• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German/Austrian Restaurants

babern38

I like German/Austrian food, but find myself eating it only a few times a year. One reason for this is probably the relatively few (at least that I know of) restaurants in the city serving such fare. I've really enjoyed every meal I've had at Wallse, Heidelberg, Currywurst, and Seasonal weinbar. I actually just visited Heidelberg for the first time a few weeks ago and am sad I hadn't gone sooner. The Rouladen was exceptional.

I was hoping people may offer a few other suggestions of this relatively sparse ethnic cuisine so that I can up my frequency.

Is Silver Swan still around? It used to be good, but may have gone downhill and/or closed.

Rolf's has gone way downhill - avoid at all costs.

Co-sign on Heidelburg - it's great.

Zum Stammtisch in Glendale (Queens) might be my favorite. The goulash soup is to die for.

I thought Wallse was just OK.

I'm surprised Weinoo hasn't chimed in yet, but a great choice is Cafe Katja on Orchard st. In the LES. Personally, I also like Blaue Gans, a KB restaurant like Wallse but casual and less expensive.

But he will, he will :laugh: :laugh: .

Cafe Kaja, after a summer long renovation, is now double the size and looks great inside and out. The menu has grown too, only slightly at first, but expect it to continue expanding. As a matter of fact, I had a new trout dish on my first visit back, but what I'm really waiting for is the schnitzel!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Is Silver Swan still around? It used to be good, but may have gone downhill and/or closed.

Rolf's has gone way downhill - avoid at all costs.

Co-sign on Heidelburg - it's great.

Zum Stammtisch in Glendale (Queens) might be my favorite. The goulash soup is to die for.

I thought Wallse was just OK.

It gives me a headache just to walk by Rolf's... even when it's not Christmas-time....

I'd second Katja, newly enlarged & reopened. I've also liked (at a somewhat less refined level) Loreley. And, of course, Prime Meats (in Bklyn, from the Frankies) seems to be German-ish in intent if not a full blown ethnic experience. I'm not a Blaue Gans fan, but recognize it may well fit the bill.

Unfortunately, Silver Swan closed 4 years ago.

Edited by Steve R. (log)

Let me reclarify my Blaue Gans recommendation - I like certain things there, but other than those, I could take or leave it. I like the palatschinken, their wurst plates (although Katja's are just as good and a better value), and the schnitzel. That's about it... sometimes they'll have a sauteed fish dish which is usually pretty good, but nothing necessarily Austrian about it. What I liked most was the fact we could make a reservation (usually same day) and get there and not have to wait. I loved Katja, but haven't gone as often as I'd have liked just because I never knew if we'd be able to get a seat when we could get there (unless we went early) and I didn't want to wait a long time for a seat. I haven't been back since the renovation, but I would like to get there soon to check it out - it's very tasty and a great value, especially if you can get seats pretty easily. Especially if they'll be serving schnitzel!

• 1 month later...

To Quote:

"Zum Stammtisch in Glendale (Queens) might be my favorite."

sorry to say, 'guested' the "Tisch" mid August

Steak Tartar, what an aweful 'mess'. must have been ground, ground and ground again as Chopped Chicken Liver is coarser.

Not served as a 'mount' but spread on triangular cut pieces of so called Rye bread. Bread was soggy and blood red, although the 'mush' was not leaking any juices. Tasted a bread piece without 'topping' and determined Beet Juice created the soggyness and redness.

Anyone please recommend any place for a fine Steak Tartar please

Peter

• 2 weeks later...