• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Pantry

Anna N

Following on Suvir's request to Eddie regarding an essential Chinese Pantry, can we begin to pull together the essential ingredients for an Indian Pantry? A few brand names would be helpful, too.

Curry leaves and Chaat Masala are two things I can think of.

Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Turmeric, haldi

Cumin seeds, zeera (powder as well if you do not have a spice grinder)

Coriander seeds, dhaniya (ditto)

Black Mustard seeds, rai

Nigella seeds, kalonji

panch phoron (Bengali five spice mix)

fenugreek seeds, methi daana

Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)

amchoor (mango powder)

cloves, laung

cardamom, elaichi

carom seeds, ajowain

Khus Khus, Indian white poppy seeds

Til (indian white sesame seeds)

sabut laal mirchi (whole dried red chiles)

Poha (dried beaten rice, thick)

Bhel Puri Mix

Coconut Flakes (unsweetened)

Curry leaves

Garam masala

bay leaves

fennel seeds, saunf

sonth, ginger powder

heeng (asafetida)

Kashmiri laal mirchi (red chili powder)

Chaat Masala

saffron

Tamco (tamarind paste)

Ginger Paste (for very lazy chefs)

Garlic Paste (for very lazy chef, or if you cannot find ginger root easily)

Chana Daal (split peas)

Urad Daal (split beans)

Besan (chickpea flour)

Atta (chapati flour)

Sooji (semolina)

Basmati chaawal (basmati rice)

sambhaar powder (if you want to ever make South Indian stews, or even tomato chutney. 777 Brand is great.

Thanks, that's quite a list!

Not sure on the deadline but certainly won't be able to make a trip to an Indian grocery store until at least the 27th.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

What a great list!! I should make it a checklist and keep it with me when I shop! I had done a very very basic list for Real Simple Magazine a while ago,

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/solut...y_5_032002.html

Of course, I would add a lot more things, they just wanted a bare minimum list

Happy Holidays!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Wow! Great Thread!

I have about 85% of what Suvir mentioned, so I guess I am on the right track here.

I did my Indian Pantry gradually since I don't cook it as much as someone from Indian would.

I started with the bare essentials, similar to what Monica mentioned in her article, and simple recipes. Then when I wanted to make something new, I would buy that extra spice or two that I didn't have. Sorta like a spice a month kind of thing.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wow! Great Thread!

I have about 85% of what Suvir mentioned, so I guess I am on the right track here.

I did my Indian Pantry gradually since I don't cook it as much as someone from Indian would.

I started with the bare essentials, similar to what Monica mentioned in her article, and simple recipes. Then when I wanted to make something new, I would buy that extra spice or two that I didn't have. Sorta like a  spice a month kind of thing.

That is the best way to do it.

In fact I am always adding new stuff to the pantry.

And I often will buy small quantities, just in case I never use some things.

I've got only 65%, but I started the Indian adventure just a couple of weeks ago.

65% is great. You are way ahead of most of us. I keep very few at home.

But that works for me as I live in a city where we have easy access to Indian grocers.

I like the idea of having to make a trip to them, it makes it possible for me to get those tropical vegetables that are not as easily found at other stores.

And also keeps spices and ingredients fresher.

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I just wanted to thank you guys for the lists! I am new to the Indian boards, (I have been missing out on a lot all this time!) because I am just starting to get intersted in Indian cuisine. It is not hugely popular here (In Virginia) So I unfortunately can't get to an Indian grocer when I need to pick up a new spice. Does anyone have a good mail-order source for some of these things? Even a mediocre mail-order source would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I just wanted to thank you guys for the lists! I am new to the Indian boards, (I have been missing out on a lot all this time!) because I am just starting to get intersted in Indian cuisine. It is not hugely popular here (In Virginia) So I unfortunately can't get to an Indian grocer when I need to pick up a new spice. Does anyone have a good mail-order source for some of these things? Even a mediocre mail-order source would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

Timo, I can help. PM me and I can send you addresses for local stores, mail order etc. Where are you in VA? I went to school in Lynchburg. I am based here locally, if I can help guide you to a resturant or food store, I would be happy to do so

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica is your best bet for local stores.

Try namaste.com for an online Indian grocer. They are reliable.

amchoor (mango powder)

:blink::blink:

What's all this then? What does one use it for, Suvir?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

amchoor (mango powder)

:blink::blink:

What's all this then? What does one use it for, Suvir?

Jinmyo, amchoor is used in many Indian dishes to add sourness to the item being prepared. It is great in those occasions when you want sour flavor but have no lemons, limes or tomatoes available.

• 1 month later...
amchoor (mango powder) is used in many Indian dishes to add sourness

does it also serve the purpose of tenderizing tougher cuts of meat?

I thought it was papaya that contained the tenderizing enzyme. Does mango also tenderize?

amchoor (mango powder) is used in many Indian dishes to add sourness

does it also serve the purpose of tenderizing tougher cuts of meat?

I thought it was papaya that contained the tenderizing enzyme. Does mango also tenderize?

Green papaya is used to tenderize.

Green mango is used for sourness.

In a very few dishes, pineapple when raw, is used as a tenderizer.

In fact in India, pregnant women tend not to eat pineapple and papaya for the safety of the baby.

• 1 month later...

Finally made it to an Indian grocery store with my pantry list in hand. One of the staff helped me find all the things on my list and then was kind enough to give me her name and phone number in case I had questions! Now, if only tomatoes were in season I could try a batch of Suvir's chutney! Thanks for everyone's help in compiling a list and for all the good advice. Anna N

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, you can make the chutney with whatever best tomatoes you can find and some canned ones.

It is quite good still.

If you have all that you need for it, do not worry.

I was hoping you would say that, Suvir! :biggrin: I'll be looking for some tomatoes, canned or otherwise to make my first batch in the next couple of weeks! I'll let you know how it turns out. Anna N

My 2004 eG Blog

Tinned tomatoes are often my preferred choice for many dishes. Even when the season is in, I find the intensity of a tin of Italian tomatoes better.

In the CTM I gave the recipe for the other day, I use tinned tom's as a preference and just use quatered fresh at the end to give some texture

S

Tinned tomatoes are often my preferred choice for many dishes.  Even when the season is in, I find the intensity of a tin of Italian tomatoes better. 

In the CTM I gave the recipe for the other day, I use tinned tom's as a preference and just use quatered fresh at the end to give some texture

S

Thanks, Simon. I will mix canned and "fresh" and see how it all turns out. I am finding a noticeable improvement in the tomatoes available in winter - nowhere near the field tomatoes but not nearly as disgusting as they used to be! Anna N

My 2004 eG Blog

OK - need more help on understanding ingredients:

Rock salt - The helpful woman in the Indian grocery store gave me a bag of stuff that looks like quartz crystals - very large - dice size and bigger. Package says "sindhi salt". But some masala recipes call for a teaspoon of rock salt - do I crush this stuff? Some call for "black salt" which I also have and which looks pinkish purple and the label says "black salt powder". Please clue me in as to what each is used for and why it seems "black salt" and "rock salt" are sometimes used as synonyms but other places suggest that rock salt is not food grade.

Also mustard oil - my bottle says "for massage use only" :unsure: YIKES!

My 2004 eG Blog

OK - need more help on understanding ingredients:

Also mustard oil - my bottle says "for massage use only"  :unsure:  YIKES!

Most mustard oil in NYC stores are imported from France - They do indeed say 'for external use only' I think they should be OK.

Mustard and Coconut oils are also popular in India for massages and other external uses.

anil

• 1 year later...

I want to dredge up this thread again, since I also am curious about sihndi salt and black salt. I saw black salt at the store and wondered what it was used for, and what flavor it imparted. Who wants to elucidate?