• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ingredients for Molecular Gastronomy

Does anyone know of a place in Ottawa or the Ottawa area where I can find the ingredients I need for molecular gastronomy? So far, I have been able to find a few things but the more "chemically" things as I think of them as, I have been unable to find. If anyone can give me some pointers, I'd be grateful. Or, if you know of reliable mail order sources, I'd be happy with that too. Thank you.

Depends on what you are looking for, honestly. ModernistPantry.com ships internationally for pretty reasonable prices, and they sell just about everything in small to medium portions (like, good for a dozen or so servings, rather than 2 kilo restaurant packages).

Homebrew supply houses also sell a lot of the stuff that is used - I think there is a DeFalco's in Ottawa? Any of them will have things like clarifying agents, calcium salts, etc.

Edited by Dexter (log)

Thank you Dexter and Okanagancook. Yes, there is a Defalco's here and I will see what they have and as you both pointed out, I can order from Modernist Pantry. However, if any more locals want to chime in with suggestions, I'm all ears (or rather, eyes).