• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bite-sized tart pans?

abadoozy

In anticipation of the holiday cooking season, I'm looking for some mini tart pans. I have a set similar to these, only the bottom is 3", across the top it's just under 4" - more appetizer sized, definitely needs a plate and a fork to eat.

I want to make smaller tarts - just one or two bites, something easy to pick up and eat without a plate or a fork. I'm coming across tons of options! Non-stick pans, silicone pans, individual molds (but none that I can find that are both small and have removeable bottoms.)

Can someone recommend first, a good size? 1.5" - 2" across the bottom is what I'm thinking, but ideally they would be one big bite or two normal-sized bites.

Second, any opinions on pans versus individual molds versus non-stick versus removeable bottoms versus silicon would be very much appreciated.

I have a big stack of what I assume are supposed to be mini muffin pans that are no bigger than 1.5" across the bottom, They may actually be a little smaller than that, I'd have to check. They're non-stick and don't have removeable bottoms but they work great for bite-size tarts. They also don't get as much use as they used to because I have to be feeling particularly dedicated or getting well paid to want to make all of those %@&! tiny shells. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Matfer has a lot of sizes on their website, but they can be pricey. I would personally check out your dollar store/chinatwown/old-school hardware store.

I don't like non-stick, as the non-stick usually fails after a few bakes.

Problem with silicone is that they are all cast together in one sheet. Lining out each cavitiy when all cavities are stuck together is a nuisance and the person who figured that no one would notice or care should be taken out back and beat with a rolling pin.

Here's how I line out a dozen -two dozen indiviual tins within 4 minutes:

Roll out your dough , line up your tins on the table so that they are about 1" apart.

Gently drape the dough over the tins, now push the tins together, and grab a wad of floured dough and press inside each tin.

Use two pieces of broomstick about 12" long (or dowel, or 1" plastic waterpipe) and roll them over the whole thing. Each tart will be cut out and the remaining dough will fall down inbetween the tins.*

*this method only works with tins that have no rolled rim or a fat "lip" on them

Try doing that with a flimsy floppy silicone tray.............l

I don't like non-stick, as the non-stick usually fails after a few bakes.

That's always been my thought as well but I have about 2 dozen 12-cavity non-stick trays that are close to 15 years old. I inherited them after my mom passed away. She used them for years to do her christmas baking in, I used them for a few years for catering work. I agree with you that they are a royal pain in the arse to line, which is why they don't get used much anymore, but they're still in perfect condition.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I use these: http://www.bakedeco....13#.UJMU_YUU6H0

I much prefer the 60mm, would say it is two small bites. I have some of the 50mm also, but they are just small enough to be really annoying to deal with. Actually the only thing I use the smaller ones for anymore is to nest inside the larger when I am blind baking fillo tartlet shells. I just wipe them clean with a paper towel, and don't wash them unless they are really sticky. You don't need removable bottoms. If the filling gets on the edge, just loosen it with a paring knife and flip the tarlet out. A well-baked dough with enough fat should not stick.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I've had good luck with a slew of bite-size tartlet pans I got a while ago from Bridge Kitchenware. However, due to Sandy, Bridge is not going to be available to order for a while longer (website says at least the second week in November).

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I use these. I have four of the squares and three of the round - I had ordered four but they backordered one and shipped me three and I never bothered to re-order it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett