• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory (not sweet) puff pastry ideas

mskerr

Puff pastry makes just about everything better, IMHO. Not being interested in sweets, I've been stockpiling savory ideas for when (fingers crossed) Trader Joe's restocks their artisan puff pastry.... or I finally tackle trying to make it myself in the depths of winter.

My usual recipes are New Zealand- style minced beef, onion and cheese pie; Kiwi "bacon and egg" pie (with what we Americans call ham, with cheese and mixed veggies); Kiwi sausage roll (ground sausage with bread crumbs, thyme, onion, and tomato paste); or a tuna, cheese, onion, and egg roll that guests love for breakfast, with tapatio of course.

I'm sure there's a million other things to do... recipes & brainstorms, please!

Beef Wellington is classic. I once worked at a restaurant where we poached a whole side of salmon, cooled it and then wrapped it in puff pastry "en croute," baked it, and then sliced it and served it with a cream sauce.

Keep the ideas coming, they all sound delicious!

And I am happy to report that the puff pastry was in stock at Trader Joe's today - $4 for two sheets. I bought five boxes. Going to be eating a lot of puff pastry.

I have just watched a chef make choux pastry balls, and instead of a cream filling then topping with chocolate he made

a mixture from goats cheese herbs and cream then presented three 'balls' after a slight nuke in the micro. to start a slight melt, along with a frizzee salad. It was dished up as a starter.

You could do the same kind of thing with puff pastry( with some thought/)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

mskerr,

You could make Flammenküche (tarte flambée). Although puff pastry is not traditional it works well too. It's just puff pastry with a thin layer of crème fraîche, sliced onions and lardons (diced smoked bacon) - one of my favorite simple meals with a green salad. There are a couple of ideas for savory tarts on the Lucques thread: Young Onion Tart with Cantal and Applewood-Smoked Bacon and Swiss Chard Tart with Goat Cheese. The book also has a tomato tart recipe (with onions and anchovies) and a mushroom tart recipe both with puff pastry that look good but that I have not had a chance to try. Pissaladière is another French savory tart that can work with puff pastry - the topping is caramelized onions, olives and anchovies. I think that it would be fairly easy to come up with your own version based on what ingredients you have at hand. I found that the key is to have a light hand with the toppings (especially the wet ingredients).

If you are feeling more ambitious I know that there are savory versions of tarte tatin with puff pastry that use tomatoes or endives for example.

I love TJ's puff pastry! (It's also great for pithiviers/galette des rois - see my icon picture - if you ever get in the mood for something sweet).

Bourekes - triangles (or rectangles) filled with any number of things. Popular fillings are potato and golden browned onion, mushroom and onion or leek, spinach, cheese, spinach & cheese, cheese and olives, etc. etc. Whatever you can think of.

Bourekes- triangles (or rectangles) filled with any number of things. Popular fillings are potato and golden browned onion, mushroom and onion or leek, spinach, cheese, spinach & cheese, cheese and olives, etc. etc. Whatever you can think of.

On the same train of thought - spanakopita (although traditionally made with phyllo).