• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me be a better in-home bartender

Fat Guy

Dale, I suck at making cocktails. I didn't grow up in a house where they were a part of life, I don't drink a lot of them, and my liquor cabinet is full of top-shelf stuff mostly unopened. When people come over and I offer them mixed drinks, I secretly hope they'll say no because I don't actually know how to make any mixed drinks and I don't actually have any mixers around. Can you help me devise a strategy for elevating my level of bartending? What's the bare minimum level of inventory and knowledge I need in order to be a good host?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dear Fat Guy,

Become famous for a drink at you house…I suggest you choose a drink with wide appeal like the margarita, people drink it all year round and it is only three ingredients. Practice the drink until you have it down cold and can make it in your sleep. Forever more parties at your house will be famous for that drink.

I don’t mean to imply that you should not stock a bar…you should have a regular bar especially of you entertain on a regular basis…here is a regular bar:HOME BAR

Liquor (one of each)

Rum

Vodka- hot brands: Belvedere, Kettle One

Gin- Beefeater, Tanqueray

Scotch- one blended, one malt

Bourbon

Sweet Vermouth- Italian

Dry Vermouth- French

Brandy/Cognac

Choose two:

Dubonnet

Lillet

Sherry

Campari

Cynar

Cinzano Bianco

Simple syrup

Equal parts sugar and water by volume. Shake ingredients vigorously in a cork bottle until all the sugar dissolves

White wine • Red wine

Flavorings and Condiments

Angostura Bitters

Grenadine

Tabasco

Worcestershire Sauce

Cocktail Olives

Cocktail onions

Cherries

Juices

Orange juice

Grapefruit juice

Cranberry juice

Tomato juice

Tools

Muddler

Cocktail spoon

Two part Boston Shaker Set (glass & metal)

Cocktail Strainer

Funnel

Wine opener

Bottle/can opener

Glassware

All purpose wine glass

Stem cocktail glass

Rocks glass

Highball glass

Brandy snifter

Fruits & Garnish

Lemons