• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding a Great Baguette in Lancaster PA

I hope I'm pasting this in the right place. I recently moved to Lancaster, PA and have been going out of my mind looking for a great, crusty baguette. Honestly, it almost seems like no one even knows what I'm talking about! All the bread I've found tends to be white and pasty on the outside though I have found a couple places that gets it light and fluffy on the inside. What I'm looking for is what in Spain we called "Pan de Barra" and to the best of my understanding is a Baguette.

From conversations I've had at a couple local bakeries they seem to hint that to make that bread requires a steam oven which no one here has (yet). I wonder if that's true or if there's some hidden little bakery out there making amazing bread that they don't want anyone to know about :hmmm: While I don't imagine that's the case, I kind of hope it is!

Seth Mariscal

The Nutty Food Lover

http://www.nuttyfoodlover.com

A Loaf of Bread in the little center across from the train station certainly has a steam oven. But since Mark Miller retired I don't go there anymore. I can't speak to what they are making there now.

But you are correct in that the kind of bread you want ain't easily found here.

Lee at La Dolce Vita makes some good bread, but not the style you seek