• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Pantry

Suvir Saran

Jo-mel, how do you use this Koon Chun BBQ sauce? I have a jar in my pantry but never used it.

Oops! I thought I replied to this. I wonder where I sent it?? LOL!

Anyway, the Koon Chun, as with any of the Chinese BBQ sauces, can be used as a marinade, to brush on while grilling, as a flavoring like hoisin sauce, used in baking, BBQing, etc.

It can be used on any meat -- chicken, wings, pork strips, ribs, beef, lamb, brushed on shrimp while grilling, etc. Very versatile!

Now, let me click on 'add reply' and see what happens ------------

Do you add any other ingredients to this BBQ sauce or use it as is?

Just the way it is. It is a take-off on hoisin sauce. The BBQ sauce has some tomato added to it. If it seems too thick, just thin it out with a little sherry or ShaoXing wine.

• 2 months later...
I usually steam it for 20-30 mins then slice it thin on the diagonal and use it in fried rice, noodles, chicken and rice. Also good with cabbage or green beans. Use it like bacon.

It's very good stir-fried with cucumber or Chinese Lettuce (Celtuce). Steam or parboil and slice on the bias first, as you suggested.

Edited by Gary Soup (log)

Instead of char sui bao, I often cook extra sausages with my rice, cut each into halves, wrap some bao dough around them and steam.

You can also deep fry them, then slice diagonally and serve as appetizer.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I use Chinese sausage in a chicken sandy pot casserole.

Also, I mix some minced sausage in with the ground pork when I make Pearl Balls.

When I'm doing a Dim Sum thing or want an extra appetizer, I slice them into thin diagonal fingers and stack them like a wheel in a small steamer. Steam them and serve with a soy dip.

One of my Chinese students gave me this today along with the following description in her e-mail.

>a small bag of Lin Zhi( Chinese soup ingredients).It

looks like big mushroom.Ling Zhi is one kind of the Chinese medicine which

is very good for helping people sleep well at night

Anyone know what this is?

It's too cold to run over to show Mom ...

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com