• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut oil

seabream

Is coconut oil sold in jars the same thing as "coconut cream" / "thick coconut milk"? Meaning, is it the same as the thicker coconut milk that floats to the top in canned coconut milk? And if so, has anyone tried to split it?

Or is it the oil that is obtained after splitting the cream?

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Is coconut oil sold in jars the same thing as "coconut cream" / "thick coconut milk"? Meaning, is it the same as the thicker coconut milk that floats to the top in canned coconut milk? And if so, has anyone tried to split it?

Or is it the oil that is obtained after splitting the cream?

Coconut cream, coconut milk and coconut oil are all different. Each product is labeled specifically as cream, milk or oil. I've never used the cream, but I know it is not interchangeable in recipes. All three products may be bought at the store. Coconut milk and coconut oil can be made at home from freshly grated coconut.

Coconut milk in the can is very commonly used as an ingredient in sweet and savory dishes among islanders. Most brands of coconut milk are thick, like the consistency of heavy cream, and might be labeled "thick;" a few are thin, like 2% milk, and perhaps even like skim milk. When you open a can of coconut milk, it might appear separated; just stir to combine.

Coconut oil is made by heating coconut milk and skimming the oil that rises to the top. You need so many coconuts to make coconut oil, thus it is quite expensive. Good quality coconut milk is clear and liquid; in cold environments, it will solidify and be white in color. Coconut oil is generally sold in a clear bottle or glass jar.

Shrimp cooked in coconut milk:

IMG_8590.jpg

:

Edited by pquinene (log)