• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emergency Water Storage

dcarch

Not sure where this topic belong.

A tip:

Many of you may find it essential to store water after having seen the destructiveness of the storm Sandy .

The bags from box wines (You wine snobs, shut up. LOL) are perfect for emergency water storage. They take very little room to store, and they are very durable. Each bag can hold about two gallons.

Don't throw them away and mess up our environment.

dcarch

winebag_zps492a5c08.jpg

LOL I have a few of those around the house! A fantastic idea!

I keep 5 gallon stainless steel cornelius kegs around for beer and they are awesome for storing clean water. Many homebrewers in Sandy's path were filling these up in anticipation of the loss of drinking and cooking water.

There are some really great ideas here already (love the bleach jug). Many folks that have to prepare for, and deal with, storms just like Sandy on a fairly regular basis (ie, Floridians, Gulf-coast residents, etc.) have large-volume water storage vessels (we have two of these: http://www.agrisuppl...CFROnPAodXyAATw ), but that's not practical if you live in an apartment or otherwise have limited storage. In a previous 'preparing for a hurricane/disaster' thread, Andie mentioned canned water, which is a really wonderful product, although again, if you have limited storage space, might be problematic.

And Andie's Berkey water treatment systems sound pretty terrific but of course you only need to decontaminate water if you actually have water, which, after a hurricane, you very often (and I'd actually say, 'usually') don't. In fact, the number-one "tip" that old storm hands invariably give to neophytes is to be certain that you've secured a potable water supply for yourself and your family enough to last you at least 4 days.

For people with limited storage space, Dcarch's wine bag suggestion seems ideal.

Good thinking!

:smile:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

After the 1971 earthquake when I lived in the San Fernando valley and the city water supply was compromised, we were advised to boil water before use but we had no electricity and no gas because many gas lines had ruptured and the service in many areas, especially where houses were built on "fill" in areas that were dry riverbeds in the early '30s and '40s. My husband knew the owner of the sporting goods store in Canoga Park and although his store was not open, he was able to get in and get the water purifier for us and two camp stoves. We did have a camper van and I was able to cook and use the propane fridge for milk and etc.

We used the Berkefeld water purifier when camping in the Sierras, taking water from streams - which I would not drink without boiling or putting it through the purifier.

After the '94 quake my well was impacted - some of the shaft casing cracked and again the water was problematic.

I have enough of the canned, long-term storage water to provide me with drinking and cooking water for a month, just in case, as a backup for the Berkey in case there is NO water service. (I've also got a self-contained incinerating toilet in one of the garden sheds, because that is another problem when there is no water - it has its own propane tank...)

I have learned a lot from being in a couple of disaster zones and am not going to be wishing for something when it is too late to get it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett