• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange wonderful fish.

Alex Parker

Hendrik? I think shark , like skate, is one of those fish that have no urinary tract and pee thru their skin...Thats why the ammonia smell

Oh I didn't know that. Is there any way to get rid of that smell? Maybe a light brine?

I have smelled ammonia on both cod and langoustines gone bad and only even thinking about it makes me feel sick. You can imagine I'm very hesitant to try a fish that has a slight smell of ammonia even it's supposed to.

Edited by Hendrik (log)

Holy cow thanks everyone! Lots of different options here. Skate on Slate is hilarious. Has a nice ring to it as well! :P

I will be doing all sorts of research when I return home tonight. Again thanks for all the responses. I will be up late tonight!

Alex.

The best way to approach this is to identify a good sea food provider, and ask them what is in season, and currently "best", rather than asking for a specific type of fish....

Once you have the freshest, in season fish...then you decide what to do with it. At least that's they way i look at fish.

Edited by Heartsurgeon (log)

+1 for the above!

One always shops for what is in season and the freshest with fish.

As to skate/shark and ammonia, if your selling fish then it's normal but if you really understand fish, preparation and decomposition, then it's not normal. I've had skate wings, on the bone, filleted etc and, Mako shark and other types over the decades and most did not smell of ammonia in any way shape or form. Any that did, were thrown out as its a sign of improper handling/decomposition despite what 'experts' will tell you.-Dick

Just a brief word about shark: most species of sharks are loaded with mercury. If you plan to have any pregnant women at the party don't serve shark. There are no longer a lot of fish in the sea; most are either loaded with mercury or fished or farmed in such a way as to be bad for the environment. I agree with the two posters above. Check out what's fresh and available in your area and then refer to the Monterey Bay Aquarium list of recommended fish and pick the best of both worlds.

• 3 months later...

Holy cow thanks everyone! Lots of different options here. Skate on Slate is hilarious. Has a nice ring to it as well! :P

I will be doing all sorts of research when I return home tonight. Again thanks for all the responses. I will be up late tonight!

Alex.

Don't forget, dressing skate with Buerre noisette resolves the Ammonia thing. there is technical chemical reason for it but you can google that.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.