• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Plaque vs Icing Plaque

Coreen

Hi there,

I have been working on to do small plaque for writing messages. Currently working with chocolate plaques, but am curious on icing plaque too. Have read about royal icing on this forum and have some ques about these two plaques.

1) Chocolate Plaque, as is made of chocolate, we cant use any colour that contains liquid in them. Other that chocolate piping, is there any colour pen out there?

2) Icing Plaque, as compared to chocolate plaque, which melts faster? Will it be easier to dealt with & write on as compared to chocolate plaques?

3) I intend to do a few to keep for use only when customers request for plaques, am i able to do so? Or plaques could only be made and use at that moment?

Thank You.

Hi Coreen,

For writing on chocolate, you can hand-paint the chocolate using colored cocoa butter, or pipe it on if you are good at that. There are even letter stamps you can buy at craft stores which are really small. Look in the clay/modeling section.

Royal icing should last a while if you keep it out of humid environments. The thing you have to watch is putting it on or near anything where there is oil or grease. Royal icing will break down on buttercream.

I think as long as you keep both mediums stored away from light and humidity, you are safe to make some up ahead of time and have them ready for your customers.

Annie

Oh, you can colour chocolate.

There are fat soluable colours, or you can use ready-prepared coloured cocoa butter which is exactly the same thing--at 10 times the cost. I like to tint my white chocolate with coloured cocoa butter--nice pastel shades, or you can even add dry colour powder direct to white chocolate.

The golden rule when working with fat soluable colours is to dissolve in warm cocoa butter and stir well--it won't dissolve very well. Let it cool down until it hardens, then warm up and stir again, it is now fully dissolved. The colours will settle down to the bottom of the cocoa butter eventually, so you have to stir or agitate it every so often.

Hope this helps

Have you considered making plaques from pastillage?

Yes, i have been reading a lot on all the possible ways to create a plaque that will not melt easily.

I found on wilton about marshmallow fondant, will be interested to give it a try over this weekend.

Do you do plaque or work with pastillage often??

Hi Coreen,

For writing on chocolate, you can hand-paint the chocolate using colored cocoa butter, or pipe it on if you are good at that. There are even letter stamps you can buy at craft stores which are really small. Look in the clay/modeling section.

Royal icing should last a while if you keep it out of humid environments. The thing you have to watch is putting it on or near anything where there is oil or grease. Royal icing will break down on buttercream.

I think as long as you keep both mediums stored away from light and humidity, you are safe to make some up ahead of time and have them ready for your customers.

Annie

Thank Q Annie.

I am bad at hand writing via pipping. But am practising along the way while getting the plaques up..

minas6907, on 17 October 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Have you considered making plaques from pastillage?

Yes, i have been reading a lot on all the possible ways to create a plaque that will not melt easily.

I found on wilton about marshmallow fondant, will be interested to give it a try over this weekend.

Do you do plaque or work with pastillage often??

I cant say that I work with pastillage on a regular basis, but I've made and used it enough times to know how durable of a material it is. You certainly will not have to worry about it melting, and it is less fragile then chocolate, as it dries rather hard. You can easily roll out a sheet and cut your plaques with a pastry wheel, and just set them aside to dry, allowing you to make many in advance. If you chocolate piping is not all that great, you can do cocoa painting/stamping, as the pastillage will give you a very smooth surface.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2