i started off with simmering my potatoes in a stock and wine mixture

what i got was good but not perfect and also left me with a few questions which i am struggling to answer

First of the potato wasn't as dark as i would like it which i am assuming i change by reducing the sauce it is simmering in

The main one is that the potato had seemed to form an outside that had a much "firmer" texture than the centre which is perfect and completely accidental but i am wondering why this is ?

Edited by acidfrog (log)

It's the acidity of the wine causing the potato's outer layer to toughen. Happens when you cook potatoes in a tomato sauce as well. Learned this the hard way when making a tangy tamarind potato dish...original recipe called for parboiling the potatoes and I skipped that step. The tamarind sauce toughened the potatoes & they never got fully tender, despite practically falling into bits. The cooking liquid's acidity will also affect the potatoes' color.

do you mean the acidity will stop it from going darker ?

i had narrowed it down to the acidity but its great to know you have it spot on

would love to know what is going on ?

i may try simmering for much longer and see how firm it can stay and how soft the center can get

Acidity keeps the potato firm, too much acid and the potato will never get very soft. I put a tsp of vinegar in the pot of water when I boil potatoes for potato salad so they keep their shape. Much more than that and you won't get an appealing texture.

What exactly is happening then what is reacting with the acidity in the potato to do this

i was left with essentially a "skin" are you saying that i could keep boiling and it would develop no further as that would be based on amount of acid as opposed to time in the solution ?