• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strange wonderful fish.

Alex Parker

I am doing a dinner for 15 people and the hostess has decided on Fish as one of the main courses. But she doesn't want anything too common. I have done Salmon and Tuna for her in the past. I was thinking something like Monk fish but its pricey here as its trendy as all hell at the moment.

Anyone have any recommendations as to a fun weird, great tasting fish?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Monkfish for me is an amazing fish, so meaty and robust that it really stands up well to bold flavours. Few fish I can think of are:

Turbot - also slightly expensive but a beutiful clean tasting fish

Mackarel - nice and oily and so goes well with sharp flavours to cut through the oiliness. Cheap as hell here in the uk - goes really well with beetroot and horseradish

Swordfish - Very similar to tuna in texture, really meaty and can be handled in a similar way

Mullet - Mediterranean fish that can be nice stuffed with lemon, herbs, etc and roasted.

Trout - similar to salmon really nice cooked en pappiotte

Cod/Haddock - very common in the uk meaty clean tasting fish although probably a little boring for what you are after.

Sea Bream/Sea bass - really good with oriental flavours

What type of cuisine are you thinking of cooking as certain fish lend themselves to those styles? Hope these are some ideas!

Thread is now about throwing out random fish names :rolleyes:

My vote is for sanma. OP can Google it.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Thread is now about throwing out random fish names :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Well, if we're talking about "weird" fish, I'll throw in shark, skate or eel. If you have access to one, hang out at an Asian fishmonger, there's plenty of "weird" stuff there without breaking the bank.

If you want "fun" fish - a heaping plate of deep-fried whitebait. Not really an entree type dish, but so much fun to snack on!

Did you sneak in a "What types are you thinking?" for her? Sometimes they won't get too out of the box and it may be a fish you could save on food cost . Also are you doing this dinner all yourself? I always have to factor in the size of the group with how hard the fish is to work with.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Sorry. Wrote that in a hurry as I am busy here.

I am in Ontario Canada. I was thinking about shark but its pricey.

To the person who suggested the Pacific Saury, I never really thought of it. The dinner is in two weeks, and in keeping with a late Autumn theme, the fish would go well with that. Maybe do something with a Daikon lime reduction, as those flavours lend well to the fish. Hmm.. I know there was a shortage in 2010. Are prices still on the rebound because of that?

Keep them coming!

Alexander.

Sorry. Wrote that in a hurry as I am busy here.

I am in Ontario Canada. I was thinking about shark but its pricey.

To the person who suggested the Pacific Saury, I never really thought of it. The dinner is in two weeks, and in keeping with a late Autumn theme, the fish would go well with that. Maybe do something with a Daikon lime reduction, as those flavours lend well to the fish. Hmm.. I know there was a shortage in 2010. Are prices still on the rebound because of that?

Keep them coming!

Alexander.

I had shark once, and it tasted faintly of ammonia; I was told this was usual and 'special', but regardless, I'd say that if it is usual for shark to taste like that, you might want to think twice about it.

Also, what sort of presentation are you going with? Whole, skin and head on? If not, regardless of how 'fun, weird' your fish looks when it's on the slab, when it's served, it's just going to be 'fish', in which case, I'd focus on finding the tastiest reasonably priced fish for your purposes, and if the name isn't 'fun' enough, just find out what it's called in another language (e.g.the one whose cuisine is inflecting the dish as a whole), and use that.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Heh. Not basing it on the name. My client has a love of seafood, and as such her pallet is exceptional, so "fish" taste isn't really going to cut it. I am definitely wanting do a whole fish presentation, skin on etc, and I am going to probably plate it on slate.

Did shark when I was in culinary school. Didn't notice any ammonia tastes within it, so I cant say all shark tastes like that. What kind of shark was it?

Alex

Can you get your hands on a whole Dorado (Mahi Mahi)? They're very unusual looking creatures and would respond well to that kind of plating.

The other ideas I have are both expensive and difficult to source in Canada - whole piranha, steamed in banana leaf with garlic and taro root, is particularly delicious and a conversation starter; Arrowana is also extremely decorative and tasty, but I think you'd have to source it at pet stores.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I had shark once, and it tasted faintly of ammonia; I was told this was usual and 'special', but regardless, I'd say that if it is usual for shark to taste like that, you might want to think twice about it.

Ammonia smell and taste is a sign of seafood gone bad. I have never eaten shark myself so I don't know what it's supposed to taste like, but If it tasted like ammonia it is very likely the shark you ate just wasn't fresh.

Hendrik? I think shark , like skate, is one of those fish that have no urinary tract and pee thru their skin...Thats why the ammonia smell

Yes. The urea in the blood is released thru the skin. That is why most shark has that ammonia flavor. I believe that there are a few species that are more tasty like the Mako. You still need to bleed them quickly so the urea doesn't turn to ammonia.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Bjs229 (log)