• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unlikely Food Combos and Preparations

boudin noir

A few months ago on a lark, for my wife who loves donuts, I sliced some sugared (not powdered) donuts like bagels and fried them in butter until they were brown and crisp. They were elevated to a high level of decadence. As a kid one of my favorite sandwiches was liverwurst and Welch's grape jelly.

This AM in the NYTimes there was an article describing peanut butter and pickel sandwiches. This AM there was on NPR an article about grilled cheese and donut sandwiches.

What are some other unlikely but good food combos or preparations?

I had a burger with a scoop of peanut butter on it - it was tasty. PB and bacon on toast is also good.

Thinly-sliced raw turnip and butter on crusty bread makes a great snack (especially if you can get the little white Japanese ones).

Open and drain a small can of tuna and dump it on a plate. Scoop out a like amount of cottage cheese and add it to the plate, next to the tuna. Sprinkle the cottage cheese with Lawry's seasoned salt, to taste. Put a bit of tuna and cottage cheese on your fork for each mouthful, eat, and repeat until gone.

Open and drain a small can of tuna and dump it on a plate. Scoop out a like amount of cottage cheese and add it to the plate, next to the tuna. Sprinkle the cottage cheese with Lawry's seasoned salt, to taste. Put a bit of tuna and cottage cheese on your fork for each mouthful, eat, and repeat until gone.

Robirdstx, try it with Old Bay with lemon and... garlic, I think? Yummy! Lemon adds a nice zing.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

classic diced apple in tuna salad...fruit + fish, how can it be? but it works (particularly with granny smith apple, for more tartness)

I wonder if it came out of a mash up in the 50's when someone had both waldorf salad and tuna salad on their plate!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Chili on waffles. This was a "dish" that was served at a San Francisco restaurant famous for its waffles when I was stationed there in the late 1950s.

The Roundhouse Restaurant was at the SF end of the Golden Gate Bridge in the Plaza - it's now a visitors center.

Our barracks was close to the Lombard street entrance to the bridge approach so every Sunday morning we used to walk across the bridge and back and go to the Roundhouse for breakfast. On evenings when we had passes we would walk up the approach and have dinner, often chili on waffles.

I've served chili with waffles for lunch, supper, cool weather parties. It's an interesting combo.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett