• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

Braising is long cooking at lowish temperature in liquid. The idea is to  tenderize tough meat without overcooking by keeping it mostly immersed in liquid (which won't go over 212F).  The long cook will tenderize tough cuts like oxtail. You would destroy a tender cut like tenderloin.

I like a pot in the oven because you know what temp it is and who knows what temp a slow cooker gets to?

A secondary benefit is that you can build a sauce with the liquid. I like short ribs braised at 250F x 3 hours in red wine/garlic/onion/carrot/soy and a spoon of tomato paste.. you can let t he meat rest in the sauce which makes it taste better and then reduce the liquid for serving.

gfweb

gfweb

Braising is long cooking at lowish temperature in liquid. The idea is to keep tenderize tough meat without overcooking by keeping it mostly immersed in liquid (which won't go over 212F).  The long cook will tenderize tough cuts like oxtail. You would destroy a tender cut like tenderloin.

I like a pot in the oven because you know what temp it is and who knows what temp a slow cooker gets to?

A secondary benefit is that you can build a sauce with the liquid. I like short ribs braised at 250F x 3 hours in red wine/garlic/onion/carrot/soy and a spoon of tomato paste.. you can let t he meat rest in the sauce which makes it taste better and then reduce the liquid for serving.