• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Next Iron Chef 2012 (semi-spoiler alert)

gfweb

The cast is mostly losers from past contests or Top Chef. The one exception, the one guy with gravitas, with his own history of real success gets eliminated in the first show, mainly because he clearly thought the process was a crock of dung and wasn't suitably awed by the three judges. Whichever one of these lightweights wins won't matter. They can't stand up even to Zakarian.

The cast is mostly losers from past contests or Top Chef. The one exception, the one guy with gravitas, with his own history of real success gets eliminated in the first show, mainly because he clearly thought the process was a crock of dung and wasn't suitably awed by the three judges. Whichever one of these lightweights wins won't matter. They can't stand up even to Zakarian.

I agree but Love could have avoided being such a smart-ass. It is apparent to me they eliminated him solely on this aspect. That being said Faulkner ought to do well and she nearly beat Zakarian in the last series- lost by the slimmest hair.

• 3 months later...

Old thread I know, but I was just moping over how boring most of the winners of Next Iron Chef. The irons chefs I'd kill to watch are Faulkner, Mehta, Costenino... , people who surprise and delight. I find Garces. Fiorgeone and Zakarian boring to watch. Their food may taste the best in the end run, but I'd like to see daring do replacements for Morimoto and Batali. If you dont' have the backbone to make sardine ice cream, get off my stage.

I hope Alex will provide a bit of that courage, but I'm not too hopeful.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

I've never been able to warm up to Iron Chef: American Style.

I loved Iron Chef when it was (poorly) dubbed in English and the judges were all some sort of Japanese celebrities and food writers. It was so weird and charming and, well Japanese.

The American version is just undignified, to my mind.

You said it, Annabelle. Part of the original's charm was the dubbing. Whoever came up with the dubbing is some kind of genius. I especially loved the giggly bimbo and the gravitas of the Rosanjin scholar.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Did anyone see the Iron Chef America pilot with William Shatner as chairman in full regalia? I recall a complete train wreck, yet I recall it fondly.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

Old thread I know, but I was just moping over how boring most of the winners of Next Iron Chef. The irons chefs I'd kill to watch are Faulkner, Mehta, Costenino... , people who surprise and delight. I find Garces. Fiorgeone and Zakarian boring to watch. Their food may taste the best in the end run, but I'd like to see daring do replacements for Morimoto and Batali. If you dont' have the backbone to make sardine ice cream, get off my stage.

I hope Alex will provide a bit of that courage, but I'm not too hopeful.

Many cooking contest shows have rules that reward safe, boring dishs. I cringe hearing judges say 'Be Creative! Push Yourself!' because I know damn well that that's exactly what gets people kicked off the show while the 'perfectly executed' grilled cheese sandwich gets passed on to the next round.