• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoke Point

gfweb

• 4 years later...

Smoke point has more to do with the level of refinement than the kind of oil.

I usually used a refined safflower oil, marketed as "high heat." It's what I use anyhow for sauteeing, it's not expensive, and it's very high in unsaturated fats, so seasoning things goes quickly.

I don't actually know how big a difference smoke point makes. To properly season a pan you have to go beyond the smoke point. If you're not carbonizing some of the oil, the finish will be sticky.

Notes from the underbelly

I doubt that you need to go to the smoke point for oils to polymerize  

but your coating has to be thin or it is going to take a long time for the oil to ' dry '

why do I say this ?

Ive done a lot of woodworking and and oil finish is a very common finish.

boiled linseed is one of them , but there are newer concoctions that have ' drying ' agents mixed in.

along w other stuff that can give you a matt or gloss finish  etc

it take 24 - 48 hours for these thin coatings to ' dry ' and get ' hard '

no smoke point involved.

Im wondering if those who have had flaking w flax seed oil did not either develop very thin coats , or not let the coats completely polymerize

between applications.    once a layer is covered by another there might not be enough contact w oxygen for that layer that's n0ot completely 

polymerized and that area might flake off.

the key is  very thin layers , and a lot of patience between layers.

between layers Personal Beverages are helpful , in my experience.

• Like 1