• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best affordable bulk chocolate?

jrshaul

After reading some comments by eGullet members, I've found superb prices on bulk coverture. Albert Uster carries several varieties in 5kg sacks for around $45, a great savings over Green & Black's or even Callebaut. What's your preferred chocolate for under $10/kg?

I don't know, but I just got a couple of samples from AUI and did not care for them. One was the orchid and the other a more premium variety, but I didn't care for either and would rather pay more for better chocolate. Callebaut and Felchlin are what I turn to when Valrhona is too dear.

I'm sorry to hear that; I'd heard nice things about the Orchid line and hoped to use it.

How much should I expect to pay for coverture at foodservice rates? I'm under the impression there's a not insignificant discount.

I've been using the AUI Orchid line for a couple of years and find it's flavor, quality, and usability all quite good. You also have to consider what you're using it for. If you're simply eating chocolate, then yes, I would go with something different. One of my favorite eating chocolates is the E. Guittard "Sur del Lago" single origin. However, if you're making bon bons or other candies which include rather strongly flavored centers, then you should be looking for chocolate(s) which complement those centers. Personally, I find that the Orchid line has very nice flavors that work well with a variety of centers. This means I only need to stock 4 different chocolates (white, milk, 65% and 74%). Every additional chocolate you stock increases your costs. Finding something you like enough to use more broadly makes your operation more efficient.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I'm sorry to hear that; I'd heard nice things about the Orchid line and hoped to use it.

How much should I expect to pay for coverture at foodservice rates? I'm under the impression there's a not insignificant discount.

A loaded question...the answer most purveyors would give you is, "as much as the market can bear".

My town (Vancouver) has this thingee about Callebaut. Granted, it is good stuff, but everyone is using it, and I find their 70/30 "McDonald's-y"--that is, very bland, one flavoured, but very consistent. Almost everyone uses it, and the main distributer has quite an attitude. If you don't negotiate prices with the purveyor--in which volume is always the focal point-- they(purveyor) will jerk the prices around like a yo-yo. I know of some guys importing direct from St. Hyacinth(callebaut factory in Quebec) for as low as $6/kg and I've chased out reps giving me a "steal" of a price for as high as $20/kg for the same 70/30.

I use Lindt. Good stuff, and the prices don't fluctuate, AND they don't have a sales rep.

I've been using Callebaut for years, I used to buy it directly from Qzina and even visited one of their offices (in Florida) to pick up 50 pounds. But for the past (at least) 5 years, I've been buying from a wholesale vendor that sells retail on-line and their price for the 11kg bars can't be beat. They haven't raised the price and the shipping is a flat fee. And luckily for me, they're in the same state (MA) so I get my shipment in a couple of days. I pay between $49.95 and $59.95 for the 11kg bars of white to bittersweet. And there's only a $50 minimum!

I should probably specify here that I'm looking to buy a very large amount of chocolate, if not immediately. I'm sorry to hear that the Callebaut reps are such schmucks - $6CAD/kilogram is an absolutely superb price, but I doubt I could get it with a 50lb order.

ChocolateMan stocks Guittard coverture for just over $5/lb. I have yet to taste it personally, but I hear it's rated well, and the price is right.

http://www.chocolateman.com/pc-338-9-la-nuit-noire-dark-night-55-11-lb-box-coins.aspx

I should probably specify here that I'm looking to buy a very large amount of chocolate, if not immediately. I'm sorry to hear that the Callebaut reps are such schmucks - $6CAD/kilogram is an absolutely superb price, but I doubt I could get it with a 50lb order.

ChocolateMan stocks Guittard coverture for just over $5/lb. I have yet to taste it personally, but I hear it's rated well, and the price is right.

http://www.chocolate...-box-coins.aspx

What do you consider to be a very large amount of chocolate? I have found that if you are planning to purchase less than 500 pounds at a time you will be dealing with a distributor, store-front, or online retailer.

What do you consider to be a very large amount of chocolate? I have found that if you are planning to purchase less than 500 pounds at a time you will be dealing with a distributor, store-front, or online retailer.

Let's just say "Less than 500 pounds." I've seen cars that weigh less than that...

Does anyone offer a sampler of a variety of chocolates? I've used some Green & Black's I got for a song, but found it to be just a little sour for my taste.

Let's just say "Less than 500 pounds." I know people who drive vehicles lighter than that.

Does anyone offer a sampler of a variety of chocolates? I've used some Green & Black's I got for a song, but found it to be just a little sour for my taste.

i would highly recommend getting bars from each of the brands you are considering and decide what appeals to you palate and your wallet. Just looking at all the comments above it is obviously a very personal choice. I was able to purchase bars of a lot of different chocolates at a (fairly) local chocolate shop & did a tasting with some friends. It is interesting to see how people respond to the different chocolates. I think you can purchase single bars from Chocosphere or chocolateman, then you might have a better idea of what you want to spend your money on.

Try Cacao Barry. They have some amazing chocolate, especially their Extra-Bitter Guayaquil 64% if you like dark. Its great for ganaches. Also, there's Valrhona Chocolate from France but it would be more expensive. They have one flavor called Lactee Orange and its really, really good.

I think you can purchase single bars from Chocosphere or chocolateman, then you might have a better idea of what you want to spend your money on.

The problem is that while Valrhona and El Rey are quite keen on consumer purchases, the more pedestrian stuff is only available in much larger quantities. I already know that $20/kg chocolate is superb; it's the cheap stuff that interests me.

How are you planning to use this chocolate? Would you like dark, milk, or white chocolate? Is this a one time purchase or will this be a continuing project? I would suggest that you purchase samples of a few of the chocolates that you are interested in and run some experiments.

A recent survey I did of online suppliers, which of course did not include every source, the lowest prices I found was for E Guittard from world wide chocolate. Semisweet dark 60%- Ramona- $6.29/#

Milk 32.5%- molding heritage- $5.96/#, or $5.66 if you purchase 50#.

White - high Sierra- $6.46/#.

Don't forget to take your shipping costs into account as well. Shipping will be cheaper during the colder months, so it might be wise to stock up a bit!

Hope that helps

I've recently spent hours researching this since my local source for Callebaut closed last year. (I think the very low prices they were charging may have had something to do with their closing.) I was not looking for large quantities so there may be cheaper sites if you are buying more. I ended up purchasing from Gygi: Belgian Bittersweet callets, 5.5lbs for 25.99, Belgian Milk chocolate callets, 2.5 lbs for 13.99, Belgian white callets, 5.5 lbs for 31.99. They also stock Guittard not E. Guittard) which was cheaper but I prefer Callebaut. They also had "non-Belgian" Callebaut, produced, I believe, in Canada, also cheaper. The people at Gygi's that I spoke to on the phone were extremely helpful. My order should come this week so I'll see if they are also efficient.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I use E. Guittard 61% Sunrise as my standard dark chocolate. The texture and flavor profile compliment every flavor I have tried so far, plus it is pretty good eating chocolate so can be used in molded items too.

I buy it in cases of 25lbs from a distributor for less than $4.50/lb (or less than $10/kg).

As a follow up - My shipment from Gygi arrived today - in spite of UPS making my address as "affected by hurricane delays" (I'm in upstate NY).

So - efficient, helpful and about the lowest prices I found.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I'm going to link here to a few good'uns. Admittedly, my brain is starting to turn to jam from wildly varying descriptions and prices.

Guittard La Nuit Noire coverture - $57/5kg callets. I know nothing about this whatsoever other than that it's much cheaper than Williams Sonoma. Of course, everything is cheaper than Williams Sonoma.

https://www.chocolateman.com/pc-338-9-la-nuit-noire-dark-night-55-11-lb-box-coins.aspx

Cacao Barry Mi Amere Dark Pistoles - $58/5kg callets. This is from an Amazon storefront, but $5.27 for Cacao Barry is pretty hard to beat.

http://www.amazon.com/Mi-Amere-Dark-Pistoles-58/dp/B0028S6URO/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A30KZ5KMEUBUR8

Cacao Barry Pistoles Excellence - $65.10. A pretty good price on good chocolate from a major retailer.

http://www.europeanfoodservice.com/cacao-b-pistoles-excellence/

Barry Callebaut 815NV callets - $84/10kg callets. This is from a big distributor, and the price is certainly hard to beat. But is it any good?

http://wholesalemeltingchocolate.gostorego.com/chocolate-brands/callebaut-chocolate/callebaut-finest-belgian-bitter-sweet-chocolate-callets-22-lb-815nv.html

Merckens 10lb Yucatan chocolate. I know nothing about this beyond that some people like it and it's really staggeringly cheap. I don't know if it's coverture appropriate, but $3.19 a pound makes it worth trying in ganache.

http://www.gygi.com/shop/index.php/merckens-10-lb-yucatan-dark-chocolate-bar.html

Guittard Select Milk Chocolate: I can't find much information on this, but the price is right, it's labelled "coverture," and it says "Guittard" on it.

http://www.gygi.com/shop/index.php/guittard-10lb-signature-milk-chocolate-bar.html

Barry Callebaut 815NV callets - $84/10kg callets. This is from a big distributor, and the price is certainly hard to beat. But is it any good?

http://wholesalemelt...2-lb-815nv.html

I like the 815 more than the 811 - less sweet. But make sure it's the Belgian not the American.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)